Ascotia off Queen
$242
$210
Hilton
  • Restaurant
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$166
$156
  • Pool
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$207
$130
  • Pool
Cordis, Auckland by Langham Hospitality Group(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$143
$108
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
$125
$120
  • Restaurant
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$111
$96
  • Restaurant
Scenic Hotel Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$107
$99
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$137
  • Breakfast included
$199
$184
  • Restaurant
All reviewsk roadmyers parksky towerbudget accommodationbooked this hotelbus stopcouple of nightsthe heart of the cityskybuswaterfront
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The motel is very well located , on the upper queen street which makes it quiet (also close to Myers Park a cool place to chill). Another good thing is that it is very well located with the buses to go down on Queen Street and the airport to return. In addition to this the staff are all nice and helpful, kind and always happy to help which makes our stays even more enjoyable. The room service is always perfect and impecable, the reception are also nice as well. We had an awesome and relax stay in Ascotia. As a result it has been the 4th time that we came to stay at Ascotia. :D

PS: We are more likely to come back

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rishi C, Front Office Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Karno J:
Appreciate your continued support. We endeavour to give our best service to our guests all the time. Thank you indeed.
Rishi

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked online, off VRhotels- because I usually stay at The Quadrant, but thought I'd try this place out AND it was under $100/night, trynna stay within budgets.

PROS
1. $80/night in Upper Queen St is the cheapest you'll probably find, suitable for those who just wanna walk everywhere
2. The rooms were tidy/clean
3. Relatively secure for that area (backing onto Myers Park/K Road, your other options arent so safe)

CONS
1. Made me pay UPFRONT - BEFORE I EVEN SAW THE ROOM - the whole 2 nights and 2 nights parking. I've been travelling for over 10 years and its normal to pay a deposit maybe upon booking, and then the full amount when you check out. The receptionist looked at me like "I've never heard of that happening" like they've never been to other hotels.
2. When I GOT to the room (booked a twin double) the beds were so small! I am 5"0 and I JUST fit but my business partner is 6"4. What a joke!
3. They wanted to charge an extra $10 for changing rooms to get a King Bed for him (and I would have to find somewhere else to sleep). They have no rooms which fit a King & a single.
4. $25/night for parking at the back - in the TIGHTEST space, unsecured carparking - you can see all the paint scratches from previous cars that have struggled to fit around the tight doorways PLUS 2 tanks of EXPLOSIVE GAS in the driveway? (BTW Valet parking elsewhere is $28/night in a secured, well lit carpark)
5. DRILLING going on in the middle of the day - so we had late nights and early mornings and just time for a nap in the middle of the afternoon in between meetings & presentations - but wow...loud drilling!
6. One of the elevators is still being fixed, so when you ride the other one, you hear this horrific screeching. Moment of panic.

There's potential, they have a good handy location - but I would prefer to stay somewhere else and pay a bit more for a slicker hotel service.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear missng82:
Charging $10 for upgrading of room is standard practise, but it was not charged in your case for obvious reasons. Parking space is depleting in CBD resulting in being expensive. Current upgradation of lift work is limited to day time. Engineers instructed to minimise noise. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stay was fine, room was rather small, and surprisingly the bathroom was quite large by comparison which I thought was odd (but nice). There's a bar fridge in the room for your drinks etc; and a small heater. Stayed early winter when it was cold, and the room heats up quickly which was a plus, but not sure how it would be in the summer when it's hot, as there's no air-con, just the heater in the room we had. Room was clean and tidy.

The only thing that bothered us were the staff, even though I mentioned more than once we would be checking out late, and 'YES we knew there was a late check-out fee and were happy to pay it', the staff called the room in the morning three times I think to ask and remind us to check out. EVERY time they called I said we would be checking out late and paying the extra charge. Then room service entered twice in the morning, the first time I had to run to the door to tell them to go away (in a hurry as I was partially dressed), they apologised, but then it happened again about an hour later! I mean really, we would have really liked to be left alone to sleep in etc, especially after telling them so many times we would be checking out late. It was annoying to say the least. The staff were polite, but just clueless. Ratings would have been higher if not for the idiotic staff.

Room Tip: I would say if you want to have a late check out, make sure Staff know so they leave you until you're ready, but they don't seem to listen regardless!

Dear Shonya_Singh:
Sorry for the odd knocking from housekeep staff. The trainee reception staff misread computer record as "guest checked out" and notified housekeep staff that room was checked out. Sincere apologies from our staff as well as from me. We value our frank comments.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Me and my girl friend had a very pleasant 1 night stay at Ascotia off queen hotel. Just minutes of walk away from Queen street and local restaurants. I must say that staff was very pleasant and housekeeping did a fantastic job.Will definitely recommend and stay again. what else you could ask for in that price.

Room Tip: Room away from lifts

Dear Raman S:
We are glad we could make your stay enjoyable. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serve you once again.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been commuting to Auckland for a number of weeks and this is likely to be my future for the next few years. I have been using Expedia, Agoda and other sites to find hotels within my budget a few weeks ahead. I have been in rooms where I have not slept for more than an hour at night. On my first visit to Ascotia, I was surprised at the cleanliness, the modern room and most importantly, the beds. I was extremely comfortable in the room. The TV was fantastic, the bathroom was clean and the housekeeping did a fantastic job. I found the staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful. On the second day, I had made up my mind not to bother looking for an apartment but look to stay at Ascotia whenever I could get a room there. As I stay for 5 days at a time, the room is ideal. It would be nice if the car park was cheaper but there are not too many of them so I can imagine this is one way to constrain demand. I have not had a chance to sample the food which I intend doing week after next. The bathrooms were very clean, towels changed each day. The fridge Was stocked with more milk than I have had in any other hotel. One thing I discovered was that the road noise was disturbing till I figured that the windows were not shut properly. Once I shut them, I slept soundly with no disturbance. Thanks for a very good experience, I will not look for another place after next week's pre-booked accommodation. I think I have found my home, away from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Hariz61:
Thank you for your candid comments and calling this hotel as "Home away from Home". We will always strive to give best possible service. Next time please try our restaurant food, which is tasty and sumptuous.