“Cheap price, but bad place to stay”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

It was a good place to stay because of the price, but web arrive the place looks ver old and dirty. The rooms don't had enough air. Without fan and air con the place was very humid.

I thing that's the only good think that the HOSTAL had was the location.

• Stayed: April 2013
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Hi Fmover,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel. I agree the building is very old but we try to keep it as clean as possible with 2 housekeeping shifts per day plus a night check.
There is a fan located in each apartment that help circulate air in the lounge and kitchen areas!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed in the Nomads Fat Camel for a couple of weeks and i could not fault one aspect of my visit. Ideally located right beside the centre of Auckland, Queen Street, Nomads Fat Camel can cater to every need of the backpacker/ holidaymaker. I stayed in a 8 bed dorm and this gave me the opportunity to meet other people from all different destinations. Although the hostel building itself is quite old this does not hold the hostel back in any respect. Showers and toilets are cleaned to high standard numerous times daily. Each floor has 2 kitchens with cookers , kettles, fridges and microwaves. Most other hostels I have stayed in have 1 big kitchen between everyone which can get congested and sometimes be difficult to get in and cook when u need to. The hostel also has the Camel bar which provides a free snack meal each night and plenty of entertainment including beer pong, killer pool and my own favourite Jumbo Jenga (which I was champion of 2 weeks running). They also have a live DJ at weekends and a live music. The best part of my stay was meeting the staff. At anytime day or night they are there to help ( including one time when after a shower I was locked out of my dorm in nothing but a towel). The travel shop where also very helpful when they booked a room in a hostel on my behalf for my next destination. For a backpacker this hostel ticks all the boxes, great fun staff, clean and safe environment and a central location. Not the Ritz or the Plaza but who wants to stay in either of those places anyway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Hi Allan,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at Nomads Fat Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed your time with us. WE hope you are enjoying life down in Wellington and look forward to catching up next time you are in Auckland!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a similar experience to the person below. Booked a female only dorm. 2 girls in dorm decided to have male "guests" for the night. Fortunately didn't witness anything, but could definitely hear (which was enough, especially when they were doing it in the common area and almost in the dorm!). No sleep and pretty disturbing. Great location and staff were friendly enough, but that's pretty much it. Realise the problem is more the people rather than the hostel itself, but staff should have better control of guests. Unfortunately the layout doesn't help. Almost too private. I think friends/groups/couples book hoping to get the room to themselves with just 4 to a room or are long-term stayers. Ok if you are a partygoer, but if you are just a normal single traveller who appreciates sleep, a bit of consideration and discretion, then this is not the place. Would've been better off sleeping at the airport. Also, no clean sheets.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your stay at Nomads Fat Camel and I agree that the behaviour of certain guests was totally unacceptable. I know what room you were in without even checking as it was brought to our attention a few days ago that some of the guests who have been staying a few weeks were starting to flout the rules and it was obvious our night staff were not monitoring things as closely as they are supposed to. This is being rectified at the moment and those guests that continue to flout the rules will be politely asked to leave if they haven't already. Smoking in the rooms is not only against hostel policy but is also against the law.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I always stay in dorms and I'm not very picky about noise, sensible amounts of stuff lying around and people coming and going. But this hostel was so bad that even though I had paid for three nights, I booked another hostel after one night, and since they don't have a refund policy I ended up paying for two room for two nights, but I'm still glad I did it. When I arrived, the kitchen was dirty, the showers were dirty, the dorm was dirty and someone actually had some private time (yhea, the real stuff) in one of the bunks, just covered by a sheet. I can survive some nights in a dirty hostel, but what made me tick about this one was a gang of some other travelers, which I guess had stayed there for some time based on how they acted. This gang includes the happy couple. I should maybe have seen it coming when they were drinking beer on the room when I arrived, in a supposibly dry hostel, and smoking inside the room! Who does that? Well, I went out for the evening, came back to the hostel, spent some time in the worn out TV room and was back in the dorm by half past eleven, finding half the dorm asleep. Five minutes after I went to bed, a group of four comes in, turns on the light and decides to have a vorspiel inside the dorm, which they didn't even stayed in themselves. They only did it to wake up one of their mates. After an hour of drinking, shouting and smoking, they left, I still couldn't sleep because of the very loud street outside the window. When they returned, only the couple this time, I had finally fallen asleep, but got regulary woken up through the night by either the bunk shaking violently (yhea, I was so lucky that I got the bunk above them) or the smell of cigarett smoke. I guess that I would have had a better night sleeping in a park.

