“My Kingdom for Teriyaki Salmon?”
Review of Masu

Masu
Ranked #14 of 2,353 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: "A passion for flavour and dedication to detail" Welcome to MASU, the exciting Japanese robata restaurant and bar located in the Federal Street dining precinct. MASU brings atmosphere, passion and a contemporary twist to the traditional robata style of cooking over an open charcoal grill. My philosophy is simple - use fresh local ingredients, enhance the natural flavours of each dish and let the food speak for itself. This pure approach to cuisine is reflected in our clean, natural decor. Add to this a lively, informal atmosphere and you have a beautifully bold and dramatically different style of Japanese dining in the heart of Auckland. Nic Watt
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Hands down the best Japanese I have ever had. Crayfish Tacos - really, hell yes. Here was I thinking that Teriyaki anything was what someone ordered when they really wanted meat and 3 veg but Masu did something special. Only think that didn't taste perfect was dessert - sesame ice cream is dead boring.

Wine list is brilliant. Nothing else needs to be said. Drinks list on the whole is outstanding. I continue to enjoy experimenting with Japanese whiskey.

Service was good but not perfect. Our waiter was super enthusiastic but their system left us without drinks and searching for someone to help once or twice. I wouldn't bust a blood vessel over this, paying is the time to do that.

I didn't like the layout. Too busy, too noisey and we were too close to the door. I like seeing the kitchen, I like hearing the murmur of people having a good time but I personally enjoy an amount of intimacy with those I have chosen to dine with.

I don't like anything associated with Skycity and the trip back to the carpark, past the large families enjoying an evening gambling with the kids reminded me of this.

It is expensive. It is comparable with most fine dining experiences but it isn't fine dining. To me it is more of a bistro environment. I also struggle with how raw fish can cost that much. Don't get me wrong the sashimi is beautiful - I haven't had better. It is however raw fish on a plate.

Am I glad I went - yes, it sets the bar. Will I go back - no, I can get pretty close for a fraction of the price and without going anywhere near Skycity.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the food. You have an option for a more traditional Japanese, or you can try something with a modern twist. For starters, we had sashimi, they were out of Fatty tuna on this evening, so we had the middle tuna belly, salmon, and kingfish, along with the soft shell crab and spicy tuna maki. What an amazing start, the freshness of the fish, YUM, and the middle tuna belly just melts in your mouth! If you like something spicy, the jalapeno gives a great spicy kick in the spicy tuna maki. For our mains, we had the miso cod, and the prawn tempura. Both dishes were cooked the way we like it and the taste sensations brought us back to our times in Tokyo. Simply delicious. We didn't end there, and topped of the night with a yummy chocolate pudding with green tea on top, and miso ice cream on the side. If you have spare 20 minutes and you love chocolate, this is well worth the wait.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

The best japanese restaurant in Auckland. Price a bit high but you get what you pay for. I love spinach salad and Jindara fish. Very crowded restaurant. You better to book first.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a large, open and can be noisy Japanese restaurant near the casino in Auckland. The dinner menu is best left to the server to assist, although the night we went the server was French, but very accomplished and helped us choose great food. Certainly the best in our selection would be the edamame, the ika no kari kari age - (crispy fried squid with green chili and lime); the grilled mushroom, green chilli and garlic butter was fantastic; the seared beef tataki, was first class - so much so we doubled up on these three dishes and enjoyed them again. Also of note were the prawn tempura (ebi) and if you are close to the cooking area you can watch these being prepared literally by hand.

Food quality is excellent, coupled with a extensive beer and wine list, makes for a complete experience. Only problem, try and find a quiet place or day.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Voted #1 in Auckland I had high expectations. The sashimi was Sooo thick and some had skin so had to retrieve from mouth..not so a good start. We had the $120 degustation.. The soft shell crab was delicious. Then baby brocoli( hard to eat with chop sticks) uninteresting mushroom slices, miso soup with clam and chewy spongy tofu, along with superb Black Cod and Beef all arrived at the same time
We had to ask for a second wine, clean plates and more water. The desert was stunning in its presentation, a wonderful finale.
There are better Japanese restaurants in Auckland...

2  Thank KiwiGranNewZealand