“decent place to stay”

Ranked #12 of 113 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Calgary, Canada
“decent place to stay”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here on a recent trip to Auckland for a few nights. Overall, for the price you pay, this is a good place. Staff are very friendly and helpful, which I really appreciated. Rooms and bathrooms etc. are also clean and well maintained. Only thing is I wish they had paper towel in the bathrooms so you can dry your hands after you wash them. The lobby area is also nice and spacious, and has couches etc where you can watch TV or read. Location is also decent- walking distance to harbor and restaraunts etc. It was abit noisy at times, sometimes I hear people slam door etc. which got on my nerves, but I still managed to sleep well during my stay. Good place if your traveling on a budget and looking to save some money on accommodation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Glad you find our staff to be friendly and helpful, our rooms and facilities to be well maintained and lobby to be very spacious. We do have a Hand Dryer as it is more sustainable friendly than paper towels. We are nested in the heart of Auckland liveliest city in New Zealand, nevertheless, noise issues are bound to happen, we do apologise that. additionally for internal noise we provide a security guard every night.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Andre Vidoto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We weren't sure about this hostel as it just seemed to be in a quite rough area of Auckland. The hostel was clean enough for the night and only took 15 mins to walk to the sky city. Nothing to do in Auckland though! Fine for a stopover but get yourselves out of Auckland ASAP!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank SophieD99
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Happy you found our Hostel to be clean and well located. Our Reception team is well trained to inform about what to do in Auckland, in fact, there are several options, such; West Beaches (Piha, Kare-Kare and Muriwai), Kelly Tarltons (Aquarium), Museums, Parnell Village, Devonport, 48 Volcanos to check, several kinds of Bars and Restaurants, Viaduct Harbour, Domain Park, Victoria Park Market, Mission Bay beach, etc, etc. I'm so very sorry you left Auckland under this impression, please if you come back to Auckland, do not hesitate to talk to us, I'm sure we can make your trip even more enjoyable.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Kind regards,
Andre Vidoto
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Location: Walking distance from CBD, easy to find, quiet.
Cleanliness: Linen and towels are clean, room and bathroom are clean too.
Service: Staff are very friendly
Other: Free wifi only in the lobby, quality ok
I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Front Office Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your feedback. Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. We are very happy with our convenient location, spotless rooms and awesome staff that keep the room clean and provide fantastic service. Our wifi signal is strong upstairs due to multiple access points and lounge has a very strong signal. I am glad to hear that you would consider coming back again to stay with us. I look forward to having you stay with us again, where we would have even more improvements. Once again thank you.
Jay Jon
Winnipeg
Reviewed January 11, 2014

in a great part of Auckland. You can easily walk from the hostel to the harbour front and there is a lot to do in between. Lots of shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. It is a close walk to the bus station, maybe five to ten minutes and there was always someone on duty so it felt very safe. Very basic rooms with a bed, a desk and a closet and a tv room if you wanted some down time. Very clean and in a great location.

Room Tip: It is a little darker and quieter on the opposite side of the front desk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Front Office Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your excellent review. We're glad to hear that you had sucha fantastic stay. We are very proud of our location. With a great view of the harbour and central location, you can get to the Queen St very easily and we have bus station that goes to the popular attraction place, Wynyard Quarter. After the reception has closed, we have security guard operating at night time to keep the residents feeling safe and to handle any situations. Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Jay Jon
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I am a solo traveller from Canada and I spent a weekend at there, whist in Auckland. I was impressed by the clerks at the front desk. They were friendly and answered all my questions politely. I had a private (single) room which was kept clean, although I did hear some people talking in the hallway sometimes. As a light sleeper, I was impressed with my quality of sleep during my stay. Location was also not bad, just short walk to city centre (ie. Queen street). Overall, it was a good choice I made to stay here, I would definately do it again!

Canadian traveller,

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a single room to get the best sleep!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank oilersfan86
YMCAhostel, Front Office Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. We're glad to hear that you were so impressed by the Front Desk Team and the cleanliness of the room. Our team is made up of very skilled and wonderful people. They are always willing to listen and give out the best solution for your benefit. I am sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed by the noise in the hallway, we have security guards on duty to minimise any conversations in the hallway and handle any loud noise issues. We're very excited to hear that you would stay with us again. We look forward to having you stay at the hostel with even better experience next time. Once again thank you.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The place was very clean as cleaning was done everyday and rooms were clean almost everyday. There is a kiosk to introduce places of interest, shopping places and eateries which I found most helpful. The washing machine and dryer were generally very clean and effective, very worthy of the amount I paid for. However, the kitchen was dirty and the utensils in the dining room carried a smell as they were kept in the cupboard for too long. The room was very stuffy most times of the day and night unless it was cloudy and windy outside. Sleeping under the sheets at night was impossible as it was too warm and stuffy.

1 Thank Cheryl0581
Dear Guest. Thank you for your helpful feedback. We're glad to hear that you found the rooms clean and our internet help kiosk very helpful. Our washing machine and dryers are very well maintained by our contractor so that it doesnt lose its effectiveness. I'm sorry to hear that the kitchen was dirty. We have housekeepers cleaning them everyday and making sure the dishes are clean, otherwise cleaning the dishes themselves. Also we have fans available at the reception for hire during the summer times for the guests. Next time you stay with us please feel free to let the receptionist know and we will organise a fan for your room. Once again thank you very much.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was worried when a friend booked me here for the night. I'm a nervous first time solo traveller (even though I'm mature!) and had visions of packs of young people and noise but it has been nothing like that. All ages are here and my single room is clean and comfy.
The staff are excellent, really put me at ease and helped with transport questions, internet probs etc. I would recommend it to anyone. The shared areas are also v clean.

Room Tip: Try to book in advance to get the room of your choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Front Office Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you had a great stay at the YMCA Hostel. We have a few young people but our poilcy regarding noise and alcohol helps to keep the onise level down. We also have very skilled staff that keeps the room spotless and high level of services that makes the customers want to come back for more. Once again thank you very much fory our feedback.