We decided to venture into hostelling with our 5 year old son and figured New Zealand would be a fine place to do it. We booked 2 nights at Nomad's and should have left before the 1st one. But not wanting to admit defeat and still liking the bargain price, we decided to stick it out. The first room we were assigned had one bed and there was total confusion at the desk as to how this could be, but ultimately we were reassigned to another room. When we walked into the common area of our apartment block, we were met by 5 people splayed about the very dirty living room area watching a small, very loud TV. The place smelled like old, greasy cooked fish. Our room was quite dirty too and the walls were so thin that light streamed through from the next room where the wall met the ceiling. The first night was horrific since there was a nonstop party with at least a dozen people in the common area and when they did go to sleep (pass out?) finally at 4 am, the guy in the next room snored so loudly and erratically I thought someone was being throttled. The next night we were forced to use earplugs and slept through our alarm and missed our flight and prepaid supershuttle to airport.
The only redeeming part of the place is the bar--good music, nice and funky atmosphere, where we as 40 somethings still felt comfortable.
Security was good at front door, but once inside, the doors between floors were routinely left propped or taped! open so anyone could come and go and whenever anyone knocked they seemed to be given access, no questions asked. The staff were nice enough but not overly concerned about addressing any complaints.
BTW, we did see a cleaning lady on our pod once and she seemed to be doing a cursory clean and took out garbage, we thanked and tipped her. But honestly, the place is so grimy it can't look clean unless the walls were painted, the molding and carpets replaced, the kitchen updated, etc. Not a reflection on her efforts at all.
I would only recommend this place for true backpackers on the tightest of budgets who don't care about sleep or cleanliness or security.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fat Camel Hostel is perfectly located in the heart of Auckland Downtown and is near to the Skytower and Viaduct Harbour. We have apartment style accommodation with shared dorm rooms, private rooms and even a female only apartment. Security Swipe Card access 24 hours with a 24 hour reception desk and internet access. A free snack size meal is provided every night you stay with free activities in the bar and excellent drinks specials. Come and be a part of the Fatty Family! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nomads Fat Camel Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Fat Camel Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Auckland, New Zealand