“Our Stay Was Enjoyable & Relaxing. Thank you.”

Amora Hotel Auckland
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our weekend in the city staying at Amora Hotel. I have to say reading some of the reviews on this site increased our anxiety levels (price should not always drive a accomodation purchase) BUT I want to give credit to the hotel as we had a really good sleep in a clean room and importantly to us, we found everyone tried hard to make our stay a pleasant one.
The location is convenient to Queen Street and the restaurant breakfast good though a little on the pricey side in my opinion.
One comment for the benefit of the Amora Hotel management: be pro-active and respond professionally to some of the criticism of your hotel. You deserve the opportunity as I think the Amora has a lot of potential and your staff did everything right, contrary to the experience of some guests on this site.

1  Thank 1811027Stephen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had one night in a spa room overlooking Myers park. The room was a bit tired but quite adequate for the price paid.It was a good size with room enough for you not to have to put your bags on the sofa or chairs. It was quiet, clean enough,the king size bed was appreciated and having a kitchen was great too.A well stocked fridge too.Plenty of hot water for the bath which was very relaxing. The extra blanket we requested was delivered immediately. Pity the extra blankets are made of nylon.... thats tacky! We always prefer extra blankets to using extra heating.Surely this is a more economic option. Also really appreciated the later checkout time. Have stayed here before, will stay again.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

as mentioned below my mum saw the great deal on Grabone and paid for 2 giving me a night for my special 21st birthday to spend with my partner. i called before hand to book and explained the situation that the voucher will be in my mums name but the resveration under mine, the first lady i spoke to was really rude and snappy with me but booked it fine no issues.

my mum then called a week later to explain that she was going to be leaving the country while i will be staying and offered to give her credit card details as security (they wouldnt accept my debit card) and we confirmed again about the voucher/booking aparntely this lady was very nice and helpful so i was very excited on saturday on our way to enjoy my special birthday night away.

all of that went right out the door when the surley, rude, mumbley member of staff at the counter nearly refused our booking because i didnt have the voucher printed. i was really embarassed because i didnt think to get that off mum before she left the country however i explained everything to him and showed him my booking confirmation and explained it was meant to be all sorted given it wasnt in my name. anyway he demanded i emailed him my booking confirmation (um hello it was right in front of him!) and simply quoting the voucher number wasnt good enough.

OK well finally got through that and kept positive we got to the room and its actually pretty nice the bed was comfy and i really enjoyed the spa bath, had to keep the ranchslider door closed though because the pool was right below us and you could hear kids screaming until 10pm. apart from that we noticed the room made really weird/loud noises every so often like an extractor fan would start up for a min then stop, luckily didnt do it while we were sleeping!

The next morning i called reception to confirm that we would be ok with the free breakfast seeing as my reservation had been stuffed up and what the deal was with the free bubbly. Well must have been the same a/hole that checked me in because he literally snapped at me didnt i see the wine bottle in the fridge in the room. oh yeah saw that including the mini bar fridge card which showed the stock and price of the same so forgive me for not realising without being told.

the guy who was sorting breakfast was the only happy/friendly member of staff, he explained there was a bit of a wait for a table and offered to call me at the room once we could come down so we headed back and after being gone for 7mins neither of our key cards would work! so back to the 'lovely' guy at reception who suggested i be more careful in handling the card and never offered an apology .. wow

Breakfast was pretty good im not a picky eater but even the mister enjoyed it, nice to have a little coffee canister at the table and a good selection of the continental table. we made the point to quickly pack and get out of there, despite the fact the package included at late check out.

waited about 20mins downstairs with one guy to tend to the que of people checking in/out didnt get more than a grunt except to say i still needed to email them the grabone voucher despite it being paid for, the voucher number quoted, ive already stayed, the booking was in my name, i provided my photo ID AND provided the credit card details.

never been so glad to get home i wish i had never gone it really put a dampner on the celebrations and its obvious that people who are taking advantage of a cheap deal are going to get cheap crappy service so my suggestion is to not offer discounts if you cant muster up enough energy to put on a smile for people who are PAYING you for the service.

i am never one to complain about crap service, im not picky and never say anything to staff because i know what it is like to work in customer service but i feel like its my duty to warn future customers! im sure it was because SO many people were taking advantage of the grabone deals i just hope noone elses night was spoilt.

