“Much improvement from my first visit”
Review of Ascotia off Queen

Ascotia off Queen
Ranked #54 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I booked a King room at the Ascotis off Queen after previously staying in a very small and awkwardly shaped twin. My room had a nice large freshly fitted bathroom and a lovely desk with a quality leather reclining chair. Room cleaning was excellent. Staff had significantly improved the level of customer service. Hotel in my opinion is doing great. Noticed the same chain has opened up another hotel right next door which is four star - think I'll check that out next time. Hotel is great location for local Korean area, K Road and the the gay scene. Had an amazing time and can't wait for my next visit.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Craigdickson85
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Craigdickson85:
Thank you for your excellent feedback. Yes VR Group has recently opened more hotels in NZ, Australia and USA. Management and our various Hotel Teams strive to achieve excellent feedback from our guests and our motive is to provide the best service.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

A comfortable stay. Close to several cafes and a shopping strip. five-ten minute walk to downtown Auckland. This is down a steep hill which is no trouble for those who are fit. The elderly would struggle. Airport bus drops off right near the hotel and the stop to return to the airport is just across Queen St.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear esile1:
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. City Link Bus is the easy option for those who do not wish to walk uphill. The hotel location is within walking distance of everything like Town Hall, Myers Park, Aotea Square, IMax Theatre, Civic Theatre, University Campus, Sky Tower, Casino, Waterfront Cafes and eateries, Ferry Terminal, Britomart, Viaduct Restaurants and Victoria Market. The Airport shuttle is just steps away from Hotel on Queen Street.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

I will start this by saying I have actually never been incarcerated - however if I had I'd imagine it to be very much like this room. On a scale of 1-10 of smallness with 1 being not enough room to swing a cat I'd give this place a 0.5. When I opened the room - the room they'd kindly assigned to me beside the lift I almost fell over the bed.
Looking around for a wardrobe I was disheartened to see the only hanging space was over the fridge over my tea coffee making area - hmmmm - making a brew while dry cleaning my shirt!
The bathroom what can I say - in a word - well three - beap beap beap - someone surely must have gagged the shower head - I've seen deserts spit out more water!
In a nutshell this place is absolutely rubbish - I'd sooner sleep in a cardboard box - may as well given the room size!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SydneyOzmatt

Dear SyndneyOzmatt:
Yes the room is not very spacious, but has everything a guest needs. Shower did have a problem as all the hotel rooms were occupied. However inorder to boost the pressure in showers, we are embarking on a big n costly project.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed here for one night. It was close to where we wanted to be and the price was good. Although the hotel is located near the top of Queen St, it is still quite close to bars, cafes, & shops. We were able to check in early as our room was ready, which was great. We got the winter special which included free wifi and continential breakfast. We booked a double room with a queen bed. The room was small but it didn't worry us too much as we didn't need to spend much time in there. The room was clean and tidy and the shower was lovely and quite ample in size. The continental breakfast was basic but filled the gap. There is a hotel carpark which you need to book but we didn't use it and instead parked down at the Civic carpark which cost us $16 (weekend rate). We would stay here again if we only needed one night.

Room Tip: It is less than 2km to the bottom of Queen St and you can always catch the City Link bus to the top...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nat A:

Appeciate your candid feedback. We have limited parking but ample parking options around in CBD for good value.

For other readers: Brand new Hotel, lovely rooms, spacious and excellent bathrooms, cleand n tidy interior ambience, In house Bar n Restaurant, friendly staff to welcome you 24/7, everything within walking distance in CBD, City bus stop few steps away,

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My partners and I bought a voucher from yazoom for a 1 night stay in the queen room. We found the staff unfriendly when we were checking in & leaving. Room was tiny & shower pressure was poor. Breakfast was ok but rather small & as we bought this deal from yazoom the staff tried to refuse us a cooked breakfast (even though this was meant to be included in the deal). Overall I would not recommend this hotel as a great place to stay if your looking for luxury. It felt more like a done up backpackers.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vickki77

Dear Vickki77:
Appreciate your feedback. Staff is being retrained and briefed regularly and specially in view of your remarks as Management cannot afford complacency at Reception. Room admittedly average size but has everything a guest needs. Shower pressure is just average during peak. Hotel is just 3.5 star rated and we charge the tariff level. Added advantages are: neat n tidy place, central location, and last but not least, value for your money.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

After reading previous reviews about this hotel I had mixed feelings about booking a room at the Ascotia off Queen. The price was right but a terrible nights sleep can ruin a trip. I am pleased I took the chance as it was exactly as it is advertised. First impression was excellent. Reception staff were efficient and helpful. My room was perfect. Clean and tidy as was the bathroom. Its location is perfect as within walking distance of everything you need. If you find the walk up Queen Street daunting there is the City Link bus. The Ascotia is now my hotel of choice in Auckland City.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear ShellyleBelle:
Very thoughtful feedback. I am glad you were happy with, Front Desk Team, Room size and Cleanliness, Bathroom and location of the Hotel. As you said City Link Bus as well as Airport Shuttle Bus is only few steps away.

For other readers: No gimmicks. We offer what we advertise. Excellent value for your money.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

My wife and I used up some airpoints to spend three days in Auckland visiting friends, the Art Gallery, the Museum and the Viaduct Basin. Ascotia off Queen is centrally located and on the Airbus Express route into the city. We were able to walk easily to all the places we wanted to visit. Our room was small (but all we needed) and spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel has been upgraded since I last stayed there and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John B
Rishi C, Owner at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear John B:
Appreciate your feedback and glad to see that you spent your airpoints for a maximum enjoyment. As you experienced, everything is within walking distance including, Domain, Art Gallery, Museum, Viaduct Basin, Ferry Terminal, Britomart Train and Bus Terminal, Down Town Shopping Centre, Sky City, Casino, High Street fashion outlets, Queen Street restaurant and eateries, Civic Theatre, Auckland University, AUT, Town Hall, IMAX Theatre, Aotea Square, K' Road businesses, Auckland Hospital and the airbus for airport is just across the Queen Street. Last but not least, all this within your budget price. Our team hopes to see you back again soon!