Firstly I chose this Hotel based upon location and brand name.
Having been a member of Accor, I am familiar with the different service offerings of the Accor Hotels and certainly expected that whilst Mercure is not a Sofitel...it certainly was not below an Ibis Styles.
Firstly, when I arrived at the Hotel reception, no one was available to check me in - the Service person sighted me whilst he was outside moving cars and said he'd be 5 minutes. When he had finished moving cars checkin was quick...my room was on the 9th floor. The foyer to the Hotel is modern.
Exiting the lift on the 9th floor was like I had stepped out of a time machine..but back in time some 25 years...the carpet / decor / walls looked very old.
Upon entering my room, I was really surprised at what I had found..chipped paint work everywhere, no valance on the two single beds bases pushed together to make a queen bed, air conditioning that came from a large old unit built into the wall ledge near the window. The air conditioning was very noisy on low.
By way of example as to how old this room fitout was, the sink plug had a chain on it...I had not seen one of these for a very long time.
Also, no WIFI available in room (only wired internet) - told that WIFI was available in the Bar/Restaurant area - 30 mins for free (there was a data limit...can't recall what that was).
- Bar and restaurant area modern
- Bar staff very friendly (I did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment)
- Bar food was very good
- Location - excellent
A refit and this Hotel would truly fit the Mercure standard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the picturesque Waitemata Harbour in the heart of Auckland city and located adjacent to Britomart transport centre, the hotel is an easy walk to the waterfront and the best shopping, restaurant and nightlife districts in Auckland. Mercure Hotel Auckland has conference facilities for up to 300 delegates, the Vertigo Restaurant and Bar located on the top floor offering magnificent views of the city and harbour as well as a gym and valet parking. All rooms come with broadband Internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, ACCOR, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Mercure Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Accor Hotel Auckland
- Mercure Auckland New Zealand