We stayed here a couple of weeks after the World Cup ended, so the prices had gone back down again and were pretty reasonable. Booked a budget (windowless) double bed ensuite room at $61 a night, but when we checked in, we were given a deluxe room (with a window) instead.
The room itself is tiiiiny, which I don't really mind as long as its clean. It was more or less clean, but we did spy a few roaches running around throughout our 6 day stay so perhaps it wasn't as clean as it seemed. There was also an extra bunk bed above the double bed which was quite annoying because we were constantly bumping our heads on it.
Toilet was small as well, but pretty spotless. It could do with more hooks for clothes or perhaps a small shelf for toiletries.
For that sized hostel, the shared kitchen wasn't quite big enough for everyone, and it was hard to navigate during peak hour meal times. Finding a storage space in the shelves or fridges for your food is rather tricky.
The staff of Nomads were generally helpful but distant. When we wanted to extend our stay from 3 to 6 nights, the first person we spoke to at the reception told us he'd have to charge us the rack rate of $100+ a night unless we made the booking online. But later on a different girl at the reception was able to extend our booking in our room at the same rate we paid without us having to do it online. So it pretty much depends on who you get really...
Overall, mattress was a bit too thin, the Fort Union bar a bit too loud too late in the night, but generally for the price we paid, it's a really decent place right smack in the middle of Auckland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Backpack in style at Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel. We're located in a beautiful historic building in downtown Auckland, near everything you need for your stay in this fantastic city. Come stay at our stylish, upmarket hostel in the central city, We have some female-only dorms as well as mixed dorms and private rooms! We have great facilities, with a friendly atmosphere and crew who will cater to your every whim. Our travel staff were hand-picked to ensure you will have a trip to remember!We're in an awesome downtown Auckland location, close to Vector Arena, Skytower, Viaduct Harbour, the train station and all the downtown shops - it's the perfect place to stay in Auckland. Our facilities include 24-hour reception, Global Gossip internet and Wi-Fi, and a rooftop kitchen with panoramic views of the city and harbour. We have free tea and coffee, free travel advice (no booking fees) and free 2-for-1 drinks vouchers at check-in. Hang out on our rooftop sundeck, communal kitchen or our lounge with Sky TV. Chill out in our free sauna and rooftop spa then head down to Fort Street Union Bar to meet travellers from all over the world. We put on free and cheap daily activities all around Auckland. FREE 30min WIFI each day. FREE Tea & Coffee FREE Sauna FREE Heated Spa FREE Travel advice (no booking fees) FREE/Cheap daily activities around Auckland ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel New Zealand