“Good place to stay if you manage to snag a good deal”

Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here a couple of weeks after the World Cup ended, so the prices had gone back down again and were pretty reasonable. Booked a budget (windowless) double bed ensuite room at $61 a night, but when we checked in, we were given a deluxe room (with a window) instead.

The room itself is tiiiiny, which I don't really mind as long as its clean. It was more or less clean, but we did spy a few roaches running around throughout our 6 day stay so perhaps it wasn't as clean as it seemed. There was also an extra bunk bed above the double bed which was quite annoying because we were constantly bumping our heads on it.

Toilet was small as well, but pretty spotless. It could do with more hooks for clothes or perhaps a small shelf for toiletries.

For that sized hostel, the shared kitchen wasn't quite big enough for everyone, and it was hard to navigate during peak hour meal times. Finding a storage space in the shelves or fridges for your food is rather tricky.

The staff of Nomads were generally helpful but distant. When we wanted to extend our stay from 3 to 6 nights, the first person we spoke to at the reception told us he'd have to charge us the rack rate of $100+ a night unless we made the booking online. But later on a different girl at the reception was able to extend our booking in our room at the same rate we paid without us having to do it online. So it pretty much depends on who you get really...

Overall, mattress was a bit too thin, the Fort Union bar a bit too loud too late in the night, but generally for the price we paid, it's a really decent place right smack in the middle of Auckland.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Nomads rubbed me up the worng way during my stay for so many reasons:

- we travelled to Auckland at the time of the world cup where prices were sky high but realistically you cannot blame them for that

- we specifically booked this Nomads because on the internet it was described at having parking. And as we had a campervan this was ideal. If you count the pay paking across the road which is $60 a day then i suppose they do have parking, surely every hostel in the whole world could say it has parking. PLEASE DONT EXPECT CAR PARKING, there isnt any.

- when youre paying $46 per night for a 12 bed dorm you expect a good shower. The water was only dribbling out of the shower and then after i had lathered with soap the water went ooff completely. I was so mad but the staff excused this by saying the council went doing water maintainence and it was outwith their control.

- the kitchen is really very poor, no clean dishes (but i do understand this happens everywhere), very limited equipment and no microwave which was unusual i thought

- the bedroom was fine, a standard dorm but i wouldnt describe it a flashpacking as the website states

- on a positive note the staff were good and good security at night. The TV area and bar were good, and a great location, but overall i would not recommend this hostel.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linsey S
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I like Nomads as far as the big chain Hostels go I always rate Nomads. This was no different to my expectations for a busy big City Hostel it was clean but not spotless, noisy but not too loud ect.
My main complaints were with the size of the Kitchen and the rooms, the Kitchen was no where near big enough for the amount of people staying in the Hostel. Most nights I had to eat standing in a corner but there were plenty of hobs and kitchenware to use. The room was tiny and no where near enough space for the 8 people who were staying in there, it got very hot at night and beds were very small (I'm only 5"1 so this would be a big problem for anyone taller).
The location of the Hostel though was amazing one of the best in town nearest the train station and bus drop off point.
The staff were all friendly and helpful with the exception for one who didnt have any idea about the deals or tours that were adverised on the wall.
The big bug bearer with this Hostel is it just didnt seem to offer what the other Nomads had there was no free meals or drink offers (dont even bother with the vouchers they give you when you check in there near on useless!). All in all a good place to stop and rest your head and a perfectly average hostel but for more then a short stay you'd struggle.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Booked this hostel for one night last weekend. Good location but double (bunk beds) room was small and the private bathroom was very cramped.
Information I had when I booked stated we would have a window - I guess if you count the sky light above the door which was blacked out then yes, we had a window! Also had to ask for towels which it said were included but no sign of when we arrived.
Overall, for the money it was average I suppose but have to say that the unexpected appearance of a large cockroach on the wall when we moved a bag in the morning was a little off putting!!!! Just thankful we hadn't spotted it the night before otherwise neither of us would have slept a wink.
I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2011

No idea where the bad reviews are coming from! I was extremely impressed, where to start? One, after traveling all over the world, this is the cleanest hostel I had ever stayed in! There is an attached bar, internet cafe attached, rooftop hot tub, kitchen, CLEAN bathrooms! Night club next door, extremely easy access to everything Auckland has to offer, and the staff was kicking butt when it came to questions or even booking bungy jumping last minute. The crowd when I was there was great, travelers from all over and no feelings of shadiness that I got at other hostels. Enjoy a beer or spa on the roof and enjoy this amazing city from this amazing hostel!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed at Nomads Auckland at start of year for a couple of nights before and after going on a cruise, we had the deluxe double rooms with enquite and tv on the top floor. Rooms were quite clean but not very spacious and they were SO SO hot, luckily there was sliding door to nowheresville which we kept open the whole time - quite a bit of noise from the street below but wasn't really a bother to us. Was super close to Viaduct, cafes and shops, so was perfect for us. And they had a bar :) Always a bonus!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2011

First off, they upped their prices during the Rugby World Cup and charged me $50 (NZ) for a bunk in an 8-person dorm room. When I went to drop off my gear in the room, there were no available beds. I went downstairs to ask the guy at the desk about it and he assured me that they would have a bed made for me when I returned later that night. And, of course, they didn't. So I had to come back to talk to another guy at the desk who, instead of apologizing for the inconvenience, insisted that he had made up a bed in the room (which was now full of sleeping people, except for one unmade bed). He went upstairs with me, barged into the (girls only) room, turned on the light and woke up the girl who was sleeping in the bed he had made to ask her how long she had been there (three days was the answer). I would never recommend this place to anyone. My experience there was so bad that I rented a car the next day and left Auckland (where I had planned to stay for four days) for Thames, which was lovely.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Go to Base, go to Kiwi Hotel, go anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland Central
Queen Street Backpackers
Queen Street Backpackers
#53 of 130 in Auckland Central
Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Base Auckland Central Backpacker...
#65 of 130 in Auckland Central
#32 of 130 in Auckland Central
Auckland Harbour Oaks
Auckland Harbour Oaks
#187 of 292 in Auckland

Been to Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!