“Low expectations, but pleasantly surprised.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Auckland

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mercure Auckland
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland
“Low expectations, but pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Fine for the price we paid, which included a buffet breakfast on the top floor. Bathroom in serious need of upgrading. Bedroom a little dated but actually, we think it added character. It was all clean and comfortable. Amazing location in downtown Auckland. We expected a lot of noise on a Saturday night, and at times there was noise, but a double layer of windows and excellent curtains which kept out the lights meant we got a much better sleep than we’d expected. Being on the 8th floor may have helped also. Room not overly spacious, but as we were only there for sleeping, it was adequate for our needs. Staff friendly and helpful. Don’t bother with happy hour in the bar – dismal selection and we didn’t feel particularly ‘happy’ about the experience at all. If you want, go up for the views, but spend the money on a decent drink.

Overall a reasonable hotel and good value for what we paid (NZ$110 including breakfast). Clearly in need of updating/refurbishment, particularly the bathrooms. We had low expectations based on tripadvisor.com reviews, but were pleasantly surprised by cleanliness of rooms, comfort of bed and quality of windows/drapes for keeping out noise & light.

Room Tip: Higher floors are further away from noise at street level, if you're looking for a good nights s...
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FoodRocks10
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear FoodRocks10

Thank you very much for your positive comments about your recent stay at Mercure Auckland.

I was a little surprised by your experience in Attica bar, which I consider to be one of Auckland's best kept secrets but definitely more for a quiet intimate drink than otehrwise. Our new Hotel Manager evidently agrees with you regarding the selection up there and has undertaken a full-scale review of the offerings so you can expect big changes in that regard. This combined with a new exec chef who will be releasing a new menu and a soon to be appointed head barperson should make a big difference when you return.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have stayed here a few times over the years and this visit showed just how old and worn this hotel had become. The lobby area is great - spick and span and totally renovated - as is the restaurant on the top floor. But the floor I was on (level 7) was very worn as was my harbour-facing room. Very clean though - everything works and the room is comfortable. It just needs a makeover - in a major-sort of way. The bathroom was a bit depressing - large old bath and 1960's crummy tapware. The breakfast was great - really nice fresh fruit salad and good selection of bread and bakery items. First glass I picked up unfortunately still had red lipstick on the rim - so a bit more care in the kitchen would be appreciated. There was no marmite or vegemite on display - but the helpful wait staff managed to find me some - which was a nice touch. The service throughout the hotel was really good - friendly and obliging. Valet parking is a bit expensive - $45 overnight. Strangely the hotel adds 1.5% if you use a creditcard - that's a mean touch. The hotel is bang-smack in the middle of the city - right on Queen Street and a stone's throw to the harbour. The hotel's position probably compensates for the partly rundown state of the hotel. In spite of the drawbacks - I will still come back - mainly for the location and the really helpful staff. If the rooms are renovated - this hotel would be hard to beat - great potential waiting to be realized.

Room Tip: High up facing the harbour.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AbhayHamilton
Dear AbhayHamilton,

Thanks for you recent review of the Mercure Auckland.

I am especially enheartened by your comments regarding service throughout the hotel. We have a new management team who are more focused on this very important aspect of our business and you can expect further improvements in this area in the future.

The refurb is on the way. We have a couple of mock up rooms already that while not quite the final design will give you a taste of the potential you mentioned and that we are eager to realise. If you return in the near future please email me and I'll do my best to put you in one of these.

email. h1721-dm02@accor.com

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Semarang, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

This time, I would like to share my experience staying at Mercure Auckland two weeks ago. Both of me and my wife reached the hotel in the evening (around 9:00 pm) and we proceeded to the receptionist for immediate check-in. However, check-in was very slow as there was one female staff working there. She was handling check-in process and answering the phone call at the same time and I saw nobody (hotel's staff) for approx. 35 minutes.

By the time we checked-in, there were three other guests standing in front of us waiting to be serviced by the female receptionist. We had to wait for approx. 25 minutes before a male staff came out from the back office and started helping her. So, after waiting for approx. 35 minutes from our arrival, we took the elevator to our room which was located in the 11st floor.

At the minute we stepped inside the elevator, we could tell this hotel had to be renovated long time ago but the owner has not done it until now. You could clearly see broken (granite) floor in the elevator and as it took us to 11th floor, we were quite scary with its condition as it looked as old as the hotel itself. As I am writing this comment, I am laughing at myself to read the latest review that has a title “Once a grand queen now a tired old queen mother” but that's really what the guests would find in this hotel property.