Even though this isn't entirely the hostels fault, I blame them for having poor control over the punters, especially since I guess that these people had stayed there for some time allready.
I would rather sleep in a park before staying at Nomads Fat Camel again, and I suppose everybody else consider the same, if you don't love rude and inconsiderate teenagers that is. I'm 21 yrs old my self, but know very good that normal people should not behave like this.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew D

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and I totally agree
that this behaviour was not acceptable. There have been 3 complaints in the last week about the same floor and this is being dealt with at the moment. The night staff have also been spoken too about regularity of their apartment checks for noise and people flouting the rules.
The apartment setting does mean that more intensive checks are needed as some people do start to treat them like they can do what they want which is not the case at all. This layout has been earmarked for change by the building owners.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I know this is a hostel for backpackers. But the place is still much worse than expectation.

The facilities are very old and bad, showers are terrible (I think they are 40 ys old). I felt same as RiOrIo24 did. “I Can't Believe They are in Business!”

But the staffs are nice at least and location is good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NorthCloud
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Hi Cyan351

I agree that the hostel is starting to look old and is now waiting for its long overdue renovation.
I am not sure what bathroom you were using but there are bathrooms located throughout the hostel all in very good condition.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hostel was absolutely terrible! We stayed for only 1 night and thank God it wasn't any longer than that!
We booked online and then got to the hostel for 12 in the afternoon to check in. As soon as we came in and stood at the desk the guy at reception just ignored us. I don't know what he was doing... just faffing about with some papers. The least he could do was greet us or say 'just a moment.' We said Hi and he said hi then continued to ignore us. Then my partner had to say 'we made a booking with you??' to get him to even serve us! So he checked our booking out then told us that our room wouldn't be ready until 1pm. Fair enough so we explored the city for an hour. Came back at 1 and he then tells us that they've had a really busy day and our room may or may not be clean. Then gave us our room key told us what floor. That was it. No explanation how to get to said floor, where bathrooms were, kitchen, nothing about check out times or procedures. We eventually found our room to find no it hadn't been cleaned yet. The cleaners were making the bed still. So we went back into the city for another hour. Came back at 2 and the cleaners were STILL cleaning. They were only just hoovering our floor before they would finish with our room. We didn't check in until 2:10pm.
To be honest I don't even know why the cleaners bother because the place was still filthy. The kitchen looked too dirty to cook in, the single toilet we all had to share was disgusting, the showers were growing alien life, the place stank, was extremely noisy at night, felt unsafe, and was very uncomfortable.

Such a terrible place to stay. Please head all our warnings and DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RiOrIo24

Hi Riorlo24,

If the customer interaction was as you reported this is unacceptable and this email has been passed on to all the staff. It is very unusual and over 90% of guests review the staff interaction as 4 or 5 out of 5.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

It is the most terrible, awful, horrible, dreadful place I have ever stayed at in all my entire life. I could not sleep even for 2 hours in that smelly room all over the night. It was exactly look like a chamber for growing microbes! My room has NO Windows, NO ventilation! I had to leave the room's door open all the night, then I could breath! Pay another 10 to 20 bucks more and stay in hostel that you can at least sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Pablo0

Hi Pablo O,

Unfortunately the no window budget rooms do get quite hot and stuffy over the summer period. This is why they are the cheapest rooms. All rooms and apartments are cleaned thoroughly
twice daily and a night cleaner also heads around at 10pm.