“got no sleep”

Nomads Auckland Hostel
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is the place to be if you want to part of the "party": loud, overcrowded, hot, packed rooms etc. etc. Stay away in case you look for some sleep. Even single rooms are no escape. The only advatage is the 24h reception (compared to YHA) and the strategic location near Queen St /CBD.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Nadine K, Manager at Nomads Auckland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi there,
thank you very much for your review. We are afraid to hear that you couldn't get a rest due to the noise. We are surrounded by night clubs/bars and unfortunately due to no air condition in our rooms windows are the only option for fresh air. We hand out free ear plugs from reception to reduce the noise volume. We hope you have a great time traveling on.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'm currently sat in my room at Nomads, its 2:42am i haven't been to sleep yet and doubt i will tonight, i feel like i'm in the middle of a sweaty nightclub. (So thought i'd make the most of my time and write my review) No fan in the room so you have the have the window open and the noise from the bar downstairs is unbelievable, I asked for a quieter room when i booked and was apparently given a room furthest from the bar. We're on the 6th floor but like I said we might as well be in the club!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nadine K, Manager at Nomads Auckland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Hi there,
thank you very much for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you experienced excessive heat in your room while staying with us. Unfortunately we don't have air-conditioning inside the hostel. We will purchase further fans but fresh air is still the better option which unfortunately increases the noise level. We hand out free ear plugs at reception as well. Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff and great location. Now that's the positives over with.

Me and my fiancée stayed in a private room with an en suite bathroom but with no windows. We thought this would be ok as it was only for one night. It was quite possibly the worst experience we have ever had. I can not believe its legal to have a room with no ventilation. It was so hot that we had to prop the door open at night with the bin and also borrow a fan off reception. It must have been over 30 degrees in there.

Best avoided but generally looked clean for a hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Oxchops

Hi there,
thank you very much for your review. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with our staff during your stay. We are sorry about the heat you experienced in your room. Unfortunately we don't have air-conditioning inside the hostel and we only have about 2 very hot months per year. We will purchase further fans to make the heat more bearable especially in our no window rooms.
We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Thanks,
Nomads Auckland Management

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Recently stayed in an 8 bed room.You guys have a bug problem I have big insect bites all over my arms and a nasty red one on my torso other people in my room got bites aswell Will never stay here again

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi there,
we are very sorry to hear that you got bitten while staying with us. At this time of year due to the humidity there are lots of insects and mosquitos around town and it is hard to avoid them. Can you please email us in which room you stayed in so we can get our housekeeping team to inspect it? Our email address is info@nomadsauckland.com
Thanks very much,
Nomads Auckland Management

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hostel I agree has a good location. However my private double room had the following faults the bed squeaked like mad! As there was a single bunk bed above the double bed I could see various graffitti etched/written in the wooden slats!! The bathroom although quite clean had a drain in the floor which smelt intermittantly!! My room was on floor 5 and the noise from what I assume is the bar was atrocious until about 3am even shutting my window made no difference.

The staff apart from Zoe I found indifferent! Zoe was friendly and did provide one Godsend on my arrival to hostel early in morning after a red eye flight from Perth I was allowed to check in early and as no bar noise I did get a few hours sleep. Little did I know I would later need it!!!!

Also the travel shop for this hostel was where I booked my Magic Pass. I gave clear instructions with the days and stated flying out of Wellington on 13th Dec. Despite this they requested to Magic I was booked on the bus back to Auckland!!! Needless to say I found this out when I phoned to double check things!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you really want to party all night in their bar and aren't a discerni...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Nadine K, Manager at Nomads Auckland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Hi there,

thank you very much for your review. Unfortunately we are surrounded by bars/night clubs where the noise is out of our control but we hand out free ear plugs to our guests to ease the noise level. As we like to improve on our customer service at all time I would like to know more about your staff experience and also the travel shop where you experienced a misunderstanding when planning your trip. If you could please email me under nadine@nomadsworld.com

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for one night and couldn't have possibly stayed any longer. We stayed in a 12 person dorm and the smell inside was almost unbearable. There were toenails in the luggage drawers and holes in our beds. The bathroom was next door and not pleasant in the least. In it there was a hand dryer that woke most of the people in the room any time it was used. The window in the room had to be kept open all night due to the smell and the heat which was inconvenient seeing as there was a club going until all hours in the morning. I could not recommend this place to anyone but the location is good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vonbe123

Hi there,
thank you for your review. We are shocked to hear that you found toe nails in your drawer. This is not acceptable!
Our large dorms are getting very busy and due to the amount of people in the rooms the windows have to stay open. We do offer smaller size of dorm rooms, like 4-8 bed dorms.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and hope you will decide to give us another chance please contact us under info@nomadsauckland.com so that we can look after you.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Nomads Auckland is a good hostel in the middle of action :-) They have a great bar and restaurant, good deals on food and drinks, comfy beds, nice facilities. It's.very close to Kiwi experience office and a pick up point. In general worth your money.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hi there,

thank you very much for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you have a great time traveling NZ on the Kiwi Experience bus.