“Lovely and intriguing flavours - Wow!”
Review of Ortolana

Ortolana
Ranked #26 of 2,354 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went here with friends for dinner last week and after seven months in South America dining here was a complete level above anything we experienced there. The menu is interesting with unusually named items. A lot of the items on the menu I was unfamiliar with but in a good way. The waitress serving us was really helpful and paitent with all our questions. We had a mushroom pasta and a pumpkin gnochetti. The mushroom pasta was great: warming, flavourful but not overpowering, and the portion size was just right (not too large which I find can be a bit of a pain when you're eating pasta. My boyfriend had the pumpkin gnochetti and it had lots of lovely warm winter flavours that he enjoyed a lot. Cinnamon, walnut, pumpkin and something he couldn't pinpoint but enjoyed a lot. We all had a different fruity drink which was very tasty and fresh.
The setting is nice, in Britomart. I like how you can look out at the fairy lights outside, very pretty.
Price is very reasonable for the quality of food, not too expensive at all. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Excellent experience. Food a little different.well priced with small plates. Interesting location in Britomart.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I ordered the Organic quinoa & nut granola,pear, yoghurt mousse last weekend and I still can't get it off my mind! Ortolana has a modern but comforting menu and decor - especially nice on a cold and rainy day. I will definitely be coming back here the next time I'm in Auckland.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had dessert here around 10pm. I had the Vanilla brulee which was served with lemon cream ice cream, rhubarb done 3 ways and short bread and my friend had the praline served with pear, grape and creme anglaise.

I honestly thought it was another place that looked cute but wouldn't deliver, boy was i wrong. They wooed me to my hearts content, the presentation amazing, the intricate detail on the actual dessert amazing and the flavours and textures danced in my mouth and were simply orgasmic!

The only thing you have to realise is this place is tiny it seats in total 15 people if that, they do not take bookings nor do they allow large groups of people (more than 6) in at any given time. The staff are friendly, the service is good and the decor is chic and modern, the music could be louder as it felt a bit flat only being able to hear the music when peoples conversations quietened down and they certainly need to either renovate and create space or move to larger premises. A bit pricey at approx $21 for a small dessert but worth every morsel!!!

Overall the best dessert I have had to date in NZ!!! Tip is have the sparkling water before and with your dessert, save the limoncello for after as not to detract from the amazing flavours these desserts exude.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

These guys know how to do a good cafe. Another one of their winners. This one features more Italian inspired food and had a good wine list so a perfect lunch venue. The best part is when they lead you to milse to select your dessert