“Is this really the standard of a Mercure Hotel???”
Review of Mercure Auckland

Mercure Auckland
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Is this really the standard of a Mercure Hotel???”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Firstly I chose this Hotel based upon location and brand name.

Having been a member of Accor, I am familiar with the different service offerings of the Accor Hotels and certainly expected that whilst Mercure is not a Sofitel...it certainly was not below an Ibis Styles.

Firstly, when I arrived at the Hotel reception, no one was available to check me in - the Service person sighted me whilst he was outside moving cars and said he'd be 5 minutes. When he had finished moving cars checkin was quick...my room was on the 9th floor. The foyer to the Hotel is modern.

Exiting the lift on the 9th floor was like I had stepped out of a time machine..but back in time some 25 years...the carpet / decor / walls looked very old.

Upon entering my room, I was really surprised at what I had found..chipped paint work everywhere, no valance on the two single beds bases pushed together to make a queen bed, air conditioning that came from a large old unit built into the wall ledge near the window. The air conditioning was very noisy on low.

By way of example as to how old this room fitout was, the sink plug had a chain on it...I had not seen one of these for a very long time.

Also, no WIFI available in room (only wired internet) - told that WIFI was available in the Bar/Restaurant area - 30 mins for free (there was a data limit...can't recall what that was).

Positives:

- Bar and restaurant area modern
- Bar staff very friendly (I did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment)
- Bar food was very good
- Location - excellent

A refit and this Hotel would truly fit the Mercure standard.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Surrey
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were fortunate when we checked in for our 2 night stay as without any request we were "upgraded" to a room on the 11th floor with wonderful views over the harbour and beyond. As previous reviews have stated the decor is a little tired but our room was clean and more than adequate for our needs. The hotel is very centrally located, close to the shopping centre and bus routes and Auckland is a nice city with lots to see. We were given a resume of what was going on during the weekend we were there and how to reach the venues by bus by the Tourist information office. Bus travel is cheap and easy to fathom out. We ate simply at Brew on the Quay which was an easy walk from the hotel and the food was good with a large choice of beers at reasonable prices for New Zealand. Service was good and the staff were very friendly both in the hotel and at Brew on the Quay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour and a higher floor which improves the view and will be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel, despite large placards in the lobby, doesn't recognise Le Club Gold - zero benefits at this property, extremely noisy, and very dated. One night was too many.
They clearly bank on the location but I'd walk a kilometer before staying in this place again.

Room Tip: Don't book here to start with.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SmartTravellerAus

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before our cruise. View from room was great, was able to see cruise ship coming into dock. Room was clean and tidy, had dinner in the restaurant which we found to be rather expensive. Location was brilliant, within walking distance of where we wanted to go. Would definitely stay here again due to location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thornbury
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here five nights on business Feb 2014 room 802.

Location is probably the best in Auckland, if being in the tourist central ferry terminal area is useful to you. Queen Street - main shopping strip - starts here.

Mercure is also immediately adjacent to Britomart rail and bus terminals, so if you need to use public transport to get anywhere, this is where you'd want to be staying.

The hotel itself is more like a vertical motel than a city "hotel". The furniture and fittings in the room are end-of-life, with chips and dents.

The biggest problem from my perspective was the room bar fridge, which was dead on arrival. I aways go to a local delicatessen, buy healthy choice food, remove the hotel's alcohol, "high-energy" drinks and other junk food from the fridge and put my own stuff in there. Including milk and yoghurt. So my milk and yoghurt was totally spoiled the next morning. Seems like this might be a health and safety issue for hotels, not being able to refrigerate food safely.

All hotel bar fridges are pretty useless, but this one was total crap. Not good enough. I'm your customer, not a paying hotel quality assurance inspector. That's your job, Mercure, not mine.

The room was just big enough, bed comfortable. Housekeeping adequate. No problems with elevators. The room air conditioner was barely adequate, Auckland doesn't worry too much about air conditioning in Summer, I gather. They're more concerned with staying warm when it's cold.

Room 802 faces away from the harbour, and was just down the street from a strip club, which occasionally created a bit of noise late at night (motorcycles revving up with drunken hoons yelling) but nothing intolerable by my fairly tolerant standards. It's a city.

If I was paying, not my employer, I'd consider staying here. I don't know what the daily room rate was, but the proximity of the hotel to the docks where massive cruise ships stay when in Auckland means that when the boats are in harbour, this hotel is 100 percent occupancy. Room rates correspondingly high.

I don't know why people go on boat cruises. It's an expensive way to be bored. But I certainly don't understand why people move off their cruise boat - where they've got a perfectly good hotel room for the duration of their cruise that they've already paid for - to stay in a hotel immediately adjacent to the boat. This hotel room would not have been any bigger than the accomodation on a big cruise boat. Go figure. Maybe the cruise boats get a discount on hotel rooms. Maybe people get sea sick and want to sleep on a bed that doesn't move about. Please explain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Shortly after I checked in, a housekeeper entered my room without knocking. I was undressing to take a shower. Standing there in my underwear, I asked her to leave. Instead of apologizing and leaving immediately, she said she wanted to put some items in the refrigerator. I said, twice, 'maybe later!' She finally left. I felt violated and intruded upon. If she'd come 30 seconds later, she'd have been presented with the holy vision of me standing naked in the room. Hotel manager not terribly sympathetic, offered me a minimal rebate on one of three night's charges, a free breakfast and a couple of drink vouchers, the food an drink being of no interest to me. The hotel has a nice lobby, but not much else going for it. The room's door had a damaged frame, as if it had been forced open with a crowbar at some time. The bathroom door had damaged and peeling paint along its edges. The toilet had a 1930's style flush lever with no variable flush capability (only one of two I encountered in New Zealand during a month's stay). The shower door covered half of the shower enclosure, and swung outward, making it entirely possible to leak water all over the floor. The internet service was so expensive, I decided to do without. I've had much better accommodations at other hotels in Auckland for much lower prices.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Philip D
Ireland
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent two nights here First - the good bits. All of the staff were extremely pleasant, polite and helpful. The bar and restaurant was fabulous...stunning views and good food. This and the foyer of the hotel looked as though it had been recently renovated. Now to the rooms....absolutely horrific experience...the carpet was shabby, worn and lumpy. TV didn't work...the remotes didn't work. There was no prices for the mini bar...which could potentially lead you to believe it was complimentary...the red wine and snacks were stocked with the tea and coffee and the milk was in the fridge with the beers...too misleading.. . the tea, coffee and milk was complimentary but not the rest. We checked this at Reception. By far the worst part of the room was the windows....held together with duct tape and no security barriers. The secondary glass was not double glazed. Therefore we could hear conversations on the street nine floors below! Constant noise, traffic racing and people shouting. At 0300am and showing no sign of stopping we went back to Reception to ask for a different room for our second night. We were given a room harbour side...and the difference in noise was amazing. It was still muffled but so much better. All in all the rooms - in particular the windows and glazing need to be brought up to date. Staying in an airport hotel is quieter!

• Stayed February 2014