“Justifies the price & very helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Justifies the price & very helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I had read all the reviews for this place and took a chance by booking it as it had mixed reviews but there was a very good deal on offer...so why not!. I was pleasantly surprised and happy with my decision to stay at the grand chancellor as it was value for money. The room justified the price that I had paid and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. They desk was very busy on Sunday morning due to a drunkard hassling the staff but it was dealt with by the staff professionally. The room although a bit tired was adequate and spacious and had good kitchen facilities. The location is perfect for a night out in town. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up in the building if you want a good view. Fanshawe Street facing rooms are be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Tewantin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently stayed for 8 days on business in a 1 bedroom apartment. Let me start by saying this hotel is tired and in need of a major refurbishment. This is evident, not just in the apartment, but in the lobby and the restaurant.
There was no blanket on the bed and no spare blankets or pillows in the wardrobe. No compendium in the room and no room service menu. When I rang and asked for a menu I was told that there currently isn't one as they're updating the menu and it won't be available for "many weeks". I asked if they could make me something gluten free and was told that there was nothing gluten free in the entire kitchen. Very frustrating as I chose this hotel because of it's 24 hour room service claim and because I am a single female and don't want to be out walking the city by myself in the dark looking for gluten free food.

The apartment was adequate but tired looking and very bland. The sofa was old and sagging. The tv screens were the size of laptop screens (seriously!). The tiles in the bathroom floor were cracked and the shower (over bath) was very, very small. I am a 5'7 small female and I barely fitted in the shower/bath. The shower nozzle is also very low down the wall meaning I had to bend down to wash my hair under it. I have no idea how taller people would manage.

The reception staff were generally helpful. The restaurant staff were sullen and didn't seem to want to be there.

The windows aren't double glazed and street noise was audible at night. The balcony door had no way of latching it back and, if open, would bang in the wind. There were no available power points at the desk for me to plug in my laptop unless I removed the power for the desk lamp or the tv. The hotel advertising promises complimentary newspapers but if you aren't at reception by 8 am to collect one they're all gone.

All up I won't be returning to the Hotel Grand Chancellor, Auckland has too many good hotels to waste time retuning to the not so good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mieux2002
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This place is offered cheap and there is a reason. The building is really badly put together - we inspected a room which was cheap and clean but we noticed that even though the place is pretty new, tiles in the bathroom were badly cracked and the wall linings were kind of coming away in places. whoever cleaned the joint had emptied half a can of Glen 20 in there and although it was clean - it stank. Really nice guys on reception but a pretty bodgy place. Parking is $30 per day. Better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Might be OK if you want a three bedroom apartment
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gotoday1
Wagga Wagga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

The staff did not really present as friendly – it seemed that they didn’t really want to be there – just going through the motions of the day!!
The room was OK. Bed was that low it was almost like sleeping on the floor! For a suite that was supposed to be fully self-contained – it wasn’t. Went through the kitchenette draws, found an egg flip but no fry pan – when I asked reception, they gave me a flat wide saucepan with lid and said it was the best they could do! The fridge was that full of mini bar products, I had to empty it to fit my food in there!!
The TVs in the room don’t match the advertising at all!! Little tiny things, attached to the wall, with no swivel. When you sat on the lounge, you had to twist yourself about 45 degrees to see the TV. The one in the bedroom was not much better!!
The noise from the early morning peak hour traffic was a rude awakening each morning!
The bathroom was functional, although the position of the toilet roll holder left a lot to be desired!! To dam close to your elbow nd I nearly put my back out trying to negotiate the use of the roll!!! Floor tiles need to be replaced – the door looks like it has has sucked up too much moisture (fuzzy edges and all!)
Oh and I can’t forget the curtains!! I had to use a dining chair in the lounge and the bedroom to KEEP the curtains closed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Location is great in the heart of Auckland CBD. The price was cheap but the accommodation was cheaper. The rooms could do with a lick of paint, the smell of disinfectant was overwhelming in the room which isn't a good sign. The staff were only ok & not overly welcoming, just happy to do their job. My room was next to a construction zone which didn't allow for a sleep in. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get into a better Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dreese005
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We recently stayed here for two nights in a studio room. The location was very convenient. We didn't use the restaurant as there are several excellent cafes around the area, which were great for breakfast. We arrived at about 10am and were told to return at 2pm, but were allowed to leave our luggage in a storage room. The room itself was simple. The bed was soft. There was a kitchenette, which had everything we needed. Wouldn't choose to cook in the room because the smell would stay. The TV was surprisingly small. The bathroom was tired but clean. It is a very short bath and the showerhead is very low - and I am short!! No need for them to provide a showercap; there was no danger of the water touching a hair on my head! Having said that, the pressure was good and the temperature remained constant.

The best thing was the convenient location.
The worst thing was the noise. We were there on an evening that NZ won the rugby and went out and bought earplugs, which were the best thing I bought all weekend. Possibly because we were on the first floor, we could hear people walking past the hotel and talking. Very irritating. So earplugs are my recommendation.

Room Tip: We had a view of the city - but really, of a building site and the road! A higher room facing the ha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I read a few reviews on this hotel before I went there and there were a few that weren't all that good, so I thought I should at least share my experience

I stayed for three nights as part of a work trip. My room was spacious enough, it had a desk which was useful to set up laptop up on. Also had a cook top and dish washer, which would have been useful if I had wanted to cater for myself.

The room was serviced daily and was clean. I could have elected to save the environment and skip room service if I wanted

A few people commented on the state of the bathroom. Though not amazing, the bathroom and shower were in good condition, as was the rest of the room. I didn't personally swim in the pool, but my colleague did and unlike the earlier reviews, it was clean and wasn't anything like described earlier

The only slight issue I would have was with the restaurant. One the first morning, we chose to have the breakfast buffet downstairs. The selection was find and there was generally enough food. However it was tepid, and tasted like it was sitting there for a while. With it being so close to other cafe's, we didn't go back again.

If the rate was right, I would consider using this for personal travel again. The location is very central, which is nice. Despite the location, I didn't really have any issues with noise either. Construction of the power sub-station ceased during the evening, and I barely noticed it during the day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business