“Under Whelming”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My second time coming to Masala I was expecting a good meal, considering it is in Titirangi village which occupies a number of good eateries. We came for dinner and were seated in the outdoor veranda area. The Inside decor is modern but the outdoor seating didn't match up. The waiters were attentive and helpful.
We ordered the Samosas for an entree and moved on to Lamb saagwala and Chicken Tikka Masala with Naan Bread for Mains. The food was very average. There were no true indian spices or flavours found. The Saagwala was bland and almost had a wierd foul after taste. The Tikka masala was better but not the best I have had and both curries weren't piping hot. The samosas weren't crispy (probably because they had been sitting on a bed of cabbage for a while).
I had come here a few years earlier with a friend for lunch and was impressed- this was shortly after it was re branded to Masala from Barrosa.

In my opinion it should have stayed as Barrosa restaurant. I enjoyed going there for dinner.
Our dinner was very average and at times under whelming. If you are in need of true Indian cuisine and flavours I suggest you look elsewhere.

1  Thank Brenna W

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Never have been disappointed visiting Masala. Whether its with friends or family. Friendly service and good food. usually go on a monday where meals are $10!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Big restaurant in Titirangi, very popular and busy and yet we called on the off chance and were immediately offered a table. The service was efficient and with a smile. Very reasonably priced menu of excellent choice and the food was hot and tasty. Good bottled beer too. What more do you want from an Indian restaurant?

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have vowed never to come back to this place. The service was very poor and with other options in the village, I am sticking to my guns. I sat down, was totally ignored, others who came in after me were served first.After 15 mins of totally being ignored, I got up and left. First encounter. 2nd encounter was with a group of friends so wasnt my choice. I reluctantly went and the food was OK, i felt it was very "Kiwi indianised" with out the true Indian flavours. At one stage this place closed down with an E rating, and they had tried to bring it up to scratch but once bitten twice shy so this will stay on my desperate list....Only go is all else fails type of place.

1  Thank TitirangiKiwi