“Very strange service”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

As we tried to order starters the lady who appeared to take our order rather forcefully got us to change our order ! Her recommendations were good fortunately. We never saw her again however.
The order for mains was not taken until after we had eaten the starters.we were allowed to choose these ourselves. The medium curries seemed quite hot to our palates, though tasty. After our mains arrived service was minimal to non- existant . We had to catch someone serving another table to get more rice and could have done with more water . There seemed to be categories of servers , some of whom couldn't take orders. All in all the service was strange, disjointed and definitely not attentive.
The music is a little loud for conversation.

2  Thank holyisle

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is my first review on TripAdvisor, but I am doing it as my experience at this restaurant was just so appalling and I don't want others to go through the same experience.

We booked for 15 people for a set menu ($50) for 7pm on a Friday night. We were all seated by 7.30pm and the entrees arrived at 8.30pm. They were sparse and there wasn't enough for everyone - eg you get one chicken skewer in a pot and have to divide it up. That would be OK if the mains arrived soon after, however, they didn't come out until 9.45pm by which time two of our party had left.

During in this whole time no staff member came to ask how we were, or if we would like any drinks. When we complained at 9.30 about how long the food was taking they said "It's a full house, the chef will have your food ready in a few minutes". So there was no apology and I can only assume that this is the standard service. $50 in my opinion was a complete rip-off. Such a shame - we were so disappointed.

4  Thank Natalie J
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had a nice meal here recently. Good food, friendly staff and nice ambience. Will certainly be back sometime.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a great meal at iVillage. We are both biggish eaters and, after reading reviews commenting on the smallness of the servings, we were scared (of going hungry) and ordered lamb kofta to share. That could almost been a main in itself - 12 pieces - delicious. We both ordered biriyani - one chicken ('kiwi hot') and the other lamb ('Indian hot'). Huge servings with each dish being beautifully presented with a bread topping. We got through about two-thirds of each and then called it quits - thankfully they do doggie-bags! Service was friendly and prompt. Very willing to assist - when my partner asked if any of the dishes were awadi, the waiter explained that if he wanted, they would adapt one of their curries on the menu to take it to more of an awadi style. Overall - great restaurant - highly recommended.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I came here after a recommendation from a couple we know. We had walked past many times going to and from the grocery store and figured it must be just ok because no one was ever in there. Boy were we wrong!!! We have since come back a few times to try different items on the menu (we do always get the Mango Lassi and Indo-Chinese Bullets however - fantastic entree). My husband, being from India originally, is extremely picky about which Indian restaurants he will go to. Both of us have been very impressed with the atmosphere at the restaurant. This is not a cheesy Indian restaurant! The space is warm and inviting with a lot of richly carved woodwork and other fantastic decorations from India. My husband says it is the best atmosphere he has seen in an Indian restaurant outside of India. The music is also usually fantastic and really adds to the ambiance of the place. I personally love the instrumental versions of popular older Hindi soundtracks.
And then the food...What they make is definitely fresh! Can taste all the different spices, vegetables, etc. We have found many restaurants add colouring to their food to make it look how people think Indian food should look (because of the colourful spices typically used). I have become sick of seeing neon orange butter chicken (thankfully they don't even have that on the menu). Their menu is so varied and the flavours are very unique. Maybe someday soon we'll try another starter, but for now we'll just keep trying different mains and desserts :)
The staff is also fantastic. They are friendly and overall fantastic service. And the family members who work there (it is a family run business) are also friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying your meal without being overbearing.

This place will be fantastic in the summer! We are also glad to see each time we go back that there are more and more people coming to enjoy!