“Nothing special”

Ranked #387 of 2,353 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Good location, easy parking, nice outside looking but a little bit tight space inside. The menu is pretty normal at not big portion dish. The taste is very average and service just ok. Not a must go place.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

A friend and I had lunch at Altar after it was recommended by a friend. The cafe is in the ground floor of a two-storey, roughly 1900 villa, so has character. A bonus is off-street parking, and there is a choice of tables inside in separate but open areas, or on the verandah overlooking Mt Eden Road. We were quickly welcomed and told to choose a table. Menus and water were delivered and the blackboard menu pointed out. There was a good choice of food and wine, and while my friend selected the hot cakes (pancakes) with banana and maple syrup, I ordered the calamari on rocket salad. Prices were reasonable for lunch, around $17, with more substantial mains in the mid $20s. For smaller portions, a tapas menu was included. While my friend didn't have a comment on her dish, my calamari was overcooked, though the salad was fresh and tangy with a lemon sauce. There was a range of desserts under the counter, which looked enticing, though we didn't try them. Service was quick, efficient and friendly. The cafe seemed to become very cold after we'd finished our meal, though the customers at the few other occupied tables around us didn't seem to be reaching for their coats as I did.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had brunch here. The eggs benedict is fab. Service is fantastic. Would happily be a regular here if i wasnt moving to Australia

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We made a reservation for lunch for 4 people. After an hour of coffee but no food, we enquired as to how long our food would be. The waiter didnt return. We approached the counter to speak to the manager. He was unable to look me in the eye as he mumbled with his head turned. I asked him to speak to me but clearly customer service was not his skill. He told me they were about to start cooking our meals! I explained we had been there an hour and a quarter. He tried to make excuses about being busy, though as we had booked i said this was no excuse. The table beside us also left after an unacceptable wait.
Will never return.

1  Thank ironfamilyNewZealand
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went here for brunch with my wife and another couple on a rainy Sunday (always good for indoor dining). Was quite surprised by the quality of experience we had today.

Service - Very friendly and efficient. Always helpful and very keen to let us know that we can just ask for things, and they will get it for us.

Food - The big breakfast was quite nice but a bit dry and the amount wasn't really enough for guys. The creamy garlic mushroom on pide was nice and wasn't too dry while the mince on 5 grain bread was a bit dry + bland. However, the coffee are great. Probably one of the best around town and would definitely return for the coffee and maybe something else on the food menu.

Value - Reasonable price and thought they were slightly cheaper than expected.

Atmosphere - Nice cafe in a villa with a 300 year old spanish altar. Quite nice for a rainy Sunday.

Overall - Quite delighted with this place although the food can be slightly bigger and a bit more sauce :) Would return in future.