“4 Star with Tiny TV and Iron in the room!”

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was okay, central Auckland location and only NZ$110 per night but it was very rough around the edges. Like many hotels that are part hotel, part permanent residences it has challenges. The kitchen was poorly equipped, there was no Iron or Ironing Board and an 18 inch 4x3 TV simply doesn't cut it for 4 star. Reception also understaffed with only one person during peak hour checkout.
In short good for one night if you can get it cheap (I got mine on wotif.com) but there are better options available. I'd go elsewhere!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Albywon

Reviewed December 11, 2012

upon checkin we were told we could not use a debt card to secure the room a credit card was needed.
I thought standard practice, yeah ok, we informed them we would be paying with the debt card, as we did not want to pay the extra 1.5% charged on top of using a credit card.
upon checkout we paid with said debt card.
upon using my visa there was all of a sudden isufficent funds. unknown to either of us, the hotel put a hold on $300, no one at check in or check out informed us of this.
Ringing to 'complain' about this the staff did not really seem to care, said it was not thier problem.
it has now been 3 days and the money is still not back in my account, and now apparantly it is the banks fault not the hotels.

as for the room they gave us, lets say it was very tired and could do with some TLC.
and they were nice enough to put us right next to the major construction works that are going on next door.
would not recommend this hotel

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the construction
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed 4 nights recently and were very disappointed with the total lack of service. We too were hit with $30 per day car parking fee and were not even told that we needed reception staff to let us back down to the basement car park. Luckily we were helped out by a permanent resident who had the magic key to work the lift. The spa could only be accessed by same staff key and jets were not working at all. Wardrobe door off it's hinge, plug missing, broken toaster... The list goes on. Reception staff were very superior in their attitude and made us feel like we were wasting their time. Fortunately this was the only bad experience we had while in NZ.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Here is a list of reasons why you should reconsider spending your money elsewhere. Not that we were expecting perfection, but that the price of a room at this hotel doesn't reflect what you get...

Paid a little extra for a harbour view room, which turned out to just be a lovely view of a car park, with the sad looking harbour in the distance, this was from the 11th floor. The TV was an old 25" CRT - lol. The gym had 1 cardio machine which was broken, and was on display to everyone walking past. The swimming pool area was dirty and gross, and the spa jets didn't work as they should.

This list might seem a bit petty to some, but we were planning on being able to use all of these facilities comfortably, and enjoy a nice harbour view from the room. So if you're in a similar position, don't stay here.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

After reading the reviews on this hotel I decided to book a city view room (above level 4) and we were pleasantly surprised :)

We arrived early in the day and staff were friendly and helpful, they offered to store our luggage so we could go out while we were waiting for check in. We returned to check in and our room was ready. We were on level 14 in a one bedroom city view appartment. The room was clean and modern, bed was very comfortable, good shower pressure, had a washing machine and dryer which came in handy. Full large kitchen and a balcony.

The pool was clean and big, the spa was great after a day out shopping. We went to the restaurant for a bar snack of Nachoes which was really nice and not pricey. My hubby used the gym and it was good.

Yes there was traffic noise but only when we had our doors or windows open and only what you would expect in auckland. There was construction happening next door but this didn't bother us as we were out during business hours shopping and exploring and what we did see of it was quite entertaining. We could also see people jumping off the sky tower which was fun.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we found them all very welcoming. Particularly a gentleman called Lee who was always smiling. I asked for a few things ie: extra towels and a blanket and they were immediately delivered with a smile. We would definitely stay at grand chancellor again!! Thanks for making our stay simple and enjoyable

Room Tip: I would say pay the little extra to get a higher up room as others reviews suggest it may be another...
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago while in Auckland for a night for a concert. We'd booked the room through Wotif, so got a one-bedroom suite for $145 for the night. We arrived late morning - our room wasn't ready but that was fine cause we were able to leave our bags at reception while we went out for shopping and lunch. Reception staff not overly friendly though (throughout our stay).

The room itself was a good size - the bedroom could be shut off from the kitchenette/ living area. The decor wasn't anything special, and was looking a little tired in places. The table and chairs looked a bit cheap. Still, it was perfectly comfortable when we had a few friends over for a couple of drinks before we went out. Cleanliness was good. Reception also promptly provided extra wine glasses in request. We were on the second floor, so not a great view, and there was a bit of noise from a major road outside, especially in the afternoon.

We tried out the pool for a quick dip - the pool/ spa area was quite dark as it got very little natural light, but it was clean enough. The lap pool was kind of cold, but probably fine if you're doing laps - good length. Unfortunately your room key card doesn't automatically unlock the entrance to the pool/ gym - have to get reception to open.

Only one annoying thing about our experience with this hotel - when we got home I discovered my credit card has been charged $4. I was puzzled about what this was, as we hadn't used anything from the minibar and had prepaid our room before we arrived. I called the hotel about this - they said it was a minibar charge, but were happy to refund this when I assured we hadn't used anything.

Overall I'd stay at this hotel again if in Auckland for one or two nights if I could get a room there at a good price. Was nothing particularly special though.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The reception people have an attitude, not caring and friendly. I would suggest this feeds down from management after overhearing an unprofessional conversation.
The reception desk is not particularly tidy and free of clutter.

TO THE ROOM: The bed is very low-like a futon. On inspection of the mattress it is ancient-very old! no excuses for this. The bed has one thin wool blanket, and checking the cupboards-there are no others in the room. At midnight, I need to phone the reception and ask Where is the duvet? to which the reply is we don't keep those in the room-why not? Is your customers comfort not your priority-after all, they are sleeping over.

I booked my hotel through last minute. The price was $102, by the time I got to booking confirmation it was $134 (seems $102 was in ozzie $$, and there was a $5 booking fee). Now I read the information carefully which mentioned they have parking.

But when I arrive and ask for my car to be parked-Im told it is $30 on top of my room rate, and that info is ON the website. Well NO it is not on last minute.

That brings the cost to $160. OK, if the room is nice, the bed comfortable, staff professional and the hotel has considered their customers comfort. However, this was not the case.

LOW budget accommodation. As one would expect from 1-2 stars.

(A lot of traffic noise)

Not one of the staff smiled!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business