“Feels like home! Like any other hostel I've ever been”

Ponsonby Backpackers
Thuwal, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
“Feels like home! Like any other hostel I've ever been”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Ive been there three times already and always have been a super good experience. I don't know how the manage to create such a nice atmosphere. It just feels like everybody is good friend with everybody. I can say I made real friends there.

The kitchen is cool to use and there is a nice supermarket closeby. The toilets are always clean and the showers are nice. Staff is upper friendly and is located close to most of the fun you can find in Auckland!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Fernando C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New Zealand
Reviewed December 6, 2011

An average backpackers as far as I was concerned. I wasn't warned when I booked that reception would close for an hour over the time I was due to arrive. Not a great start.

The room was clean but tired and didn't have much privacy with it coming straight off the dining room. Fortunately the communal area is locked at night - unfortunately I was told the wrong door to unlock and got a bit worried when no one answered at the number listed for "emergency's" (sic).

The location is very handy for Ponsonby and central Auckland but even so, I don't think I'd stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
PonsonbyBackpackers, Manager at Ponsonby Backpackers, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Hi There,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you did not have such a great experience with us, we aim to make all of our guests happy. When our receptionist checked you in you were given instructions of which key was for your room and which was for the dining room door that passes through. The dining door does have the same number as your key on it to avoid confusion, you must have overlooked this. We are looking at bringing our reception hours back up with no break as we are getting busy so this was a helpful point to make though our staff are entitled to a break. Thanks for taking the time to make these points.

Regards

Holly (Manager)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This hostel has the best of everything. Its small which means it is a friendly, chilled, clean place to stay. The staff are really friendly and help you as much as they can. The kitchen and bathrooms are always clean and tidy, as are the joint areas such as the living room and the garden.
As a couple we stayed in a private double and the 7 bed dorm room - both were clean, had comfy beds and had loads of space for your bags.

Its only a 15min walk to the city centre and its an easy walk. Ponsonby road has loads of bars, restaurants, cafes, banks, shops ect ect, and has a great atmosphere.
There is loads of free on street parking available which is important if you plan to buy a car/van whilst in Auckland.

We originally booked for 3 nights but ended up staying for over a week. The hostel gets booked out fast! but the staff automatically booked us in each day and made sure we had a bed. You won't find that sort of care in any of the big hostels!

I've stayed in a lot of hostels throughout europe/asia/australia/new zealand ...and this has to be the best. I would def stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed at Ponsonby Backpackers for over 3 weeks during September and October for the World Cup. Host Holly was extremely helpful during my stay. I had booked Ponsonby well in advance however a few weeks before I was due to visit NZ, I ended up being on crutches. However Holly was very accommodating and changed my room to ground floor and made sure everything was accessible for me. I was very relieved!! Everyone was extremely friendly at all times and were very willing to help from explaining where the best places to shop, eat, go were an generally how to navigate the city. It made the stay very pleasant and you almost felt at home!! I highly recommend Ponsonby Backpackers! Great location, great people and great fun!

• Stayed September 2011
Auckland
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Ponsonby Backpackers was the best hostel I have come across in all my travelling. Managers John and Holly were extrememly welcoming and friendly and could not do enough to help us out, the other staff we came across were also charming. The hostel was kept in ship-shape, very clean cosy and comfortable. The garden is beautiful and perfect for relaxing after a hard days sight seeing. It was a great place to meet people compared to the larger hostels in the inner city. Could not make any criticisms at all!! All I can say is if you don't pick this place for your stay in Auckland then you are a dunce!

Room Tip: The double room we had was perfect for couples and close to the bathrooms as I think all the doubles...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed in this hostel for over 6 weeks and had the best experiences there. I have stayed 5 hostels since i've been in Auckland and this one was by far the best. The facilities were great with a fun outdoor area to socialise. Really close to the city centre, Ponsonby (which is great to go out) and is on the bus link. The sitting room is the perfect place to nurse your hangover too. Would definitely go back there. Management are good craic too. Couldn't ask for more from a hostel - top marks

Room Tip: Definitely stay there - great fun
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shane K
Manchester, England
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed for one night (the night after NZ won the World Cup). We arrived at 11am with bad hangovers and the staff welcomed us and had our room ready (private double). As I was more than shaky on my feet the staff helped carry our huge rucksacks up the stairs, not something you get in many Hostels! The room was spotless and had a contemporary design. The shower facilities are very clean, although you have to be quite the ventriloquist to get around in the ladies shower cubical, but no big problem! Although we didn't use the facilities, there is large living area with a nook exchange, internet access (and wifi) and a big flat screen tele with plenty of sofas. I would recommend this hostel and the area, Ponsonby is very nice (maybe pricey if you want very cheap food) and has plenty of restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo