“On holiday in our home city!!”
Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Decided to spend a night in Auckland city and the Hotel de Brett was just the ticket for a lovely stay. We stayed in the two level loft suite and it was just wonderful. Beautifully decorated, a little quirky, gorgeous bathroom with the perfect bath for two. The bed was comfy and I loved the mini bar incorporated into the wardrobe. We even had a second shower/toilet area on the lower level. I would happily stay here again and tell my friends about it.
Valet parking was $20.00. Good value for the city. We didn't make it up in time for breakfast the next morning, so no comment for that. But did have a lovely brunch the previous day and the coffee was very good. Had a cocktail in the house bar before dinner and wish I could have had a few more.
The location is good as you can walk to the best shopping. One being the fantastic men's shop Strangely Normal.
We look forward to another visit to the deBrett.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed September 23, 2010

After reading all the great reviews, my partner and I were looking forward to ending our New Zealand holiday in style at Hotel DeBrett. We were impressed with the hotel itself - once a run down backpacker hostel, it has been beautifully refurbished with original, modern decor that gives it a lovely boutique feel, plus it is in a great location. There were a few small issues with the room - the bathroom bin had not been emptied from the previous occupants, and there was no iron or ironing board, which we found really frustrating. Otherwise, our room was lovely with great big windows looking over the High St shops.

We were, however, extremely disappointed with the service we received from the staff. In particular, the young man on the front desk was arrogant, condescending and did not make us feel welcome in the slightest. Similarly, we found the breakfast staff standoffish and vague, as was the girl on the front desk when we checked out. Given the excellent service we have received through out the rest of New Zealand, we were expecting much better from Hotel DeBrett. I know the hotel has reinvented itself as a funky, upmarket boutique, but a touch of warm and the odd smile would not go astray!

Reviewed September 22, 2010

My wife and myself spent 2 nights here before starting a 3 weeks trip around New Zealand.
We had a really great stay and I wish to underline the extraordinary honesty of the staff. I left my wallet with all the credit cards and a lot of cash in the library from 11 pm to 9am. When I woke up and I didn't find the wallet in the room I really went into panic because the dreamed vacation was turning into a hell. But the wallet was at the reception and nothing was missing. Thank to all of the staff for their uncommon honesty.
Besides this, here my valution of the hotel:
Pros: excellent location, very confortable and top level rooms (no noise at all from the street), good breakfast, warm atmosfere and of course, again and again, great honesty.
Cons: the hall is quite small (but don't do the mistake to judge the hotel from its hall).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This hotel is obviously much more than an investment for the owners. It's a work of art. We found the staff and management very friendly and professional. The position could not have been better. The breakfast was excellent, with proper coffee! When next in Auckland we will be back.

Internet access is included in the room price, but is limited to one device at a time.

Hint: It is very elegant/trendy, and you will want to dress appropriately.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed with my husband for 2 nights in January. Good service, big rooms. I just loved the modern retro decor of my room and the whole hotel, I wished I lived there! Gorgeous designer bathroom with 2 sinks. The only fault was the awkwardness of having the open a glass door to get into the toilet. I enjoyed using their "library room", where you could hang out and have a drink or borrow some dvds, magazines, books etc and take them to your room. The borrowing system was a bit old school (honesty system) but I am honest :) Being able to catch up on the classic NZ film "The Piano" on the nice flat screen tv in my room was great. The best thing of all was the bed, I can't describe how comfortable it was, I was in heaven!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2010

From the moment I arrived at Hotel DeBrett reception the service was faultless. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The room was exceptional with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in; a well stocked mini bar with free snacks and coffee which were replenished every day, nothing was too much trouble.
I loved this boutique hotel with its wonderful decor, excellent dining, wonderful wine list and friendly helpful staff. I will be back ... without a doubt - a wonderful experience that has be be repeated.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Brilliant property, very different and unique than the run of the mill chain hotels. Very tidy, great service. Fantastic location. Particulary like the drawing room concept with honesty bar -very kiwi! and the books/dvd's and board games to use FOC. The restaurant "Kitchen" is Fab, small but well chosen menu, the friends that joined me for dinner are still talking about it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple