“Does exactly what it says on the packet”
Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was very much looking forward to my two-night stay here and it didn't disappoint.
I chose this hotel based upon its reputation and style.
The mid-century and Art Deco features are very nicely represented with quality furniture and fixtures.
I stayed in room 2.9 with an interior facing window.

Pleasing:
Wifi included in the room rate. Too many hotels try to skimp on this. I appreciate it's inclusion.
Fantastic bath! The entire bathroom is superb and well appointed.
Complimentary toiletries and tea/coffee were of a nice quality.
Location is perfect.
Continental breakfast is nutritious, delicious and plentiful.
Room service (used once) was speedy, delicious and priced fairly.
My room was peaceful and very quiet. I never heard anyone in the corridor.

Didn't work for me:
The bed. Way too soft for me. In the morning there was a huge hollow in the bed where I felt stuck in!
Hanging space was too short to hang a dress in the otherwise very stylish and functional standalone funky unit.
The provided toiletries are in teensy bottles that are very hard to get out. I had to mutilate the bottles to squeeze out the thicker products.

I would happily recommend HDB and would like to return some day.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at hotel DeBrett for a luxury overnight experience on a week night. The room was magnificent - the mid-century furniture provides a unique experience. The staff were fabulous - professional and attentive. For our meal in DeBrett's kitchen, we loved the food, the ambience, and the service was excellent. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an original and very special night out in Auckland City.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2014

From our arrival until check out the level of service we received was superb. The interiors are warm and inviting and the suite had everything to make it a perfect stay.
A special thank you to Rachel, Scarlett, Olivia and Sante for going above and beyond. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Funky little hotel, very well done over, great and modern rooms in an "old" hotel space. Great people, very central. Good value. Are returning for an overnight on our way home from Perth. Would definitely recommend to any couple. Also good for business travelers. Kinnaman's of Savannah. Keep doing what you are doing Michele and partner.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnKinnaman
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

I can't really fault this place. We stayed here for two nights whilst in Auckland. The fitout is excellent and leaves nothing to be desired (except maybe a view). It has a nice eclectic feel making it very different to your usual hotel.

The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. We were escorted to our room which is a nice touch. The room had an excellent sized bath and the shower was amazing. The bed was comfy and they have a pillow menu.

I agree with previous reviews about breakfast - it is a tad on the skimpy side but fine if you don't have high expectations. We also ate at the restaurant which that night had live jazz playing. The food was delicious and the service impeccable.

Highly recommend Hotel Debrett

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We just spent 3 nights here in a loft suite. I love hotels with strong themes and this certainly does mid-century modern very well. The bed is possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept in (I was tempted to strip it to find its brand!). The staff were friendly but not gushy - which I like. The position is perfect with lots of good restaurants around. We ate at the hotel one night - very good menu and the food matched. Continental breakfast (which was included in the room tariff) wasn't that impressive so we ordered poached eggs on toast. When you compare the meals - value for money for dinner far outweighed the value for breakfast. My only criticism (and it's my problem), we were in a suite that overlooked the restaurant. No views outside the hotel and whenever you were in the room, you felt it necessary to draw the curtains leaving me feel a bit claustrophobic. Would I stay there again - definitely (if I could be guaranteed a room with a street view).

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room with a window facing the street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tvlerSydney
Reviewed April 27, 2014

There are so many great things about H de B that it almost seems churlish to highlight the areas of shortfall. However if these were remedied it would go from "good" to "great" overall. The in room bathroom products are just downright inadequate and it grates to have to pay to supplement their inadequacy. At the prices charged it is disappointing to pay extra for a hot breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple