“I have stayed in dorm rooms nicer than this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Auckland

Mercure Auckland
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Los Angeles, California
“I have stayed in dorm rooms nicer than this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

The short version: If you want a hotel to steal your money by charging $300 for a $70 room, then stay here. Otherwise, do yourself a favor a run the other way as fast as you can.

The long version: This was the 4th Mercure property on our Australia/New Zealand trip, and it was BY FAR the worst of the bunch. Mercure seems to mean "dirty hallway carpets" in French, since every property we visited had that problem. But on to specifics with regards to this property...

The one good thing about this property is the location. It's right in the heart of the CBD. And that's where the good part ends....

Let's see, where to begin? First off, the pictures of the rooms on websites like Hotels.com are a lie. The rooms don't look like that at all. There were no bedspreads on our beds. No colorful pillows. Just a room that hasn't been fixed up since the late 70's. Cracked tile work in the bathroom and bathroom fixtures fit for the Bates Motel. The pressboard bathroom door was peeling and curling up at the bottom. And that's just for starters...dirty groutwork, worn carpets, there is no safe in the room...this hotel hit the jackpot of suckitude.

Mercure has ripping off their customers down to a science. If you would like to use WiFi, it's $10 for 2 hours of use. They give you limited free Internet access for 30 minutes if you want to hang out in the lobby. Hell, McDonald's has free WiFi access. You hear that Mercure?? McDonalds. And when you're charging $300 for a $70 room, perhaps it might be good not to tick people off even more by bleeding them for another $10. I'd rather stay at a McDonald's in the future.

They also don't like to give you toilet paper. One time, we had to call the front desk to get some more because we ran out. You know how long it took for the to come up to the room? Over an hour...not good if you know, you have an emergency or something.

Furthermore, there is A LOT of noise coming into the rooms from the street. If you enjoy curling up in bed and drifting off to sleep to the drunken shouts of Kiwi's and tourists at 2 and 3 in the morning, then this is your place. If we had stayed anywhere near the elevators, I am sure they would have added to the cacophony of drunken awesomeness.

Additionally, this crappy hotel charges $40 A NIGHT for parking. That's more than they charge in the middle of Manhattan. Another "profit center" for the bottom-line rip off mentality of Mercure Hotels. And the fantastic porters scratched our rental car pretty good. But of course the hotel isn't liable for any damage, and because we had to get to our flight, we couldn't stay and argue about the damage. Which like I said, they weren't responsible for anyway...

The staff are friendly, but if you bring up any problem to them, they get that scared look in their eyes like "Oh my God, what went wrong now?!?!" As if, you know, they deal with complaints day in and day out and management never makes any effort to fix the source of said complaints.

I can't imagine how this hotel has 4 and 5 level reviews. Perhaps Mercure often hosts conferences for the Worldwide Myopic Tourist's Convention. That would explain a lot.

It is obvious that Mercure doesn't care about this property or the quality of the stay of the guests. There are a lot of cruise tour groups that stay at this hotel. Maybe after being cramped up on a ship, this place looks like Nirvana. But to anyone else, this hotel is a hovel.

Perhaps instead of responding to the one star reviews of his crappy hotel, Edward Judd should actually try to address the many problems with this property. It needs to go on Hotel Impossible, it's that bad. I never plan on staying in a Mercure property for the rest of my life, they are so poorly run. And this hotel is in the running for the worst of the bunch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LATraveller310

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were at this hotel for one night only before we got on our cruise. We had two rooms for our large family. The hotel is conveniently located. Check-in and staff were good. We arrived late and they were helpful. Rooms were obviously old, but comfortable. We arrived at breakfast the next morning little less than an hour before it closed. Many things were out, and when we asked for more, they refused to get more. There wasn't much of a selection to begin with, but the staff were rude and very short with us. Two of our children left the buffet still hungry, as did I.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MercureAKL, General Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, February 18, 2013

I am disappointed with lack of service you received during your breakfast as we normal pride ourselves on service and selection, it appears that is this instance we have let ourselves down.

