We stayed 2 nights in the first week of October, which coincided with one of Auckland's wettest weekends on record. We had flown directly from Houston Texas via LAX so was elated by being met by "Uncle" at the airport and delivered to Sally and Gerry at the Great Ponsonby about 40 minutes later. They had reserved us a downstairs suite on account of our excess baggage [we were starting on a 2 month tour of OZ and NZ). The welcoming pot of hot tea and cookies were exactly what we needed. Gerry is a mine of information both on local places of interest as well as more distant destinations, so be sure to run your travel plans past him. We did.
As said before, the weather was terrible with sheeting rain coming through every hour or so. The local circular bus ride "The Link" runs by the end of the street on a 20 minute basis and will take you right downtown. We found a Continental/Italian restuarant about a 20 minute walk from the B&B that could easily have been teleported right out of Paris. Excellent.
The previous gripe that also covered meal portions needs a detailed slap down. Sally cooks a gourmet hot breakfast from a menu that includes "Eggs Benedict". I suspect she would cook a double portion if asked as yes, these portions are smaller than a standard US or UK B&B breakfast. However, there are ample types of bread, toast, fruit,crumpets, juices, yogurt, mueslix etc to fill up on. We personally think a standard cooked English full breakfast is gluttonous and think the Ponsonby are on the right course.
We were lucky to meet another group of guests (Tom and Linda)with whom we could share our brief time in Auckland. This is probably another positive facet of the G Ponsonby. Its guest list. I would hazard a guess that one could always befriend another group at the B&B as they are all of a more discerning nature and have interesting backgrounds. Yes we will definitely stay at the Great Ponsonby again the next time we fly into Auckland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in a quiet, heritage, 1890's villa in the middle of cosmopolitan Auckland, just 2 minutes stroll to Ponsonby's vibrant cafes, restaurants and galleries. Fifteen minutes by eco bus, five minutes by taxi to the waterfront or a 30 minute amble through Ponsonby's interesting streets. Close to Eden Park, the Zoo and all main attractions. Qualmark 4 star+ and Enviro Gold. Breakfasts are legendary. They are cooked to order, not just left in your fridge the night before. This is a place to have fun & meet other guests.Free, unlimited wifi throughout hotel, ipod docks, all sky channels in your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Great Ponsonby Arthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Ponsonby Arthotel Hotel Auckland Central
- Great Ponsonby Arthotel Auckland, New Zealand