“friendy atmosphere.”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed in fat camel for a number of months, i enjoyed my time there. It is in an ideal location to get around da city and very close to the transport centre. I got to know lots of really nice
people. The staff were friendly and helpful and always around if you needed anyting. I Had plenty of fun nights in the camel bar through out my stay in camel great deals on drinks and food. If u want a hostel to meet people and have fun then this is the one for you!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Hi Maeve,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay at the Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed your time with us including some big nights in the Camel Bar!

We wish you happy travels!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hostel is on top of a club. This is a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're after from your stay in Auckland. Staff are nice, location is great, but you're ripped off for things like wifi and towels.

You get what you pay for - don't expect luxury!

• Stayed: April 2014

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed the experience for the most part. As our budget property on Fort ST it can be a little noisy on weekends sometimes.
You will be happy to know that we have almost finished negotiating a new WIFI deal but I hope staff made you aware of our 30 mins free daily WIFI offer in the Mad Travel shop!

Kind regards

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Poor, quite expensive ( for its standard) hostel centrally located
Pros:
- location
- free meal in the evening ( small portion could be upgraded to large with drink ) served in the bar downstairs

Cons:
- pure security in the rooms ( no storage place, no lockers)
- Small, messy rooms ( also due to the fact that there was no lockers)
- Bunk beds without ladder ( had to climb and jump to get to my upper bunk)
- Very uncomfortable old beds
-No breakfast
- Paid and expensive internet ( desktop and wifi)
- Reception staff ( mostly interens )was very mixed. I ve dealt with 3 different people and experience range from positive to terrible ( where the staff actually told me that there is no public buses/ coaches in New Zealand and if I want to go to any town I shall book the excursion. with them of course!!!
- Free guided tour was disgrace as they put a short term intern from abroad to guide a tour. She was nice but have no clue about the city or guiding walking tour
( this should be mentioned in advance as I wasted few hours)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Rubbish wifi that's very expensive for a hostel designed for backpackers who are on a budget and impossible to sleep on a Friday or Saturday night until about 4am as it feels as if you're sitting right inside the club, that's how loud it is! Wouldn't stay again. However it's close by to most things and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

First of all I would like to point out that the cleaning needs to be improved, or maybe I was staying during 3 days period when the housekeeping did not really give a damn.

Reception girl seemed to be more interested in what's happening in the small back office behind reception. But I guess she did the necessary minimum to make me feel like I have been checked in.

Kitchen was not the just just ok for a building of that size. I been told by other backpackers that there are rooms without windows in the hostel..? What is that..? A 150 rupees Indian guest house.?

My room was not too bad, bud again I did hear other people in the kitchen and in the bar talking about stinky stale rooms.

As a one night stay it's just about acceptable but for a longer stay I would choose a different place next time.

Also the ridiculous lack of security for stored luggage in the bottom travel shop is something to think about. Anyone can spend there enough time without any surveillance to grab anything from anyone's bag.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank sonofbohemia
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hi Son of Bohemia,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are stoked you found it acceptable for the night you stayed. The hostel has been 100% full over the last few months which can lead to things looking messier but I can assure you this is more dependant on the guests at the time and the cleaners do give a damn at all times.
Most of the issues you mention are here say from things you have overheard about another room someone may have been in which seems a little unfair to rate the hostel on as you say your room was ok!
Please copy and paste this response to info@nomadsauckland.com if you are returning to Auckland and I would be happy to upgrade your room for your next stay to show you what we offer. This is subject to availabilty and proof of ID.

Kind regards and we wish you happy travels

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I was recently staying at this hostel when my wallet was stolen with all of my identification. I was literally a nomad at this point.

The staff was extremely nice and let me stay the first night rent free because they actually felt bad for me and understood my situation.

The next day the manager showed me the video footage and we both came to the conclusion that it was off camera. It was my fault I left it on the table for a few minutes, but the manager made sure he went over the proper procedures.

The front counter staff were amazing as well. A very understanding group of people. I have been traveling for 2 years and I've never come across a staff that are all on the same page. It's refreshing.

The hostel it self is a hostel. The rates are extremely reasonable considering the other spots around town , and I enjoyed saving a few bucks a night.

You know , sure someone stole my wallet but thats my fault. I left it on a table and it could have happened anywhere. That's my fault and I'm not going to blame the hostel for my misfortune.

Stay here, these guys are cool.

A Canadian guy who survived a loss of identity for a few days.

Cheers!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Hey Nomadic Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback and we are stoked you enjoyed your stay!
It still bugs me that we couldn't track down your wallet but am glad you enjoyed your last couple of days in NZ with us!

Enjoy the summer in Canada!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Hostel itself is nice and it is very central. But it is located on the party mile and if you don´t party till late in the night, you won´t be able to sleep. If you are there for making party, it´s perfect...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

HI Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay with us and we are stoked you enjoyed the hostel and location.
The Fat Camel is our budget hostel and can sometimes be a very social place. We also have our newer, more modern hostel Nomads Auckland located just down the road if you want to take things a little quieter!

Kind regards and happy travels
Nemo