“Awesome bathrooms!”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Loved my stay at the Amora. Superb location close to the central city but not on a noisy street. A quick stroll either to K Road for nightlife or to the Sky Tower etc..

Bathroom was awesome. Had bifold doors opening into the main room so you could open it up and enjoy a romantic bubblebath.

There are newer reviews for Amora Hotel Auckland

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I'll start with the good and then THE BAD (there is more bad). I paid NZ$150/night for two nights and my room was wonderful for that price. It was spotless, elegant, comfortable, large, and had a full kitchen. It had lots of windows but the view was of a street, not so inspiring, but okay. I think the location is good, but it is up a large hill from the CBD which could be tough for some to walk up. Also, there definitely are hotels closer to town and sights.

My room had a tiny aircon unit which was sufficient, and a couple of heaters which weren't needed in spring.

Overall, I felt like I could actually live in this place as a large studio apartment, it was very nice.

Now the BAD - in summary, Wifi, reception service, restaurant service, food.

Wifi - you have to pay $15 a day and you can't even use it above ground floor; I can go to a cafe and get wifi and a coffee for $3.50; or even a shopping mall and buy nothing for free wifi in Auckland; hopeless and a rip off; it definitely doesn't cost close to $15 a day for them to provide the service

Reception service - really slow and not convincing; I don't remember EVER waiting so long for reception desk service; literally 5 minutes, I don't know where the second staff member went; the man didn't suggest I purchase wifi upon arrival, so I had to come back down from my room to organise it; then he didn't do it properly, so I had to wait again, was served by someone else who said, "oh you can't purchase wifi for 2 days". There were several bewildering comments from staff on that first day, and not really much pleasure in hosting customers. Not up to scratch. However, on checkout I was served efficiently, and when I came back to collect bags from storage it all went well.

Restaurant service - clearly most of the staff had no idea how to serve in a restaurant; no insight, no enthusiasm, no questions about how everything was; it was like being served by high school students; not up to scratch. They were polite enough and reasonably quick to serve, BUT SLOW to bring the food - and I was eating alone.

Food - everywhere in NZ is expensive, but in six days staying in NZ this place had the most disappointing food; I was starving on arrival so had dinner at 5.45pm and had beef carpaccio and a chicken and spinach roll; it was worse than average; then hungry again at 9.30pm ordered room service; pork cutlet tenderloins were dry/overcooked and I really just ate to get through the experience. Not up to scratch, especially when so many meals in very small towns in NZ had been brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a Grabone voucher..accomodation,dinner and parking for $150 approx
I casually read some reviews and found the recent ones to be very damning.this caused me apprehension was was totally misplaced. Check in was smooth and the room excellent..well appointed,clean,bed comfortable. There was no sign of worn,chipped,old,or dirty
Some pretenders who have never stayed anywhere good just like to mouth off a lot of crap.
The staff in the restaurant were courtesies and attentive and the meals and drinks came promptly with the iced water topped up at least 4 times
This is an excellent hotel and very reasonably priced
Pretentious people should stay in their own homes

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
AHA2011, General Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Wayne7777,

Thanks so much for posting a review of your stay. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is quite a delight to know that there are some honest people out there who can honestly review their stay.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amora Hotel Auckland in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

To begin, there were a few things I did like: the room was quite clean, reception upon arrival was quite nice, and the location is pretty central. The size of my executive studio room was notable.

Otherwise, this experience was kind of a bust. I particularly want to address the dining situation, which was abysmal. I first went to dinner at The Grill restaurant, and the wait staff looked genuinely confused by my presence. Understandable; there was no one else in the entire restaurant at 6pm. Red flag #1.

I ordered dinner, which was mediocre at best (the 'three cheese tart' was particularly awful, which looked and tasted like it was a microwaved frozen snack. ew.) Because I was the only one there, I thought service would be stellar. I was mistaken. The wait staff, while generally nice, had no idea what to do and I was made to wait for a long period of time before each course and before getting my check.

Breakfast was not much better. It was a sad buffet, things had been left out too long, not much selection. They didn't do hot food that day so they gave me a "big breakfast" which was sort of tragic and involved soggy bread, canned mushrooms, and bacon that was mostly fat.

All of that would be understandable given the tripadvisor rating of the hotel, as mediocre as it was in person, except for the food was SO EXPENSIVE. 4.5 star prices for 2 star food. I was torn between being embarrassed for them and feeling like I was being robbed.

Another thing-- not updating hotel facilities does not make it a boutique hotel. I'm not sure where they got the idea that this was a boutique hotel. Someone needs to take them aside and let them down gently.

On a lighter note, everyone who spoke to me was very sweet and accommodating. That was pleasant.

Room Tip: I was on an upper floor, which gave me a heart attack because something is up with the lift. Yikes.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Caitlin E
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The location is a bit strange - just outside the CBD is very convenient, but opposite state flats and 200 yards from K road you see some interesting sights!!
It's all very functional, yet dated in it's decor and this continued when I got to my room - it looked fine, until you started to use stuff... the TV took a few goes to get working, while the bathroom not only had the bulb over the bath blown, but as soon as you turned the shower attachment on it blew itself off the wall, soaking you and the room!!
we seemed to have arrived on everybodies first day; the 3 or 4 waiting staff were all fussing around the 10-20 people in the restaurant meaning that each round of drinks took a while to appear.
All this said, the room rate was reasonable - we ate in the CBD and crabbed croissant on Queen St for breakfast rather than taking the exorbitant breakfast option in the hotel.
The CBD is very accessible and a walk down Queen St acts as a good workout in the morning so a very OK experience

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
AHA2011, Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

We appreciate the time you have taken for your feedback.

Sorry to hear that you had a bit of wait for your drinks, it could have been one of those days where we received too many orders at the same time. Did you mention this to our staff upon check out or at the bar? We will surely address this with the restaurant supervisors.

As for the bulb in the bathroom, perhaps our reception staff could have sent the maintenance if you would have informed us about the problem.

However we do apologize for this, and we hope we can have you stay with us in the near future.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed in the deluxe spa king room and paid $200 a night. First of all, the spa was out of order. We wernt happy about that. Then late at nite the spa in the bedroom kept making sounds it was difficult to sleep. Everything is worn, and old, chipped and peeling paint, small tv, lift was not functioning properly with a sign up saying 3 people maximum when the standard amount said 11 people. Obviously maintanence problems. When I left they did not give me a receipt. I had to go back to reception to ask for one. Ive been to Amora hotel in the past and it was never like how it is now. It looks as though that place has gone to the pack. I have been to many high class hotels and if you were to compare the amount you are paying, to the standard of the room, hotel and facilities I would not reecommend it. Unless, there is serious upgrade and maitanence done. Very disapointed... despite the problems we experienced, the service was good.

Room Tip: None at the moment until maintanence and upgrades done
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate the time you have taken to write us a feedback.

So sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. Our reception staff is available 24 hours, If you would have mentioned to our friendly staff about your spa bath making noise they would have immediately come over and had a look at it.

As for the elevators we have had issues in the past where too many people get into it along with their luggage and that causes a lot of problems, hence better to be safe than sorry we have put that notice, however we are working on getting it improved. So while the work is ongoing we have this displayed.

It is a one off incident where the reception staff did not offer you the receipt all our staff are well trained and they usually offer the guest if they want a copy of their receipt. However I do apologize that this did not happen in your case.

We hope to have you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked through a grabone special for a night in Auckland for our anniversary. The deal included deluxe spa, bubbles, chocolates and breakfast with a late checkout.
My husband forgot to book the room a day out from heading to Auckland, on phoning we were given the option to upgrade our room to an Executive room as deluxe spa were no longer available.
It was truly disappointing. The whole place is tired and In need of updating.
Our bathroom was not cleaned properly and the spa bath was a joke only room for a single person. The bubbles was a cheap bottle of Lindaur with a bar of chocolate totally not one would expect.
Breakfast was good, a full English breakfast provided and the service was friendly and efficient. The dining area to me was way too cramped. We were pleased that we took the initiative the night before to go into the city to have dinner as we felt with what we had observed we would have been disappointed had we stayed at the Amora to dine.
We gave feedback and requested that they contact us to discuss the feedback however, a week later we have not heard from them.
We would not return to this particular hotel.

Room Tip: Do not choose an Executive suite it is not worth the $s.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple