“Awesome views, pretty good food”

The Sugar Club Auckland
Ranked #16 of 2,358 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Eye-watering prices, the best views in town and quite good food. Service eager to please but not there yet - then again, it's only been open for 2 months.

A good, if not truly excellent restaurant.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Fantastic experience all around this is quality and very divine, the wait staff are very knowledgeable in recommending which way around the dishes you order should come out and every single dish was superb has was the service, the view in fact the whole experience, the one thing we did comment on was the lack of New Zealand rum, not all diners are overseas guests and some New Zealand spirits would be great, the staff however did their best to accommodate our table with the rum request but unfortunately neither drinks were that great, this however would not stop us going back but possibly something to look into in the future.

1  Thank pkmathis
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Went to Sugar Club with high expectations which were disappointed. Entry to Club is complicated and down market. Interior design is great. Service was simultaneously casual and impersonal. Two of my dishes were fine. The linguine was odd; looked like two minute noodles, and texture was gluggy. French cafe the week before was incomparably better.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This restaurant definitely has the 'wow" factor, great flavours and service. Great evening all round

1  Thank Greg M
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Went here for my birthday, expecting great things. Used to love Peter Gordon's Dine in Sky City for many years and thought that this replacement would be worth it.

I've eaten in elevated restaurants in different cities so i don't get carried away with the location, Auckland on a spring night is pretty stunning so there is nothing in the location to disappoint.

The key issue with the restaurant is the service. OK, I eat in Auckland a lot and I know it is tough to find good people, but surely you can raise the bar here a little here. It is new and if you don't get it right when new, it only goes one way.

Asked if I wanted to taste the wine before pouring I said yes. Waitress then proceeded to pour everyone elses glass and then put the bottle in the bucket before filling mine. Luckily we don't mind getting our own drinks if we have to in our company.

Waitress then seemed to spend more time staring at her till than servicing the tables.

Laksa was cold; I don't mean 'not hot' I mean like 55 degrees cold. Fair enough the replacement did come quickly but when I asked if it was going to take another eternity for a replacement, I was met with a cold death stare.

Anyway this was all lovingly fixed, sans apology from the manager.

At dessert ordering, when I asked what was on the cheeseboard I was told "Kikorangi, cheddar and some other cheese I can't pronounce". Well, that's just awesome a couple of supermarket cheeses and some other stuff. I have a half moon of Kikorangi in the fridge at home so I figured I would skip it. Then my friend's cheeseboard arrives and it's got this rocking Gorgonzola, not the supermarket blue cheese I was told was going to be on there. Gutted I didn't "take a punt on that one".

Ordered some dessert wine and it arrived just as I was eating my last spoon of dessert.

These things might seem small but this is apparently the top end of Auckland dining.

Avoid disappointment and go find the top end somewhere else.

1  Thank Mark S