“Delicious!”

Federal Delicatessen
Ranked #19 of 2,225 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Street Food, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 'The Fed' is all about informality, fun and generosity. Think hand-cut speciality meats, cured lox, gourmet sandwiches deluxe salads & dessert pie by the slice.
“Delicious!”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

I went here for breakfast the other day and ordered the Salmon Latkes. This was potato latkes with cold smoked salmon, creme fraiche and dill. I was highly impressed by this dish. While the latkes were obviously fried, I didn't find them overly greasy. And the cold smoked salmon (cured in house, I believe) was absolutely fantastic. They weren't stingy with the salmon either. There was plenty to go with the latkes. I enjoyed their bottomless cup of coffee with this and was amused by the 'More?' printed on the bottom of my cup when I got there.

I was so impressed by the Federal that I returned for lunch a few hours later before my flight home. This time I had the toasted Reuben (pastrami, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing on rye bread) and was not disappointed. Juicy, rich and finger-licking good, I enjoyed every morsel. It came with a small side of coleslaw and a pickle. I also ordered a root beer float to accompany it.

Consistently great, friendly service at this deli too. I told them they should open one in my home town of Christchurch (don't think we have any proper delis like that)! I will definitely be going back here the next time I'm in Auckland.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
“Very good food and service at reasonable prices”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is an unpretentious diner but the food and service really stand out.
Breakfast here was really good and the eggs were delicious.
We returned for dinner the next night and it was excellent.
The rotisserie chicken was so juicy and tasty!
Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“60's Americana”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We visited for a pre-dinner drink and snack very early on a Friday evening. There were minimal other patrons, and I was instantly charmed with the classic American diner look, down to the uniforms of the waitstaff. Added to this are the touches of Kiwiana that add a little something throughout. The cocktail menu looked interesting, with a few creative options, and upon the delivery of my Maple inspired concoction I was even more impressed. Brandy, maple, pecan nuts and an egg white combined for an amazingly creamy, moreish drink. So much so that I ordered another. We snacked on the Salmon Lox, and the Montreal Poutine (fries with cheese curd and gravy) which were both exceptionally good. I almost didn't want to leave to make our dinner booking! Would recommend sitting in a booth, and early evening seemed nice and quiet. Wait staff and friendly, chatty and attentive. Can't wait to head back.

Visited August 2014
Auckland
“Overhyped”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I've heard many people talking about 'The Fed' in recent weeks so gave it a try. Firstly, the atmosphere on a Saturday evening was great - classic New York vibe, friendly staff and a great looking venue.

The food was a mixed bag to me, the Hot Dogs were tasty - but so tiny (~half the size of a standard hot dog for $6.50). The spit roast chicken was over cooked and served warm (rather than hot) while the steak strips were nothing special.

All in all, ok food in a nice 'hip' location but let down by high price and very small servings.

• Visited August 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Save me from myself!”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

There have been very few restaurants that i've visited where I've rushed back the next day for more. The Federal is one of them.

The Federal is not a 'theme' restaurant but one that actually serves authentic New York deli food, from the to die for toasted Reuben to the Mish Mash (A pastrami, potato and onion hash) and griddle cakes. This is food that your cardiac surgeon will hate you for but you'll adore. I visited on both the Saturday and Sunday for brunch and left with a huge smile on my face (and probably harder arteries but who cares?!).

How could you possibly fault a place that serves pie at 1am?!

• Visited August 2014