I will look in to this and make sure it does not happen again

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

On the 23rd of January 2013 I stayed at Mercure Auckland. During this stay I was attacked by fleas and was subsequently horrified at how the incident was handled by staff.

I first noticed the fleabites on the Thursday morning. I took antihistamine tablets and hoped that the symptoms and redness would subside. Over the period of the day the swelling worsened and I sought a Doctors appointment that confirmed that they were fleabites and I was suffering an allergic reaction. The bites covered my arms, shoulders, neck and face extensively.

Despite my discomfort I thought it was particularly important to inform staff so that this did not happen to someone else, in particularly a child.
The first person I spoke to at reception was friendly, approachable and showed great concern. She informed me that she ‘often’ received fleabites whilst at work at your hotel and that she ‘had a can of bug spray in her locker’ for this purpose. She stated that fleas were not uncommon at the hotel due to ‘the old carpets and mattresses’. She then offered me some bug spray for my personal use, as I was to be staying at the hotel another night. This admission shocked me that parasites such as fleas were a known and accepted problem at the establishment.

I was then referred to a Manager who attitude showed an obvious dismissal of my complaint lead me to believe that no action would be taken. He failed to locate the room I had been staying in, failed to make eye contact and was generally dismissive of my comfort. I was shocked he made absolutely no effort to rectify the situation. I felt, and still feel, that he brushed off any implication that I had genuine grounds for concern or complaint. In summary his customer service was appalling.

I think it is grossly unacceptable for no form of action to be taken, especially if flea infestation is a known problem and is acknowledged by staff. Having traveled extensively for business overseas, and having often used the Mercure Hotels internationally, this is the first time I have ever come across anything of this nature in any hotel of apparently reputable standards.

Mercure failed to look into the matter with the gravity that it deserves. Fleas are parasites and transmit not only a variety of viral, bacterial and rickettsial diseases to humans. As a proud Kiwi I would hate for visitors to New Zealand to think that this is what we view as an acceptable standard of our hotels.

In future I will not be using Accor Hotels for either business or pleasure and I will be recommending that associates, friends and family take the same action.
I expected much higher standards from the Mercure and the Accor Hotel association and am frankly disgusted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank franbran2
MercureAKL, General Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for bring this to my attention

I understand that my Front Office Manager has been in contact with you and has now resolved this matter to your satisfaction,

Please accept my personal apologies for this and I if you have any questions or you are not happy with the outcome please contact me directly on 09 377 8920

Thanks

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

new south wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great location in the Main Street. Waking distance to decent restaurants and the harbour district.
Airport transfer bus is very close, and a great service.$16. It's possible to walk from bus stop to hotel with no problem. And vice a versa.
Rooms were clean and although our room was opposite the elevator it didn't worry us, much to my surprise. We slept without being disturbed.
Taxi rank was opposite hotel .
Internet in the foyer

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MercureAKL, General Manager at Mercure Auckland, responded to this review, February 19, 2013

I’m glad to see you enjoyed the hotels location and accommodation.

I look forward welcoming you back soon

Thanks
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel has a really great location, just around the corner from the Britomart Transport Centre, and the ferry dock.

Stayed here for 4 nights and had a room over Customs Street and a view of the Sky Tower. I think if you are on the other side of the building, you will have a view of the harbour. The room rate is good, but you get what you pay for.
The hotel is pretty old and it feels dated. I also had a situation where the kettle in my room leaked. I reported it and I was promised it would be replaced. It was removed the same day but took another day for the kettle to be replace and that was only after I made a second request.

The staff is professional and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks you for your review,

I’m glad to read that your enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We are currently looking at a refresh of our rooms and hope to start this work sometime this year.

I am sorry for the delay in replacing the kettle and thank you for bringing this to my attention as this should have been replaced immediately.

Regards