5  Thank auckland_123456789
AHA2011, Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

On behalf of the hotel management, I would like to apologise for your unfortnate experience this weekend.Please contact me and I will organise to meet with you and get more details, as it is very important for us to make sure that our staff provide excellent customer service to all of our guests. Perhaps you can meet me for a coffee at some time and we can discuss exactly what went wrong. My contact details are:
Judy Lourens
Director of Sales New Zealand
64 9 375 1818 or dos@auckland.amorahotels.com

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Weekend away we had a great room with spa bath, friendly staff and wonderful breakfast with attentive waiter - couldn't want for much more. Everything worked, would recommend as good good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this furiously in my car as we have pulled away from this crappy excuse for a hotel. My husband and I were looking for a romantic child free 3 day weekend that was long overdue. Unfortunately we took a deal at this hotel through a Grab One website and I should of known better then to go on the cheap. The room was actually ok. The food was average and over priced. Some of the staff smiled but most of the time seemed really disinterested in their jobs or in favt anything and The Duty Manager was unhelpful and rude from the start. No one offered to help with our luggage at any time. In fact the only thing he seemed interested in was pre charging us a whole lot of money in case we 'destroyed' the room. He seemed highly suspicous and agitated with us from the get go. Little did he know both my partner and I are both parents, hard workers in the NZ TV and Film Industry and seasoned travelers as you will see from my other reviews.
What should of been a lovely stress free time ended like a nightmare. On leaving the hotel after 3 nights this same Duty Manager told us there was a stain on one of our towels that would have to be paid for. We were quite amused at this because I knew it was either the foundation from my make up on their face cloths- yes a face cloth you use to wash your face or I don't know dirt maybe? Then we remembered a friend who had visited had cut her finger and there was a handtowel which she had used to wrap around it. Her finger not her leg. The stain wasn't huge. Before we knew it he had sent one of his rude sidekicks up to the room who had grabbed all of our towels and in front of a lobby of guests pointed out all the stains of every towel and said we would have to pay immediately. I was mortified. Angry and embarrassed. Never in my travels from India to Rarotonga to New York and back have I ever come across a more vicious and mean way to treat your guests. And especially not at a 4 star hotel.Where was the respect for our privacy
and discretion? He had all our towels and hand towels and face cloths out and preceded to pick apart everything. And yes in front of everyone. They kept saying they wanted our money to pay for it so we told them to take what they wanted and check us out immediately as I will never step foot in their ever again.
It's a little over the top for them to expect towels not to get a little dirty.  Doesn't our nightly rate cover the laundering service that any hotel or motel uses?  If they don't know how to remove general usage marks from towelling material, they are in the wrong business in my view.

I am a big believer in owning up or paying up if we had done something wrong or really had ruined their linen. And we would have been quite happy to pay for damage. If there had been any!!! But there is a way to treat people who are your guests. Instead we were vilified and picked out for some reason and made to feel like
second rate citizens for no reason. No one should ever be made to feel like that I will never recommend this hotel to others as I would never want anyone to have to go through this horrible treatment. If they had a problem it's their responsibility in hospitality to deal with it fairly and with discretion. Well you won't find that there. In fact if you stupidly still decide to stay here just make sure you
take your own towels in case heaven forbid u get one dirty.

• Stayed: August 2011
7  Thank ILoveSavaai
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Room was very spacoius and clean, Tv took a bit of work to operate, staff were very friendly, easy parking, huge bed and kitchenette was well stocked, only bad point would be the walk up the hill everytime you went out, would definetly stay again,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traindriver129
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had a week here before we set off on our tour around New Zealand in a camper van.
We were very lucky to get a very special offer rate of around 120NZD via the hotels website.

We looked at other hotels in the area (knowing the waterfront pumps the price up) for around the same money and they were ex-backpaker affairs (PUKE!). We factored in that we would save a bit of money with the kitchenette cooking lunch & breakfast for ourselves and it we booked it instantly.

Upon arrival I was surprised how good it was, the bed was wonderful and the room much larger than expcted! Yes the shower leaked a bit and the view is not of the harbour but it served a purpose. (We purchased very cheap wifi from the router across the road -YHA)

That week we sourced a van and started our NZ tour, we would stay here again. But maybe not for the full price.

But I could hardly knock it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple