“Location - perfect.”

Ranked #40 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Location - perfect.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in November, the location was excellent. Hotel room was clean decent, it's somewhat spacious, the view we had was really nice. Beds comfy.

There isnt really anything that makes it particularly special but the price is good and there is nothing to complain about. The best part is that it's in a great spot, really top location most of the central city is within walking distance. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Have just returned for a girls weekend away with my daughter.
Having looked forward to the trip for a long time i was left unsure as to how I really felt about my stay.
I had kindly been offered a room upgrade to a one bedroom city view and a wee box of choccies was to have been in the room as a treat for my girl. While I was aware an early check in couldnt be guaranteed - I was hoping for it.. Unfortunately no.Bags were kindly stored though. Thats ok but the room not being ready at 2.30 wasnt ok. and there was then a further wait while said choccies were installed in the room.

Having prebooked via the net check in seemed unnecessarily lengthy and I had to give my credit card details again. There was to be a hold placed on my card - this insulting practice is now rife in Auckland. The amount changed 3 times during check in so I have no idea what the hold was !

The room was nice and spacious. A lounge/dining/kitchen with plenty of seating and a big cupboard. The bedroom was smaller but with a huge walk in wardrobe - I'd like to take it home.

adequate bathroom and laundry. A more fuller figured person (im not a slim jim) might battle to sit comfortably on the loo - its certainly not roomy. Shower could benefit from a shelf so you dont have to hold everything

Room had a terrible stench - musty and very unpleasant. I threw open all the doors and windows hoping that would help.

My daughter was besotted with the room. Loved the space and views - and of course the choccies..

as we were out and about until after tea the stench didnt matter but it was still there when we got back.
Again all doors open

We sat down to watch some tv and could either get no reception or something very hazy.
I rang reception figuring there was a trick I needed to know.

The phone went unanswered for nearly 10 minutes. I rang the mainline from my cellphone, the internal lines and all the calls went unanswered,

I then had to go 10 floors down to reception wait in line and ask for help. Not a lot of response when I say how long I have been ringing!

i was told to push a combination of buttons. Needless to say that didnt work. Several unanswered calls later someone came to look at there. something was amiss with the aerial connection behind the tv.

we then went for a swim. the pool area would be lovely with a bit of attention paid to it. It looks tired and drab

One of the 3 pools was having its "weekly water change" for our 2 night stay .

was lovely to have a swim

Back to the room I thought i'd dry the towels on the heated towel rail. Nothing doing. Turn switch on and off and nothing

So I figure I'll use the dryer. Nothing. Washing machine nothing. Zero power to these.

Ring reception and it appears there had been a blown fuse. not caused by us!

Towards bedtime I discover the airconditioner doesnt work properly. Only seems to heat. The knob just turns around and around. My daughter had by this stage decided I was likely to be viewed as dimwit so I decided to leave it until the morning.

We head out for the day and I leave reception a note about the aircond and tell them

You'd think that would be enough to get it fixed but nope!

Come back from a day out and the stench is still evident. So I ring reception again to get the air con looked at and to ask for some airfreshner

A lovely man fixes the air con and says many of the rooms smell like that - from the air con well the musty part

Sniffing around I reckon most of the stench is from the sink/drains and he agrees as it is worse than just musty

A lady comes with cleaning stuff and does a bit sink clean. I think the product must mask the smell because when we get back from a show its as bad as it ever was.

There used to be a restaurant which no longer operates. Would be a good idea to remove reference from the in room compendium and also off the walls etc

Also having been told on 13 September 2013 that there was a bar for evening drinks (and seeing signs promoting happy hour) it was bewildering to be told on 5 October there was no bar?????

I asked for a cab to be called and it was there on time! That can be hit and miss with hotels.

Check out was fine

Overall - if my girl hadnt been so happy I would not rate this hotel very highly at all.

My girl isnt naive - we have stayed in some lovely places , and some not so lovely

She was very very pleased although did find the walk to the CBD a bit far.

as for me, the jury is still out.

The majority of staff were great. Some disinterested. a bit more care to presentation too would help

It seems there are a large number of permanently occupied apartments now and I have seen other places go down in a screaming heap once that happens

I hope that isnt the case here

The place has a lot to offer. Room would be great if everything worked and it didnt smell.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chippie_7
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Being at the bottom of Hobson Street the Grand Chancellor is right next to the Viaduct and just a four-minute walk to Queen Street - brilliantly central, which makes it very easy for visitors to get to restaurants, shops and transport. The rooms are lovely although if you're even a little above average height, you'll have to duck to get under the shower-head.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - they are larger than those along the corridors' sides.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was quite happy with my stay here. The property is located close to Viaduct Harbour and Sky City, just on the east edge of the CBD. The room itself was clean and had a mini-kitchenette - which is great as I went down to the local supermarket sometimes to by my own groceries.

There is car-parking available - quite affordable and great if your hiring car - rates are based on 24 hours - you can enter/exit as many times you want :).

I stayed in the one-bedroom apartment - spacious. There is also a small lounge area and a balcony.

The property has a spa and gym - although a basic gym - as most hotels generally have.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible facing Viaduct Harbour - great views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Paihia, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was my second stay here, and it was fantastic!
The service was awesome and the room was great. Location is perfect. Thanks for another great stay. Will be back!
The 1 Bedroom Suite was perfect for 2 friends sharing. Nice deck, nice view and enough space.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our first room was OK as a room, but was on the second floor and faced out into Hobson Street. We could have treated the passing parade on Hobson Street to a full sight of our ablutions and sleeping habits. So we upgraded to an apartment with a harbour view. Bit more expensive, but, given we were in the first days of our holiday, well worth the difference. Location was quite convenient. Staff were fine for what little we wanted. The in-house restaurant was closed. but there was plenty of choice nearby.

Room Tip: Go for upper level rooms with the harbour views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
whangarei
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Booked two rooms through Wot if with up grades to suites,The service was fine large rooms and clean. Our 4yr old loved the pool.BUTon booking in we were told it would be an extra $30 per car parking overnight[We had 2 cars] and they had to have a credit card for security ok but on checking out would we like to charge the car parks and $11 bar tab to credit card ok but as she proceess it she tells me there is a 1.5% surcharge for the credit card which they requested,To make matters worse as i drove out the Wilsons car park next door had a banner up offering $5 overnight parking
The special offer on Wotif soon got topped up and on that bases we wont be going back The hotel is ok but the Rip off at the front desk is one to look out for. The overall rating is for the rip off.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family