“what you expect from a one star, I guess.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Arena Hotel
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
New Zealand
“what you expect from a one star, I guess.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

My husband and I booked at the Arena Hotel, principally because of it's handyness to the Arena Staduim, where we were attending a show. We liked the idea of being able to just walk to the show and back again afterwards, and not have to worry about traffic etc.
At the time of booking, we were intending to stay 3 nights, but my husbands work committments meant we had to cut our stay down to just one night. When we booked through the internet, the full payment for 3 nights was taken from my credit card immeadiately. When we had to change our nights, I phoned, and was told that the other two nights would be refunded to me on arrival. Well, it wasn't, and not on departure either. We were told when we departed, that only the boss was able to do refunds, and he was not in that day, but we were assured that he would do it the next day. Well, it took 3 weeks, and 3 phon calls to finally get the money re-imbursed into my account. Not very impressive.
Also, when we booked, we choose a room with a double and a single bed, as all the double rooms were booked. however on arrival, we were sent to a room that had three single beds. When we approached reception, we were told that was all there was, as they were fully booked, so not happy about that, I went out to our vehicle to retrieve the paper work that showed what we had booked. Then, the man at reception decided he coul give us a double. This room was right at the back of the hotel, where it butts against the hill, and it smelt really musty and damp, but at least there was no traffic noise. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was good and the cleaning was adequate, but decor etc was very dated and tatty. And some of the characters you met in the corridor or lifts were dubious.
There is also only about 12 carparks for a hotel with about 60 rooms, and most of these were taken up by staff. We were told to park in the carpark over the road, which was quite expensive, and that after the show, we would be able to bring the car back into the hotel park. But after the show, the only park available was on a delivery zone, and the vehicle had to be moved by 7am the next morning, back over to the expensive park over the road.

We ate at the little diner attached to the hotel, and found it to be nothing flash, but the food was OK, and overall was good value for money.

Overall, not a great experience, and I am just glad that we were only one night, but definitely handy to the Arena.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Waikato
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2009

The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming. When we went to our rooms, we found it amusing that there was a filing cabinet in the hallway....very random.

The room was not the flashiest but it was clean and I found the bed comfy. The rooms were a bit warm, but no air-conditioning. I slept with the window open (we were high enough to feel safe about this) I could hear revellers late that night but I can sleep through anything so this didn't really bug me.

The hotel was across the road from the Vector Arena and this was why we chose this accommodation. We had a child with us and we didn't want to have to walk too far with her after the concert, so the location was perfect for us.

I would stay here again. Although, the rooms aren't flash they are clean. I can do cheap and plain...but I cannot bear to stay in dirty, so at least this place was clean.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Dated decor and what's with the broken filing cabinet in the hallway
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
gold coast, australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2008

Lady at the front desk was lovely and really helpful. Hotel was in OK location but next time wouldnt stay there. No real problems except on the last night we spent an hour or so in the lobby in our pj's due to the fire alarm going off... It went off because it was RAINING too much....

• Liked — the lady on the desk
  • Disliked — the fire alarm set off by rain
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Gillingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

That really sums it up, a cheap hotel, with very few thrills, but for the price its by no means a hell-hole.
Its in an ok location for the city, Queen St, the harbour area etc all walking distance. Parking over the road.
Cannot comment on food as didn't partake.
Rooms were small but clean, shower was ok - Auckland can get quite humid & there was no fab or AC, so the room got a bit stifling, & of cournse with the window open you will hear Beach Road in all its glory through the rush hour!!

• Stayed March 2008
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

Well, yes this is not a lovely place to stay. It is noisy and worse than most of the hostels, rooms are tiny and the bathrooms are quite grubby and smell bad.......but it won't kill you if you have earplugs and require a CHEAP hotel.

However - the staff are very nice and helpful, it has a good location the parking is good and if you don't want to spend a huge amount of time in the hotel it doesn't matter too much....

Most importantly you won't find anywhere cheaper...it is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP for Auckland - people who see this price and expect it to be as good as the other hotels in the area which are MUCH more expensive are kidding theselves!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Bathroom and cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Lower Hutt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

So went there for the JT Concert arrived there on my own to meet my girls that were arriving later that day to come across the entrance looking average - firstly we had booked a four bedroom room 2 months ago and once i got there they said they could only do a 3 bedroom and a single - not the safest or funnest thing to happen but they never explained why was v dissapointed - so after seeing the entrance thought ok not too bad made my way to my level and was unimpressed how run down it was to arrive to my single room - that had a bed as hard as bricks and that night had no sleep as too was on Beach Rd side - and listening to ppl going at it in there rooms and yougins partying till 6am with no staff to tell them to quiet down - WILL NEVER EVER STAY THERE AGAIN!!! might be cheap but isn't the nicest at all!! - isn't the safest place for women to stay on there own isn't very professional at all!!!

• Liked — nothing - location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 2nights, it was the worst 2nights sleep i have ever had!! Our room was facing Beach Road and everytime a truck or something passed by the window and door or the room rattled...had 2buy earplugs for the 2nd night!! The shower was a disaster and room horrible. I would not advise anyone to stay here, its disgusting!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)