Our room was located in the back as we requested a quiet room away from the elevator. Once we stepped out of the elevator, we could also clearly see that the hotel was not really in a good condition at all as you could see stained carpet, torn wallpaper, chipped walls almost in every corner etc. Once we entered our room, the room condition was slightly better (only slightly) but definitely, it was old and I believe it's time to renovate the hotel should they want to keep their guests to stay in this hotel again in the future.

To get a better description on the hotel's room, I believe future guests should read all reviews in Tripadvisor.com carefully and look at those pictures shared in this forum as they would save your time and hassles in dealing with unexpected surprises during their stays. We remember took an elevator down from their restaurant (in the top floor) that evening and we were really surprised to find the elevator's door was opened when its floor section still 15 cm below its restaurant's floor, a condition that I would never thought it could happen in Mercure hotel in New Zealand.

Usually, I was not really particular when it comes to a night stay but this property really opened up my eyes when I started finding so many things that went wrong. The only plus point I could find during our stay was its location. I did read many horrible reviews before confirming our reservation in this hotel but we both decided we would like to stay close to the harbor that evening. In my personal opinion, the hotel's owner should participate in TV program called Hotel's Hell although this particular property was really in worse condition than any hotels that had been participated in the above program.

One more tip on parking : Parking in the hotel is expensive (around NZD 40/night). If you don't mind walking, there is a (public) parking, two blocks away from the hotel, that charges a flat fee of NZD 7.50 if you enter after 7:00 pm (or 5:00 pm; please double check) and out before 6:00 am the next day. After 6:00 am, they will charge an hourly rate of NZD 3.00.

However, there is a trick if you really want to save money : After driving the whole day around Auckland, make sure you return to the hotel between 9:00 ~ 10:00 pm as you may park on the street 2 ~ 3 blocks away from Mercure Auckland. Let's say, if you arrive by 9:00 pm, you would have to buy a parking ticket for an hour (cost NZD 2) and you may park your car for free after 10:00 pm until 8:00 am the next day. I did this and I only paid NZD 2.00 for my parking instead of NZD 13.50 (7.5 + 6) as we checked-out from the hotel quarter to eight the next morning.

Room Tip: choose a room in higher floor facing the harbor as you may enjoy beautiful view
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Bambang S
Dear Bambang S,

Thank you for your extensive review of your recent stay at the Mercure Auckland. Your comments regarding the the condition of the rooms are well noted and we are awaiting the final approval from the the hotel's owners for and extensive program of refurbishment that will address the issues you have highlighted.

We are in the process of rebuilding our front office team and are increasing staffing levels to ensure that the situation you encountered at check-in is avoided in future.

We offer a 24hr valet parking service which means guests can drop off their car at the hotel and have it parked in a secure private parking garage and they can enter and exit as many times as they like. This can not be compared to your on street parking alternative which would leave you at the mercy of Auckland's hyper vigilant parking wardens who could quickly push your parking costs above the $40 we charge.

Upper Hutt, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed three nights (Fri, Sat and Sun) in a Standard (Queen Size Bed) Room. We selected this hotel purely on it's location as it is a hop, skip and a jump from Britomart (railway station). As we were arriving into Auckland on the Northern Explorer train on the Friday night and then departing on the Northern Explorer on Monday morning it was convenient.

I guess this is what the Accor Hotel Group relies on because they haven't refurbished this hotel in years. We stayed here one night back in June 2010 and it was feeling sorry for itself then, so now over four years later she needs an extreme makeover!

When we checked in I had to fill out a form which is pretty standard in any hotel you stay in and I was asked if I would like to join the Accor Hotel Loyalty Program (no charge). I said no thank you, I was then asked again if I would like to join, again I declined. I was then asked a third time if I would like to join, for the third time I said no and made sure I ticked the box on the form that said I did not want to join or receive emails. Clearly Accor do not like to take no for an answer because by the time I arrived home and checked my emails on Tuesday night, I had received three emails from them and they have joined me up to their Loyalty Program. I also had to give a credit card imprint and they 'held' NZD $50 on my Visa. I'm not sure why this was required since there is no mini-bar but I do realise it is often standard hotel procedure. Upon checking out I asked when the NZD $50 would be released and I was told within a day or two. I checked out Monday morning and as of tonight (Wednesday) there is still NZD $50 held on my card. I will give them another day or two and if it still hasn't been released then I guess I will have to contact them.

As I stated above this hotel is desperately in need of an extreme makeover - the tiles in the lift floor were loose and wobbly, the carpet throughout the hotel is worn and lumpy where it has bunched up in places, the walls have dents, scratches and missing paintwork, the hot water tap for our bathroom hand basin was difficult to turn off and dripped, the back of the remote control was held on with masking tape, and the air conditioning unit in the room was loud and clunky.

You are located right in the city centre, in the public transport hub with buses, trains and taxis literally on the doorstep. The downside of this is that on a Friday and Saturday night it is extremely noisy. We were in room 715 (7th floor) which sits at the back of the hotel so I don't know if the rooms at the front of the hotel are any quieter. On Saturday night (or should I say the wee small hours of Sunday morning) the taxi drivers like to toot their horns to each other - it sounded like they were having some sort of game which went on until about 3.30am. Thankfully Sunday night was fairly quiet and we managed to get a reasonable nights sleep.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant and thought the price of breakfast was extortionate (Continental was NZD $29 pp and Full Breakfast was NZD $32 pp). I recommend you go to The Coffee Club which is just across the road where there is plenty to choose from at much cheaper prices. So when you exit the hotel, turn left and walk down to the traffic lights and cross the road diagonally.

If you choose to stay at this hotel don't have high expectations as you will be majorly disappointed.

Rooms
1 Thank Lara F
Dear Lara F,

Our Le Club Loyalty program is very popular and members enjoy tangible benefits that can be redeemed in any of Accor's over 4000 hotels worldwide. Even so I apologise for the the team's over exuberance in trying to get you to join. I'd agree that being asked three times does seem to be a bit over the top. We had recently changed the opt 'out box' to an 'opt in' tick box so that may explain the mix up over you being signed up however the email you received is a validation email and membership is not activated until this email is replied to. All data from none validated memberships is erased after a set cooling off period.

As you noted a credit card pre-authorisation is standard practise in most hotels and cover all eventual incidental charges of which mini-bar is just one.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

The first room we checked into was very shabby with an aircon unit that looked like it was installed in the 70's and made a clicking noise every few seconds even when it was off. Thankfully, they had put us in the wrong room (double bed and single bed) and we were relocated to correct one (queen bed). The staff couldn't explain why we were put in that room but were very apologetic for the mix up.

Our new room was a bit better but still very outdated in every aspect. The TV didn't work properly, the bathroom was dirty (grout and corners), we could smell the neighbours 'odours' through the exhaust (the hole in the roof) when they went to the bathroom and had to get our keys re-keyed a few times because they stopped working in our door.

Some positives from our experience - the staff were always kind and helpful, the restaurant on the top floor Vue Restaurant was amazing and the hotel is quite close to everything we needed in the cbd.

I would stay here again however I wouldn't pay $110/night.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greentrees321
Dear greentrees321,

The major upgrade is coming and believe me nobody is more looking forward to it than the team here at Mercure Auckland. We're currently rebuilding the Front Office team and we have been pleased with the many positive comments we've been getting recently and thank you for noting that. We have more good people starting soon and are increasing our staffing levels so expect the service to only get better.

I'm concerned about the 'odours' you sensed from the room next door and if you can remember your room number I'd appreciate it if you would contact me so I can get maintenance to sort it out.

email: h1721-dm02@accor.com
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was booked for me and we stayed there for three nights. In a word OLD. The, rooms, air-con units, fittings, plumbing, decor.... It's all the same. Once was very nice now just tired and worn. Our bathroom sink was blocked, the air con was as loud as a tank, the door look kept sticking, the swipe card in elevator kept playing up. The list could go on. On a positive note it is situated in a lovely and convenient location and has very friendly staff but I would not stay here again. Not good value for money including the excessive $40 a night parking fee. Better options available near bye.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edward N
Dear Ed N,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay at Mercure Auckland. I'm glad you found the staff friendly and helpful and they will be please to hear it.

The hotel is indeed old and definitely due for a full refurbishment, work has started on the 2nd floor and when that is completed a full renovation will begin from the 12th floor down.

I have reviewed our valet parking costs and have not found a hotel nearby, or a public carpark that offers a similar service cheaper. In addition we have increased the staffing levels in the porter/valet area and expect to make large gains in efficiency.