“A Great place to stay”

Great Ponsonby Arthotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Auckland B&B and Inns
“A Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We spent the last 2 days at the Great Ponsonby of our recent 2 week visit to Auckland for a family wedding. We were greeted by Jess who made us feel most welcome, whilst we were enjoying a pot of tea and coffee, she went through the tourist information we may need eg: the link buses, good places to eat etc. Our breakfasts were sumptuous cooked by Jess, she made the best hollandaise sauce. Gerry and Sally have a wonderful establishment, they have created a delightful warm atmosphere to stay with all the special touches, including the ECO products, a traveler may need especially the umbrellas outside the room which were put to good use. The location is superb, if the weather had been fine we could have walked into the city but alas the rain prevailed so the link buses were put to good use.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

Our stay in Great Ponsonby Art Hotel was magnificent! From where should I start? The room was smart and colorfully decorated, very clean, with a kitchen and a lovely bathroom, and you could simply find anything you can think of. Iron, sky tv, ipod, dvd, full supplies for the kitchen and the bathroom, electric blankets etc. Their breakfast were fantastic, we had many cooked choices and also a rich bar with cereals, fruits, bread, honey. I couldn’t wait to have a cooked breakfast every morning!! I also have to mention that the service, the staff and the hosts –Sally & Gerry- are wonderful and very helpful! A few more reasons to choose this hotel is that it’s centrally located, and at the same time very quiet with a lovely garden so you don’t feel you ‘re in the heart of the city. I totally recommend it if you visit New Zealand, you ‘re going to love it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

The description of the hotel sounded interesting, but I was delighted to find that it was much more than that. The GPA has a special personality which is relaxed yet sophisticated enough to lift it out of the B&B category. Food was excellent as was staff interaction with guests. I was impressed that many of the guests were return visitors, and they were greeted almost as old friends. The place is friendly, the owners are extremely helpful, and yet there was never anything at all invasive about interaction. The location is superb - walking to bus and restaurants was no more than 5 minutes. Really, we had a wonderful stay and will definitely return on our next trip.

Room Tip: The outside rooms look great, and the 2 penthouse rooms are spacious and have views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We have stayed in many of the hotels in Auckland and this B&B is by far the best value for money. The rooms are wonderful peaceful havens filled with Pacific and Kiwi art. Its relaxing, spotlessly clean and an utter delight to stay in. The breakfasts are divine with great coffee. The hotel uses eco products even down to the superb furniture coverings! It caters for everyone from business to families and people traveling alone. It is also very close to the cool restaurants and boutiques of Ponsonby. The hosts Sally, Gerry and the staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is memorable. It is well worth a visit.
Gabrielle

Room Tip: All the rooms are sunny and lovely. The penthouse was really nice with a view that looks out over Po...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabrielle H
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

A wonderful place to stay during the World Cup. My room had a real New Zealand feel. It was not big but had everything in it I could think of. It paintings and a Pacific Island tapacloth on the walls and I think all the rooms may have them as well. It had a beautiful blue tiled bathroom. I could watch games in my room as they have all the sky channels or I could play my ipod and listen to it in bed. Every day I had a different breakfast with fresh fruit and juice. I didn’t have a lot of breakfasts in NZ but these were the best.

The service was amazing, as I wanted another ticket so Gerry drove me to Eden Park and I was able to get one. This would have been difficult to do on my own. They even supplied a plastic poncho which was very necessary in the Auckland rain and when I arrived I was given a beautiful All Blacks key ring as a gift. It was fun too joining the crowds on the fan walk right from the hotel to Eden Park. Bands played along the route & the crowd really got into the spirit of things.

I met all sorts of interesting people there. There is a laptop with free wifi in the sitting room which was unexpected as were the daily newspapers. The colour and the art are just amazing.

There is a tranquil garden where the birds are fed every morning. It is surprising to find it so green and quiet in the middle of a city. Next door is a park with a gate to it so we spent time playing rugby passing with the local people.

Ponsonby is full of restaurants and cafes and by bus to downtown is about ten minutes away. I liked Auckland so much I spent over a week there so ran out of time and Gerry organised an amazing trip for me to the South Island to Fiordland and Queenstown where I stayed while the next game was on in Auckland & then returned to my stored bags and more fabulous breakfasts.

Sally & Gerry and Rehana and all the staff the are perfect hosts and I would thoroughly recommend this as a place to stay.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

When we booked this there was little choice in Auckland for the Rugby world cup. This price per night was typical of a greedy number of B and B and hotel owners who were hoping to cash into the event and fleece overseas visitors to the city. So pleasing to find that the other NZ cities where the games were held kept their prices down.
This would have been a reasonable B and B at the normal price of $210 with a good freshly cooked breakfast , friendly staff and characterful buiding in a pleasant district.
Intereasting to see the place had only 50% occupancy during our stay and the owner was offering rooms for $300 for last minute bookers. Clearly the greed had'nt paid off. This was a B and B which sells itself on the ethical eco-friendly ticket. Pity the owner doesn't have ethical standards regarding giving his customers a fair deal. My only regret is booking it in the first place

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank msykes
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

"Bill Clinton should have stayed here, I'll tell him this afternoon", reads a year 2000 guest book entry by East Timor President Jose Ramos Horta. Right he is, and so should you, budget permitting. Few places make it more difficult to leave in the morning and such a pleasure to come back at night than Ponsonby's great art hotel bed&breakfast. Only a few meters off the main street in hip and trendy Ponsonby, Auckland, Gerard Hill (Gerry) and Sally James have created a true home away from home, a cosy, friendly sustainability haven.

Read the whole review on the sustainable futures blog > http://wp.me/pJ3qo-Bq