“Best Ugly”

Best Ugly Bagels
Ranked #15 of 2,403 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Montreal style bagelry and cafe. Watch bakers baking fresh bagels in a huge wood fired oven. Grab a made to order bagel sandwich + coffee and enjoy the show.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I don't "do" bagels. I have always found them chewy and unappetising. However our son took us to Al Brown's new cafe "Best Ugly". They make and bake their own bagels and have a variety of toppings, both savoury and sweet. They are really delicious. So much so we have been there two days running. The coffee is great too - except no decaf but a nice spicy chai latte alternative. I have no personal interest in giving this cafe a good review but I really found it great - also because it is in a back-of-the street courtyard it is entirely child friendly and away from traffic. They could turn the music down a bit. I rank it 4.5 out of 5 (but I didn't know how to enter a half). And very very good value for money.

1  Thank Crystal_nz

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Got Salmon Bagel.

Was not a bad bagel, but it was just a very small bagel with small amount of topping for $13. I got the salmon bagel.
I would have preferred to spend that on a burger!

1  Thank Alaynemiller
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I liked the bagels here but the lox were not fresh and very oily. Also this place is overpriced. If you come here just get a normal bagel with schmear.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am glad I made the effort to walk up the hill to this place. I wanted to find out why Al Brown says his bagels are the "best". I have a love hate relationship with bagels. But these ones really are the best! Nice and soft (unlike a New York bagel). Service was good and friendly. Went back and brought myself a bag of bagels to eat for breaky!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have always heard great reviews about this place and was expecting big, ugly but delicious bagels. What we got was a tiny bagel, and quite the opposite of ugly! Don't get me wrong, it was delicious! But the price wasn't as nice. Definitely overpriced for what you get.