“Rude manager”

Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Bromborough, United Kingdom
“Rude manager”
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Arrived at the hotel to check in. We had been allocated an apartment at the Sapphire apartments in Wakefield Street, Auckland. Staff were as polite as could be under the pressure of the manager.
We arrived at the apartments to find the fridge not working, light bulbs and sockets had blown, also some cutlery and crockery were missing. We went back to the hotel and spoke to the receptionist who tried to help, but had to contact the manager.
He came over was very rude and argumentative and eventually took us over to the apartment to put the fridge on and supply us with crockery and cutlery.
Next day the fridge had broken down, so again we phoned the hotel and the cleaners came in and changed the fridge. That night, we noticed that more lights were blowing (dodgy wiring) and by day three, we really have had enough when a parking space we had been assured we could have and had paid for was not available.
We had an argument with the manager (again!!), who eventually agreed to refund us and we moved to a really PROFESSIONAL hotel, where we are treated with respect as paying guests.
I would not recommend ANYONE to stay there and feel sorry for the staff who work for him. They all seemed scared of this horrible manager.

4 Thank LorrayneChester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New Zealand
Reviewed March 25, 2006

I recently stayed at the Auckland City Hotel for three nights. My room, with two single beds in it, was small and rather drab looking. The sheets were clean on the bed I slept in, the base of the shower was acceptable but the washbasin and toilet could have been cleaned more carefully. The remote for the TV was missing as was the On/Off button so I had to use a teaspoon handle to operate the TV! The noise from the Boy Racers across the road continued until 2.30am and did mean a lack of sleep. The Staff at Reception seemed rather uninterested which didn't help with first impressions. This is an old Hotel and one gets what they pay for.
There were positives:
It is within walking distance of the inner city and was acceptably priced (on the Internet) at $NZ69 a night. On St Patrick's Day, Forde's Bar on the sixth floor offered a nourishing and filling bowl of Irish Stew.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank greymatter

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed March 18, 2006

I stayed 2 nights in this one last december. It was VERY cheap and in good place near the center of the city. My room was very small and worn out. Clean enough(!) and I slept ok in that small bed. I have no real complaints, but if I go again to Auckland, I will try something else, even if it costs me more.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank Jamppa
London
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Do not book this place. I wont call it a hotel as it does not deserve it.
Our room was damp and smelly and im sure we too had fleas!
They were the only place to charge my credit card before we arrived and i see why now as i would have left without payment as it was a terrible place. Be warned if you have booked then try to cancel - its horrible.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank twisletops
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 2, 2006

The room was better then we expected. We only found this website after we had booked and the feed back we read before we got to this hotel was very poor.

We managed to get a room at the side of the hotel so there was no road noise. But the wind howls through the windows making a noise like dragging a lump of rock across the road. Leaking gutters and pipes means all night you will have pouring water falling onto a platic roof. Pure Chinese water torture.

I came down at 8.30am to change the room as we had unfortunatly booked for two nights. But "absolutley not" was the receptionists reply. This was an improvement on the receptionist the previous day who booked us in. She was too busy chatting to a friend on MSN to do anything more then give us a dirty look when we dared to stand at the desk. When we asked to book a shuttle to the airport (as their brochure tells us to do only through reception) She told us to come back and do it the next day. No surprises to see that the lazy girl wasn't working the next day! She simply didnt want to be bothered to do it there and then!

Still look on the bright side. The receoptionist was sooooooooooooooo lazy and preoccupied with her cyber fun that she didnt charge us. STEER CLEAR!

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2006

I had no problem with the room. It was clean and tidy, and all the facilities were fine.

But the NOISE!!!

There's a 4 lane street, with traffic lights right outside, so vehicles of all sizes (and volumes) are starting and stopping continuously.

I stayed on a Saturday night, which is probably only second to Friday in terms of noise.

The road noise would have been bearable (just), but the empty carpark across the road was a meeting place for our next generation of deaf people. Cars would gather, open their doors and crank up their thumping stereos. This actually got worse as the night went on. The window was vibrating in the window frame, but at 2am the door into the hallway also started to vibrate from the noise. I gave up on sleep and went walking about the city for an hour. By the time I returned at 3am the noise makers had gone.

I find it amazing that people can be allowed such antisocial behaviour outside a place of residence, but the police are only concerned with bigger issues.

Unfortunately, all the rooms are on the noisyest side, with the stairs and lift enjoying the quieter side.

Perhaps a room near the top would be acceptable, but the 3rd floor was just too noisy.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oxford, England
Reviewed January 25, 2006

First with the positive points - our room had a huge TV! And it was dirt, dirt cheap! But with the price tag comes the dirt, and the Auck City Hotel has plenty of it. ACH saw its day in the 1970s and has changed little since, so expect to get run-down budget accomodation matching the price you pay. The room was a fair size with a decent bathroom and good shower - plenty of water pressure. Location wise, it is a short-walk to the centre and there are a couple of Asian-themed restaurants nearby, but little else aside from the cafe/bar adjoining the hotel - I think we paid more for breakfast here the following morning than for the previous nights accomodation.

• Stayed October 2005