“Cheap but awful!”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Ranked #76 of 108 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
“Cheap but awful!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed here two years ago and they messed up our booking but upgraded us to a smaller dorm and it was really nice. I arrived here in February after a long flight from uk and the room was so messy,they just need to vacuum once in a while! One toilet for the apartment,always breaking. Showers were gross and there was only two for I don't know how many people. Free food was okay and the bar is really cheap. There's a no drinking policy there but there was one night when some people decided to have a party in the kitchen and were drinking and playing very loud music. Nothing was done about it,people who weren't even staying in our room kept comin in and out,don't know how they got a key. I would not recommend this hostel!

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I'm pretty easy-ozy when it comes to accommodation, especially as a backpacker - I'm not paying hotel prices so I expect budget quality. The minimum I require, and in my opinion it's the absolute minimum anyone offering accommodation should offer, is that the place I stay at is clean.

Unfortunately, Fat Camel couldn't even do the simplest cleaning job. This place is downright dirty.

Thankfully we were only staying there one night and we had an early start the next morning, so we could get the hell out of there sharpish.

My girlfriend and I walked into the room and while I tried to put a brave face on it, she almost walked straight back out. I managed to convince her that it wasn't so bad and we were only there for one night, but as soon as she was in the bathroom doing her thing, I pulled the blanket off the bed and threw it on the floor - this thing smelled like it hadn't been washed since the hostel opened 150 years ago. I'm pretty sure something had curled up on it and died not so long ago. I wasn't sleeping under that.

So, Auckland being Auckland, it wasn't the warmest place in the world. We ended up having to sleep in our hoodies because there was no way I was allowing that blanket to touch my skin and the windows didn't close properly so we were freezing our buttcheeks off.

If the rooms were bad, the kitchen and bathroom were worse.

We came out of the shower feeling dirtier than when we went in (probably due to the fact the floor from the bathroom to the room is covered in what felt like sand - I didn't get in close to see exactly what it was) and I'm sure there are new organisms evolving in that kitchen as I type.

I could go on about this place but I'll finish up with some bullet points...

Positives:

1. The guy on reception was friendly. I can't remember his name, but his dad was Scottish, so whoever you are, well done, you're the only positive to come out of this place.

Negatives

1. The dirt, oh the dirt
2. It's sandwiched between 2 strip clubs, not the classiest location in the world
3. The free food you get is the kind of thing you'd be served up in the not so distant future when mankind has more or less been wiped out, and we're forced to scrap over a post-apocalyptic landscape in search of water, eating rat stew and barbecued mutant-squirrel
4. The windows didn't close properly and it was freezing

So, you might to avoid this place.

Room Tip: Choose another hostel. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GFyans

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

This place is pretty run down with nothing nice about it at all.

The guy who checked me in on arrival was pretty rude. I'd made a booking over the phone and informed the guy that I had a discount voucher and I confirmed what the price would be however when I checked in the guy tried to charge me almost double and tried to make using my voucher pretty difficult although he accepted it in the end and gave me the discount.

rooms are small, cramped and smelly with very little space for your luggage however there are lockers in the room. Our 10 bed dorm had one power socket in it. The communal kitchen/living room has no windows and is again very small. Bathrooms were pretty clean though.

the place is right above a bar so its pretty noisy but i think most of the hostels along fort street suffer from noise as there are so many bars on that street. the free meal you get in the bar is a joke (ok i know its free but after what the wellington nomads gave away for their free meal i expected a lot better).

if you just literally want a bed for the night then i guess this is ok but the other nomads hostel is a lot nicer in my opinion and the same price. the one thing i did appreciate was they let me extend check out by one hour which was pretty sweet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

A horrible hostel. The dorms are about as cramped as a dorm can be - they pack you in like sardines and there is no space for everyone's luggage. The dorms are arranged into little flats, which might sound nice, but with 16 people sharing one tiny kitchen and one bathroom it certainly isn't nice. The bathrooms are the dirtiest I have seen in New Zealand and so is the living space. When we were there there were lots of long term workers living there with their belongings scattered all around the room. It was messy, dirty and not well ventilated. We checked out the next day and found somewhere else. If you're willing to pay a bit more, try base. If you want somewhere as cheap as fat camel, try the silver fern. Its a bit further out of the centre of the city but we much preferred it - clean and comfortable for only $20.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Westport, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Totally disappointed, my first experience terrible, they charged me from my credit card in USD (and the rates are in NZD), 5 NZD extra per book online, and in the webmail dosen't show that, and the people in the backpacker, don't know nothing about the charge!!!!

The first night I stay in the Double room, because I didn't know that DON'T HAVE WINDOW is unbelievable!!!!, the second night I asked for the DELUXE ROOM (with window) and was available, but was very noisy, close to the backpacker is a Nigthclub and is working all the day of the week, really noisy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

terrible place to stay. no windows in rooms. expensive drinks in the bar. DO NOT use the lift! it broke down with me in it and the phone in it didnt work no one cared. tiny shower. very limited bathroom facilities. crap place.

• Stayed December 2011
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We arrived at Nomad's after a pretty gruelling 36 hour journey, and just wanted to fall into the double bed we'd booked. After a fair bit of faffing about with an exceptionally drunken French student, the lad on reception found our booking, and handed us our key. We found our room, opened the door only to find the bed had been slept in the previous night, there was a pint of what looked suspiciously like urine on the bedside cabinet and the half eaten remains of a McDonald’s sat eyeing us from the corner of the room.

Naturally, I returned to reception, where the drunken Gaul had reappeared and was now trying to convince the rather flustered teenager behind the desk, that he had paid for a room for the night. After about 20 minutes, the manager came to the front desk and dealt with him, leaving me to approach and make my complaint. After explaining it was his first night, our man on reception spent a good 15 minutes re-assigning us to a double room that he was sure would have been cleaned. I took the key and headed up the stairs. On arrival in our new room, we were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a clean room with an actual window! We fell asleep instantly.

The following morning, I returned to reception, and despite my checking the previous night that we had booked for two night’s stay – the lad on the night shift had not in fact added the second night to our new room. The incredibly helpful (and seemingly more experienced) lady who had taken his place, ensured we were booked into our upgraded room, at no extra cost, for that night as well.

In short – I feel you get what you pay for with places like this, but basic cleanliness and organisation is not too much to ask. We did have a genuine cause for complaint, but it was dealt with (eventually) to our satisfaction, and we enjoyed our short stay in Auckland.

Room Tip: For the love of God don't get the most basic package if you can possibly afford to upgrade...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple