“Small rooms but center of town” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Auckland

Mercure Auckland
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Rotorua
“Small rooms but center of town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

The worst food anywhere for a long time. $16 for a miniscule polenta cake with the smallest mushroom 8 existence. If it had a wow taste factor you could e forgiven. Fire the chef I say. The accompanying burger was half done with half melted cheese. Where do you find these sort of chefs?!?

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Wanda22Rotorua
MercureAKL, Executive Chef at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Wanda22Rotorua

Thank you for your recent tripadvisor posting. We recently changed our winter menu and some changes are yet to be made. I am personally concerned about the size of the polenta cake dish and will ensure to rectify this immediately along with the note about the beef burger. Please accept both my personal apologies along with my kithchen team.

Gaston Phillipens
Executive Chef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

The Mercure Auckland offers one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever experienced - and don't bother complaining to staff or management during your stay - they are simply not interested. I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to management sent during our stay.

We were a late arrival (approx 1.30am). The night manager was disinterested, couldn't find our booking, suggested we may be at the wrong hotel and then found our booking on the piece of paper in his left hand. Ordered room service at 1.37pm - at 2.45am we cancelled the order (soup and bread - as none of the other menu choices were available) as we, shock horror, wanted to go to sleep. Around 3am the phone rang and we were advised that our room service was now ready and that it was on the way up to the room. "But I cancelled that order and you've just woken me up," I said to the man on the person. "Oh sorry - but your food is ready now and it will be at your room in a minute." Ten minutes later it arrives (yes, had fallen asleep again by that stage). We should have just sent it away - but instead took it and ate the bread as the soup was inedible.

By this stage, we were very worried that we would sleep through alarms and booked a wake up call for 7am (in a few hours time). At 8am, I phoned downstairs to advise we had not received the call - and were told "it's not my fault it was on the list". A few minutes later, the phone rang again - it was the wake up call. Upon questioning reception about the claim that it was not on the list, we were told it was there for 8.07am. Can't help but feel the staff were making their own fun that morning.

Running late for our business day, we race up to the restaurant for breakfast only to be told that breakfast wasn't included in our package and we would have to sign for the charges. The staff member was adamant.

I suggested she ring down to reception to check the package - where she engaged in a private conversation with staff and then proceeded to take their coffee orders whilst waving us away from her desk, like an annoyed mother. We seated ourselves and tried to attract the attention of another staff member to order an espresso coffee but were not successful. At 8.30am, the buffet needed replenishing and there were not enough juice glasses.

When we checked out - the breakfast charges were still on the bill.

These are just a couple of examples of our experiences over the past four days. Others include - old and dated rooms, stained carpet, limited amenities, no mini bar refresh for two days, broken air conditioning/heating switch, no water pressure in the shower and an overflowing toilet in one of the rooms (we booked two rooms), building lifts not working, stopping on nearly every floor in the one working lift to share it with staff and the list goes on.

But the biggest bug bear - internet. They advertise it as high speed - it is not, plus there's no wifi in the rooms. The cable is an absolute rip off and only offers you partial usage for a fee of $30 before it charges you per Mb for further use. When we queried reception about its speed and ineffectiveness, we were told "Yeh I know it sucks - we are trying to get out of that contract, it's really bad but hey it's a third party supplier so there's nothing we can do". The speed is so slow that it took more than 3 minutes to load a Facebook page.

Out of all of the places you have to stay in Auckland (and there are many) - this is the ABSOLUTE LAST PLACE you want to stay. Don't waste your money and put yourself through the stress of it all. And if you do ignore this advice, don't bother wasting your time writing a letter of feedback - it will go ignored - and don't tell the staff because they don't care either - one of them told us to just put it on TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel - there is nothing good to say here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Susan S
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Susan S

Thank you for your detailed feedback relating to your stay at The Mercure Auckland Hotel. I am disappointed in that overall we caused a number of issues during your stay and your valuable feedback will assist in us a number of improvement service areas. May I kindly ask for you to contact me on 09 377 8920 if you wish to further personall discuss this. Thank you again.

Operations Manager - Rooms

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was a little bit concerned, having read some of the previous reviews. We bought our night as a Grabone mystery hotel. The price was excellent, but I don't think I would stay here if I had to pay any more than I did. The room was nice and clean, but the beds were not comfortable at all. The restaurant has a good view over the harbour, but the breakfast was very dissapointing. Tasteless "scrambled eggs", tasteless processed "sausage", greasy bacon, tinned fruit, and no mushrooms!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear CR11

Thank you for your recent feedback relating to your stay at The Mercure Auckland Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. Thank you as well for the feedback relating some areas that we need improvement in.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Old shoddy building, very outdated. Entrance is nice (deceiving)
Bathrooms are dingy, stain marks, my colleague upgraded to suite and the shower had the old tin/metal flooring!
No wifi at all which is very poor this day and age, Ethernet network is $30 for 24 hours and only up to 209mb which is major rip off. Most hotels are free wifi these days I don't expect to pay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank krtnz
MercureAKL, Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear krtnz

Thank you for your feedback relating to The Mercure Auckland Hotel. Please accept my personal apologies you felt the room was not up to standard during your stay. I accept and acknowledge that the internet needs some changing, this is something we are looking at with our internet provider in order to provide a better internet service to our guests.