Kiwi International Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Auckland(Auckland Central)
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
$153
$136
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
$139
CrownePlaza.com
  • Room Service
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$219
$162
Heritage Auckland(Auckland Central)
$190
$121
  • Restaurant
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)
$134
$128
$244
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$122
$102
Agoda.com
  • Fitness center
  • Free Internet
Stamford Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
$188
$127
  • Restaurant
All reviewssingle roomk roadtravel deskupper queen streetbasic hotelairport busplace to sleeprooms are smallwithin walking distancesky towertea and coffeeshort stayfirst stoppleasant staynew zealandconvenient locationcity centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Absolutely worst hotel. Bathroom floor was metallic and freezing even in summers. The bed had few hair strands and looked like no one bothered to change the sheets after last guests left. Called reception and was told - "Our cleaning people change it after every checkout". No offer to remake the bed or even check it!! The t.v. was a 14 inch disaster which kept on loosing channels. The lift made a creaking noise before closing and opening! The hostels and the B&Bs offer better value for money than this hotel! It is bringing shame to country by having a Kiwi word in its name!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Are you sure you have the right place? All our TVs are modern 22" LCDs. All our bathrooms are tiled as are most other hotels. This review is seriously at odds with the many reviews from our other satisfied guests.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Amazing staff, super friendly, help- and thoughtful. 100 MB+ wifi per day for free.
Rooms are basic and very clean. You will get best rates and they handle bookings
with great flexibility and customer friendliness!
As I just moved to Akld and didn't have an apartment, Kiwi Intl. Hotel staff helped
me with useful information and even supported me in matters of NZ bureaucracy.
Especially Erik with his contagious positive attitude was big time help!
I highly recommend Kiwi Intl. either for short or long term stay.
Thanks to the Kiwi Intl. Hotel staff, you made it easy to find my feet here in Akld.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter e.g. room 171
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Many thanks for your positive review and tips for other travellers. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay and that our staff were able to assist you.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I had booked my room using the hotel's website and the reason why I chose this hotel was due to the fact that it was near a bus stop that I needed to be picked up from to start a tour. I arrived at this hotel from the Auckland airport using the Airbus Express and took the bus that would enter Auckland via Dominion Rd. (not the Mt. Eden bus - they have two different routes) and it was at the first stop off of the bus. The hotel is directly on Queen St. and it was a perfect location since it was near a Westpac bank (an ATM that Bank of America customers can use with no extra charges). Inside of the hotel, there is a restaurant and a travel center but I did not use either of these during my stay. This hotel is actually as hostel since there are dorm rooms available for a lower rate.

I checked in and it took no time at all to get my room. I had chosen a single ensuite room instead of sharing a dorm room because I had a long flight and all I wanted to do was repack my bags and shower in my own bathroom. The room itself was small but very functional. I only had a backpack and a small carry-on suitcase and there was enough room for me to work with my bags. The room and bathroom were very clean and there were even towels and soap supplied. There also was a percolator along with tea and coffee on the tiny desk but I didn't use any of it. The hotel's Wi-Fi was also very fast.

The two things I would say that bothered me most about the room would be that the room did not get very warm and that there was only one outlet that I found that it was high up and away from the bed. I tend to prefer at least one outlet near my bedside so that my cellphone could be near me since I use it as an alarm. The outlet was also a New Zealand/Australian outlet only so remember to pack your converter.

There was a radiator heater in the corner and although I had it on the entire time I was there, it never got warm enough. I think that the windows not being able to be very closed did contribute to this fact. The fact that the window were also not completely secure also added to being able to hear people outside the windows when they walked by the back of the hotel.

The street that the hotel is located on is a main road through the downtown area. I walked straight down the road and passed many food places and shops. At the end of the road is the ferry building and the road is mostly downhill walking towards the ferry area. I walked from the hotel to the ferry area and to Sky Tower with no issues since it was fairly easy. It was also very safe since Queen St. is also very busy at night with many people going to eat food and many tourists walking along the road with you. The hotel is set back from the main street a little but the alley area is lit by lights as you walk to it at the end of the night.

If you don't mind a little bit of walking and if you bring enough warm clothes, I definitely recommend this hotel. It's clean, safe, and they give you free Wi-Fi if you book through their website. All those things outweighed the others and if I come back to Auckland, I would book here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LilPiggyQT
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Many thanks for your comprehensive review and recommendation which we're sure fellow travellers will find useful. Just a note re 'dorm' rooms. We do not have any such rooms. There is no 'hostel' type or shared accommodation at all, no kitchen - nothing that would suit a backpacker. We are a hotel at the value end of the market. We do however have some economy rooms that have a shared bathroom but these are most definitely private rooms. Re the central heating - most guests don't like their rooms overheated but we do have available at reception heaters should a guest desire more heat. We look forward to hosting you again should the occasion arise.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location right in the middle of Central Auckland.

I stayed in a Economy Room with a shared bathroom. There is a sink in the room which is a great help. I was a bit nervous about the shared bathroom but they were spotlessly clean and I had no problems with this.

Staff were extremely helpful and polite.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget the Economy Rooms with a shared bathroom are brilliant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Many thanks for your review and recommendations to other travellers. We're pleased our Economy rooms worked well for you. And of course if guests want that extra bit of service most of our rooms are ensuited along with all the features you'd expect in more expensive hotels.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night en route to Tahiti. It was quite a good location. Rooms were a bit shabby but did the job. Very basic but clean. Good for a quick stopover. NeAr to express bus stop back to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013
kiwi_mark411, Owner at Kiwi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thanks for your review. Our Economy rooms are basic but of course this is reflected in their being excellent value. Most of our standard rooms however are much better appointed and provide everything the on the go traveller needs.