“Not the newest but felt like home.”

Queen Street Backpackers
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here for the first three days of arriving in Auckland and was immediately made to feel at home. The hostel is not the newest in the city and does show a little wear and tear but what it lacked in newness it made up for in character and charm. The staff there were great and very friendly, even the guy I woke up twice in one night to let me when I locked myself out of the building when they had closed. It's got great location and is close to everything and is well priced. I would recommend Queen Street Backpackers to anyone looking at starting their trip in Auckland.

Room Tip: If arriving on the weekend be prepared as the street gets pretty nosy if you plan on staying in.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Schowskitraveler

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Assaulted by Staff Member... Hows that for a review. I stayed at this place one night this week. Frankly, I didn't expect much, just wanted somewhere cheap to keep my luggage and crash at while I went to a few interviews, so I checked into a dorm room. That evening I went out, and got back around 3am, so there was no one on reception. I went into the dorm room, and EVERY bed was occupied (apparently this isn't unusual). I wasn't going to wake anyone, so I went out into the lounge and crashed on a couch. Was woken up by an overweight guy yelling at me. I was hung over, and very disorientated, and whilst trying to figure out what was going on, and trying to explain myself, he kept yelling at me, and pushing me. I had my key in my pocket, but he wouldnt listen, and kept screaming at me to get out. In the end he actually wrapped his arms around me and tried to get me out. I managed to get away, pull my key out and we both called the police. THE POLICE... I spent a night on a couch, got assualted by a staff member and had to call the police... Is that what you want when you stay somewhere. The police got QSB to refund me, but apparently as there was no witness and frankly the guy didn't punch me so no bruises or anything, I can't push for assault charges. I understand that sometimes they have people sneak in and crash and must get sick of it, I understand that I was probably a dazed from going out and being asleep so might not have been too coherent when first woken, but NOTHING excuses this.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank M A
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Did not end up staying here as I contacted them to add myself to a party group and got hung up on when offering my credit card details to confirm to which he thought he hung up on me bt hadn't and I could hear his entire rude discussion about me to a work mate who laughed and currently the phone is still engaged an hour later.how poor.obviously not busy at all.rude man.update I called back and asked to speak to the manager who said that was him.he wouldn't let me explain myself and told me to go somewhere else if I wasn't happy and hung up on me AGAIN! !!!I am now going to nommads who gave us a discount for how rude this other place was!how lovely:)very happy now!

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank Gwenda13
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I arrived in Auckland the week before Rugby World Cup without a hotel reservation. I jumped off the bus and right in front of me was the backpackers. I've stayed in hostels before and this one has a good set up. It's close to most everything and only a quick walk to the ferry building. The staff was super helpful in providing suggestion and feedback. If you have just arrived into Auckland this is a great spot to collect yourself and meet a traveling partner or two.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank JustJakeness
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed for 1 night in a not so clean room. At 7 AM I went to the main saloon to wait for a taxi that would take me to the car rental shop. There was a big smelly guy snoring in the saloon, that was the manager. The people from the car rental called me to the hostel to advise of a change in the our of pick-up but the irresponsible/lazy guy in the main desk didn't told me anything. I was watching tv 4 meters away from him. When I try to figured out what happened, the manager just lough at my face.
ABSOLUTELY RUDE AND FILTHY PEOPLE ATTENDING THAT PLACE
NOT RECOMENDABLE

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Maraguein
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I have stayed at Queenstreet Backapckers on a number of occasions and I would go back in a second. I am thrilled to say I have definitely made friends for life! I was going through some tough times while stayin at the hostel and Norman and his crew offered me more than just a roof over my head. They were truly a massive influence on my decision to stay in New Zealand. The were supportive, friendly, accomadating and very understanding. Anyone that goes to Queen Street Backpackers will be greeted with a friendly smile and will have the time of their lives! I have been travelling for over three years and this isone of the best hostels I have stayed in. This is a hostel were happy memories are made. You won't want to leave! Thanks to all the team at Queen Street Backpackers. You are all LEGENDS!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms available to suit any travellers need
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Vicky255106
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I came across QSB by mistake and it was proberbly the best mistake i made in my year in Auckland. The staff are friendly and knowlagable and go out of their way to make you feel at home.
I stayed at QSB for over 12 months and now every time i come back to the city i wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else.
Ill be moving back to Auckland soon and i will be moving straight back to QSB. If you are just here for a short while or for a length of time then i highly recomend QSB, i stayed in other hostels before but i wont be staying in any other again

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo