We stayed in the Deluxe King Spa room (#515) just last night. Thought I'd divide this review up by the good/bad/ugly. Here we go!
1) The hotel can be booked via the Entertainment Book, providing savings and a really easy booking.
2) The hotel does not charge any credit card fees, which are becoming more and more popular at hotels now.
3) Location was close enough to Queen street, but still on a quiet(ish) pretty tree-lined street.
4) Also within easy walking distance to/from the airport bus.
5) Deluxe King Spa room is quite spacious, and includes a table, a loveseat, a King bed w/two nightstands, wardrobe (w/2 robes), desk area, kitchenette complete with sink, stove and microwave and a washing machine.
1) The reception employees are incredibly slow and/or inefficient. Checking in/out took ages, and any time there were more than 2 people in line ahead of us at the desk, we easily waited 10-15 minutes.
2) There are no safes in the rooms. The info book in the room stated that personal items in your room are left there "at your own risk", and that safety deposit boxes are available at the front desk. After a long wait, we discovered the box is long and thin - and would not fit one ipad, nevermind 2 of them. Forget securing a laptop. In the end, they did put our items in the hotel safe, but that is not ideal.
3) The bed was ok, but just for one night. If my husband wanted to sleep anywhere near me, though, the mattress would put me in a diagonal position (i.e. it sagged in the middle). And he is skinny!
4) An alarm clock was not provided. Perhaps this is a new thing that hotels don't provide? In any case, bring your own alarm (i.e. phone etc) or ask for a wakeup call.
5) The room comes with a lovely spa bath, but it doubles as the shower too. The showerhead is very close to the wall, and coupled with the deep slope of the tub, makes it very difficult to actually get under the water. There was a constant fear of slipping!
6) The wall between the shower/tub and the bedroom opens up with a shutter. The shutter is not attached to the opening on the top or bottom - just the edge, so it doesn't really stay in place. Very little privacy when going to the toilet! (But nice if you want to watch a movie while taking a bath).
7) The hairdryer is in a drawer in the desk area under the TV. It is plugged into the wall there, and cannot be moved. The bathroom only has a plug for shavers, anyway!
1) There is no extraction fan in the bathroom that is controllable. I did see a vent above the shower, but it doesn't help 'clear the air' (if you know what I mean). Bring some air freshener!
2) All of the Deluxe King Spa rooms face the park behind the hotel. I thought this was lovely until I asked if the park was safe to walk through at night. The gentleman checking us in said "uh..yeah, until midnight. Then it gets rowdy.". Rowdy, you say? "Yeah, with all the teenagers partying." O-K...and the noise...will we hear it in our room? "You should be fine." We were, but only because we turned on the mondo air conditioning unit in the room. Couldn't hear anything over that!
Also note there appears to be a creche just behind the hotel as well.
3) The doors are paper thin, and voices carry down the hallways. Ask to stay away from the elevator.
4) Coming back to the hotel around 11pm last night, we heard some VERY loud music and partying. Turns out it was *in* the hotel - the function room, perhaps? I feel bad for anyone who was staying anywhere near that room.
We didn't eat in the restaurant, use the pool or the internet. Overall, the room was useful, but we'll look for another place to stay next time we go to a show in Auckland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Amora Hotel Auckland welcomes you to our oasis of calm in central Auckland. Tranquil views above peaceful Myers Park, tree-lined Greys Avenue and out over the city are yours when you stay at our luxury boutique hotel. Offering all the features and services that you would expect in a much larger hotel, the hotel focuses on the attention to detail that serves to differentiate the Amora. The Amora Hotel Auckland is ideally positioned amongst magnificent park surroundings and overlooks Myers Park in central Auckland. With its central location close to the main business district, the hotel is also ideally located within strolling distance to major shopping and entertainment areas, Sky City, New Market and Ponsonby. The Amora Hotel Auckland offers a range of rooms from Deluxe to Penthouse Suites. Classically styled and tastefully decorated, some have views over lush Myers Park and others to the city and beyond. All rooms offer a fully equipped kitchen and a private balcony. Many also feature decadent spa baths with wooden louvre shutter that open out onto the main room.Enjoy high quality, seasonally fresh New Zealand cuisine in elegant surroundings at The Grill or choose to dine al fresco on the terrace by the pool. Come to The Amora Hotel Auckland to relax and unwind, take a dip in the heated outdoor swimming pool ideally situated on the terrace overlooking Myers Park. For the more active, a workout in the hotel gymnasium might be in order, or take the advantage of the local jogging tracks in Myers Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Amora Hotel Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland Duxton Hotel
- Duxton Auckland
- Amora Hotel Auckland New Zealand