“Outstanding. Go if you can!”
Review of Kazuya

Kazuya
Ranked #1 of 2,372 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a unique European Japanese fusion fine dining in Auckland.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went here tonight to celebrate my birthday.
The service was outstanding and the nine course degustation menu was not only beautifully thought out but tasty from start to finish.
We have eaten in a number of Michelin star restaurants in London and other parts of the world, we can honestly say that this place would be in our top 3 restaurants of all time.
The price was reasonable considering the quality of food and intricacy of the dishes.
Highly recommended, go if you get the chance.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My friend and I recently decided to try Kazuya which came highly recommended. I went in person to make a Saturday evening reservation, and then half way up Symonds St an employee came running to tell me she was sorry, the restaurant was full, in spite of taking the reservation. I gave her my phone number and made a booking for the following week,
the employee promising she would call if a space became available.

That same Saturday a Japanese restaurant called, telling me there was a space after all. I didn't catch the name, so there was a miscommunication on my part because I thought it was Kazuya calling. It turned out the employee at Kazuya had copied down my number but it was erased by another member of staff somehow, so she couldn't have called me any way. Perhaps not the best system for reservations.

So, Saturday night came and I called to say we'd be slightly late, arriving at 8:40pm. The manager assured me over the phone it would be okay. I don't know why he didn't check the name or why he said it would be fine to arrive later. When arrived at the restaurant we were shown to our table, with many apologies that they had somehow made a mistake, and we ordered 2 glasses of wine. We were asked which degustation menu we would like, we picked one and the next thing, unbelievably, another waitress apologized and said there wasn't any salmon left and in addition, there was no time to make dinner after all, that they weren't expecting us until next week! (in spite of having no phone number.)

By now I was more than confused, so I asked to be given something small to eat so we could at least stave off our hunger. When we were charged $58 for 2 glasses of wine and two small scallop appetizers, I was shocked. I would love to return to Kazuya however I felt as though I
was overcharged for a very small meal, mistakes which perhaps a small gesture would have compensated me with. I won't be returning. The scallop appetizer was okay, but certainly not the superb taste I was anticipating and the price was absurd for one scallop.

8  Thank dibbyfromtheblock
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to kazuya to celebrate our wedding anniversary based on some reviews we read about the restaurant and we were not disappointed. We both chose the seasonal tasting menu and it was amazing. The food came in a timely fashion, each course was very different and was beautiful presented and tasted amazing. The textures and flavours married together amazingly. The staff were knowledgeable, polite and provided impeccable service. It is definitely the finest dining experience I have had in Auckland and would compete with many top restaurants around the world. The Chef at Kazuya is a genious and I hope we get to experience his food again.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The best dining experience we have had in Auckland for many years. The $85 seasonal degustation of 7 courses was superb, each dish beautifully presented & briefly introduced by the waitress. Great wine list, good sake. The cheeses (optional extra at $6 pp) were excellent as well.
If you love Japanese food mixed up with classic French & Italian influences, you won't find better in Auckland or indeed outside of Tokyo itself (and I promise you at much more expense!)
The combination of excellent professional service and extremely good value for money make this restaurant a winner. We will be back next time we're in Auckland for sure.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband I went to Kazuya last night for our wedding anniversary and it was nothing short of Outstanding ! what an amazing experience, the food was amazing, the wine selection extensive and the service 10/10 ! One on the best resturants in Auckland. Each dish was beautiful, perfection on a plate, the food was delicious. We would definitley go again.