Stayed here on 3 separate occasions on our trip in NZ last year and each time it seemed to get worse! we only stayed the third time as we were offered a very good rate.
The location is great - so close to everything!
Staff - most were nice the first time we went, by our last visit some of the staff had changed and their attitudes were awful, some were rude and unhelpful.
Rooms - stayed in an 8 bed female only, they only have a few of these rooms and they vary in size slightly (so can be cramped if room is full), they do have large lockers. Be aware they check people in at all hours - so you might get woken up by new arrivals at 2am!
Shared bathroom was a good size, only seemed to be busy when the hostel was full. There are often puddles left after people have had showers. They also turn the handriers off late evening (as apparently it can be heard in one of the dorms) but they dont have any handtowels or anything to dry your hands on.
Kitchen - it's often busy as it is far too small for the size of the hostel, little space to cook/sit down and eat. Most of the hobs dont work, fridges are always full and your stuff will get moved if not stolen. We were told the kitchen is cleaned several times a day, but we saw someone cut raw meat on the worktop by the sink, they didnt clean up after themselves and the cleaner later wiped the side down with a cloth and just water. There was often piles of washing up in the sink & there was nothing to dry your washing up on either, so things pile up on the draining boards until the cleaner/staff empties them.
They have a bar connected to the hostel - really nice, good food and when we were there the hostel gave out vouchers for drinks discount/food offers - although we had to ask several times for them last time!
Thankfully when we complained the manager was very good and we managed to cut our last stay there short! would not recommend and definitely would not stay again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Backpack in style at Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel. We're located in a beautiful historic building in downtown Auckland, near everything you need for your stay in this fantastic city. Come stay at our stylish, upmarket hostel in the central city, We have some female-only dorms as well as mixed dorms and private rooms! We have great facilities, with a friendly atmosphere and crew who will cater to your every whim. Our travel staff were hand-picked to ensure you will have a trip to remember!We're in an awesome downtown Auckland location, close to Vector Arena, Skytower, Viaduct Harbour, the train station and all the downtown shops - it's the perfect place to stay in Auckland. Our facilities include 24-hour reception, Global Gossip internet and Wi-Fi, and a rooftop kitchen with panoramic views of the city and harbour. We have free tea and coffee, free travel advice (no booking fees) and free 2-for-1 drinks vouchers at check-in. Hang out on our rooftop sundeck, communal kitchen or our lounge with Sky TV. Chill out in our free sauna and rooftop spa then head down to Fort Street Union Bar to meet travellers from all over the world. We put on free and cheap daily activities all around Auckland. FREE 30min WIFI each day. FREE Tea & Coffee FREE Sauna FREE Heated Spa FREE Travel advice (no booking fees) FREE/Cheap daily activities around Auckland ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel New Zealand