“Lovely fresh food and great service”
Review of Ortolana

Ortolana
Ranked #20 of 2,327 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
“Lovely fresh food and great service”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I went here for my birthday a couple of weeks back with my family and boyfriend. It was a really pleasant experience, the staff were really helpful and nice and the food was tasty and fresh.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland
“Sensational”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Dropped in there by default last Saturday evening as another restaurant close by advised us there was a one hour wait for a table. We therefore decided to try Ortolana and what a pleasant surprise we had. The delightful guy manning the desk advised us we may have to wait up to 30 minutes but we were welcome to drink at one of the laneway tables adjacent to the restaurant. We were seated and immediately provided with free sparkling mineral water and our drinks order was taken. Within 10 minutes we were shifted inside to our table which was a pleasant surprise. We then chose some delicious entrees and mains. I had the fish of the day as well as some rock melon and prosciutto. The olive oil and breads provided as well as the rock salt were all of supreme quality. The wines, chosen by our waitress, matched the foods perfectly. I dined on home made ice cream which was a salted caramel which I thoroughly recommend but all the desserts at the table were brilliant. The foods we dined on were accompanied by excellent sauvignon blancs and chardonnays as well as a stunning Fromm Spatlese Riesling with dessert. All simply superb. One of our table said the butterfly chicken spatchcock was perhaps a little underdone but this was a minor issue compared to the brilliant service, food and wine. Even though you can't book the wait time is worth the wait. I'm very glad we couldn't bother waiting an hour for the other restaurant closeby; I doubt it would have been as good at Ortolana. Thoroughly recommended!

1 Thank James M
Calgary, Canada
“When it was good it was AMAZING!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I showed up to the restaurant unannounced without reservations and they seated me right away at the communal table, I naturally sat at the head of the table and I felt like I was at the center of it all.

Drink: Passion fruit and mint house soda
The drink tasted okay. The taste was not very sweet and the passion fruit flavor was very light. The mint has a nice presence, and the high light was the crunchy passion fruit seeds at the bottom. Wish I had more!

Appetizer: Tomato and mozzarella brucietta
I had asked the waiter for his recommendation and he suggested the mushroom and mustard napiena (forgot the name). Since I don't consume pork or alcohol he told me I couldn't have it since they use lard to make it. I appreciated him letting me know even after he took the order. So I asked his next recommendation and he suggested the tomato and mozzarella. The tomatoes were fresh and dressed nicely with olive oil. While the mozzarella was fresh it lacked seasoning and I ate it just for the sake of eating it. Not because I enjoyed it. This was a let down.

Main course: Lamb, lentils, labneh, grapes.
I am a huge lamb fan. I don't know if it was because it was fresh New Zealand lamb or something else but this was THE best lamb dish I've ever had, and with my experience that means a lot. Each bite was succulent and had an amazing array of flavors from salty, to sweet, to savory, to creamy, to just rich and elegant. Hands down this was the star of the night!

Dessert: Fretta with plum
Even thought recommended by the waiter it was a complete waste of time. I regretted having it. If this was their best dessert stay away!

Hot drink: Caramel hot chocolate
This tasted nice as I sat outside with the cold breeze. What topped it off was the salted caramel chocolate that comes with it. That was to die for.

The atmosphere was really nice. Staff was amazing (2 thumbs up for the well dressed french waiter). When things were good they were great. Other things were just meh.. I would definitely come back to try other things on the menu with the lamb on the side :)

London
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Looking for lunch on a windy, wet day in Auckland and came across this place. It was full but we were lucky to get a place on the communal table inside.The menu is very different but explained well by our excellent waitress and prepared in an open kitchen. Went for "brunchy" stuff - Folded egg, sausage & tomato and the zucchini omelette. Excellent. Free sparkling water and dipping bread. Fantastic service from two friendly waitresses. Wanted to return for dinner but they do not take bookings and due to weather the outside patio was closed so a table would have been a long wait. Definitely recommended.

• Visited March 2014
North Vancouver, Canada
“A nice way to start the trip”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

It was our first evening in Auckland after a long trip and a long day of walking. Ortolana was a lovely spot that we had walked by earlier in the day in the Britomart area, A lovely patio and great service from our waitress. The food was also excellent for two weary travellers.

Visited March 2014