“Good”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

It was a really rainy day in Auckland, so the tour gave me something to do while getting out of the rain. I did the one-day tour, starting with the Red Circle bus. Although some of the stops had to be cancelled due to the rain, they offered us a free second day free, which I thought was a good gesture (although I was leaving the second day anyways). I was pleased with the customer service and the fact that they were aiming to rectify what was going wrong, even though it was beyond their control. By the time I had stayed on the bus for a while, I switched over to the blue circle at the museum and when I arrived at Mt Eden where I wanted to get off, it had stopped raining. The time I was allowed at each stop worked perfectly (1 hour), so I did not have to rush, but it didn't seem like an eternity either. With my short amount of time that I have in Auckland, I am satisfied that I saw pretty much everything I wanted to see. Maybe would have been good if they had a stop on Ponsomby Road, but apart from that, it was a great service.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 266 helpful votes
“OK, but not really worth $40”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We often try the HOHO bus in a new city as a way to get an overview. The Auckland one has two routes, the central one and an extended loop - we only did the central one. There are a variety of coaches, we rode one that was a double-decker and one that wasn't. There was some recorded commentary as we rode, but really not that many sites of interest. Overall I would say it's not worth the price.

1 Thank Seattle98101
West Sussex
267 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 312 helpful votes
“Good way to see parts of the city that you wouldn't return to.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

In every city that offers a similar service, I always recommend new-comers to give up the first morning, at least, for a city bus tour. Not only are you taken to places that you want to return to, but also those that once seen is enough. I was disappointed that the Auckland tour bus was not a open top, since I feel that this adds to the excitement and views. As it was, one route was a double decker with the other a single decker bus, with windows that did not make taking pictures easy. One highlight for me was seeing Eden Park Stadium and the various statues. On this route our driver supplemented the taped commentory and made the whole experience that much more enjoyable. My only grouse: buses were still running to summer schedule on 30th March, but the 10.30 am bus from by the Ferry Building did not turn up, and we were there on time, meaning we had a 30 minute wait. Not a big problem since we people watched and had a coffee, but unexpected.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A lot of room for improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I always try to do a 'hop on hop off' tour when I arrive in a city as it's a great way to get around and you learn lots about the area. This is the worst one I have ever done.
It says it has full commentary, but it gives you very little, and what it does mention you have already read on the information sheet you are given. For the vast majority of the time there is no commentary, how about telling us the origins of the town or what you can see out the window?
That being said, the drivers were fantastic - they gave exact directions and made sure you knew when the bus would return. One also gave extra details - such as stopping momentarily to tell us about statues - the details I would expect from the commentary.
As it doesn't run into the late afternoon and evening, it is impossible to get around all the attractions giving them the time they truly need. It's also quiet expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Informative but a bit disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

I usually do a Hop On Hop Off tour when available to get a good grasp of a city. In Auckland, I enjoyed one route more than the other. On the second route, the main stop for me was going to be Mount Eden so that I could get a good view of the city and surrounds. As our bus approached the Mount Eden stop, the commentator said that from the drop off area it was a fair hike to the lookout point and there would be no shelter or sitting area up there and it would be another hour before the next bus came. Since I was traveling with 2 seniors who were not going to do the hike to the lookout and because it sounded like there would be no place for them to wait for me while I did the hike up and back, we decided not to get off. When the bus actually got to the Mount Eden stop we could see that there was lots of trees and shade close by where my friends could easily have waited for me but the bus was so quick to continue that we didn't have time to make the change in decision and get off. Also since that route only runs every hour I didn't want to take that much time out of our tour. I would recommend increasing the frequency of that route to every 30 minutes and allowing folks time to make a decision at that stop before continuing the ride.

Visited February 2014