Megabites Fishing Charter Ltd
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Megabites Fishing Charter is an Auckland Fishing Charter company that provides recreational saltwater fishing trips departing from Westhaven Marina in Auckland. We have fast, clean and comfortable charter boats for all our fishing charters in Auckland.We are located in the heart of Auckland city and it would be convenient to get on a fishing trip especially if you are a tourist and looking to get on some fishing action!
Reviewed June 12, 2013

It's an excellent fishing charter. The captain's a very nice guy even though he cannot speak Chinese. We did have a good time there and got lots of fish as well. Looking forward to going out for fishing again.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
in 2 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We had a charter arranged for 4 of us with this company. We were especially flying up to Auckland from Christchurch, basically jumping straight off the plane to go out fishing then flying back to Christchurch the next day. We were fully aware of the risk that the weather may be no good in which case the trip could be cancelled. The skipper was fully aware we were especially flying up to do the charter. The night before we were due to go fishing we got a text from the operator saying the trip was cancelled because of the forecast. I looked up Swellmap and metmarine and both were saying it was meant to be pretty good. I complained to the operator and he said he would keep his options open. Next day at 8am we arrived to a beautiful day in Auckland , coming in over a glassy Manukau Harbour. Trying ringing the operator - no reply. Sent him a txt to see what was happening and got a txt back to say trip was cancelled because of the weather. Swellmap was by then forecasting a near perfect day as was metmarine. We rang around at least 6 other charter operators who without exception all said they were going out and expecting a great day. We finally found one who wasn't booked for the day. He took us out and we caught lots of fish and the weather was great. We decided Megabites just couldn't be bothered going out (or he had a better offer) and he wasn't in the least concerned his clients had spent $1000 in getting to Auckland just to go fishing. We checked every other forecast we could find and not one of them mentioned bad weather. Just a totally unprofessional operator with a bad attitude

4  Thank Bruce F
Darell-D, Owner at Megabites Fishing Charter Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Firstly, Trip Advisor reviews are meant to be genuine customer feedback for other potetial users. Not lying about it just because you want to defame a company to satisfy your own ego.

(1) When this customer booked this trip a few weeks ago the initial correspondence stated: " We will be coming down to Auckland for the weekend and would be nice to get a fishing trip in if possible". (Not as the customer said it in the trip advisor review , that he got off the plane to go on a fishing triip and then go back staraight away).

(2) A day before the customer flew out I contacted the customer and told him that the trip was being cancelled because of the weather report. The customer said: "We are coming to Auckland anyway and we have other plans if the fishing trip is not possible" . He asked me to check the weather report in the morning and I said that I will advise him if things changed. But the weather report did not change at all. (The customer had a chance to cancel his trip but made it look in his trip advisor review that he was paying to come to Auckland for a fishing trip and nothing else).

When the customer arrived in Auckland he contacted me and said."See you at the Marina in 40 minutes" I then told him that the weather report is still not conducive for the trip. He got all upset about this and straight away started threating me and calling me names and said if I did not take him out he would write a bad review and defame my company.

The customer was fully aware of the weather conditions before he even flew out.

I have saved the weather report for the day and the excerpts are as follows:
For the Hauraki Gulf
Saturday : Northwest 25 knots becoming westerly 20 knots this morning then northwest 20 knots gusting 35 knots this afternoon. Slight sea becoming moderate this morning. Poor visibility in showers, some heavy with possible thunderstorms this morning north of Whangapararoa Peninsula.

Our trip was to be from 9.00am to 4.00pm, as you can see from the above weather report , it was not suitable for the trip as we do not want to go out unless we can give our customers a good fishing experience, not a very uncomfortable one.

If we do not go out , we make sure that all weather reports are checked correctly to avoid a loss in business and it's not an easy decision at times. Harsh but fair, it has to be made for everyone's safety.

We take safety seriously and WE MAKE THE CALL, if a trip goes ahead or not , not a pushy customer who has a bad attitude and called me names / swearing and very spiteful for not getting his way. Very Immature !

Reviewed February 28, 2013

An excellent fishing trip with my colleagues. Weather was excellent each and every one of us caught lot of fish.... cheers for every thing darell....and hope to go for another trip soonnnn........ divia

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was the first time we used Megabites. Darell is an excellent skipper who really goes out of his way for his clients so nobody goes home empty handed. The boat is very modern and fast so when the fish are not biting in one spot it doesn't take you long to get to the next spot. This was my wife's first time on a fishing charter and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We highly recommend Megabites Fishing Charters and will be back again for another fantastic morning fish! Thanks Darell.
Damian and Kara