“Great Budget Hostel”

Brown Kiwi Backpacker Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Great Budget Hostel”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My Wife and I stayed in the Brown Kiwi from 4 weeks in November & December 2013.
The whole set up is to a very high standard and ideal for any backpacker or traveller looking for a cheap place to stay either short or long term.
Hannes and the team are all extremely helpful and create a very homely environment.
The location is ideal, Ponsonby is arguably the nicest district in Auckland and certainly the trendiest.
Would recommend to all and when we return to Auckland will certainly be staying here.

Room Tip: Call and book before arrival as they are often full during summer
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank curtisjoe83

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have been there for a couple of times.
It's a lovely, tidy, small Backpackers in Auckland's most beautiful district.
It always felt homelike, the stuff is super nice and helpful and takes care of everyone and everything!
Super recommendable! I would always come back to the BK.

Naomi

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Naomi S
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hostel is extremely busy, always people coming and going but has a great atmosphere and really friendly. When we stayed they were very busy but have a emergency room which is called the hobbit room and its in the attic above the reception area. This has a double bed and a little table. You cannot stand up straight in the room and you have to climb a step ladder. But it is kinda cute and an experience and suited our needs. (oh and slightly cheaper too). We stayed in this room for 3 nights with no problem. The reception opens at 8am (a good morning call). The hostel has everything you need and is clean and slightly untidy (but has character :) )

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren W
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for 3 weeks at The Brown Kiwi, it was the reason we stayed 3 weeks in Auckland! It was cozy, friendly and so close to town, transport, shops. The staff are so helpful and accomodating! The garden out the back is so lovely too, unfortunately we were there when it was chilly, we´ll have to come back in summer to enjoy it! Big thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: The single rooms inside the house are lovely! I also really recommend the 4 bed girls dorm-Botticell...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaxMahoney
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hostel after I found myself with a couple of spare days in Auckland and I'm so glad I did. I found most people in nz pretty friendly but the guys at the brown kiwi really went that extra mile and for a solo traveller that's always a bonus. The rooms were cleaner than most other hostels I've stayed at and the outdoor area was really nice and relaxing. Great value, cool times. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Harrysalzburg
Reviewed August 11, 2013

NOTE: I have stayed at brown kiwi before amd thoroughly enjoyed it cleanliness no but other than that it was great but this second time round I have made sure I wont return.

Hi there adriane I just wanted to pass on some feedback in regards. To one of your staff members upon my husbands arrival the young lad you have working for you questioned my husband in regards to the male in my profile picture and stated its not him. As if to say I was with another man just for his reference the male in my profile picture is my father. Now past that I didnt like the way he treated me. There was an incident where my daughter could not turn the tap off and I was asleep sick in bed and this caused a flood on the floor in the bathroom and out towards the kitchen area. No serious issue was cleaned up very fast as the area was not carpetted I was very fast at responding once I had seen and realised what had happend and he approached me as if I were stupid and I asked by any chance do you have acces to a broom or a mop to be able to clear the water faster. And he said take the towel put it on the ground amd clear the water you have to use your hands what have you never done this before. To which I replied im from christchurch ive had to deal with earthquakes and floods on a regular basis. He was very unfriendly. There was a simple mistake made and there was also something wrong with the upstairs water. He also asked me what time I was leaving in the morning I said to him. I will speak with adriane as we will be here for another week. To which he responded what but the room is already booked. So I organised imediate accomodation for elsewhere and did not want to return. The following morning came and he was banging at the door. Before 10am. And he asked us to hurry up I spoke respectfully and said just a moment. I kept the door closed while I was getting dressed to whicb he came back amd knocked and told me the time. And said hurry up we have guests who need the room and so I opened the door and said to him would you like to come im here and do it for me and wake up my 3 year old daughter while you are at it and he came up close to the door and said dont speak to me like that and some other words I cant clearly remember to which I replied well can you please just have some respect and then I closed the door and he said dont close the door on my nose I will call the police. And carried on after I closed the door I closef the door for the safety of both myself and your staff member involved. I dont like to get angry with people but already the day before he had belittled me and made me feel incable to carry out regular duties with also saying that the house cleaner went on strike because of the mess in the kitchen now I had kept strong thought to the fact that you had requested in a message you wanted tidy house guests. So I stuck to my end of the bargain biut everytime I came to the kitchen I was doing someone elses dishes and the alcohol and friends that were there for the russians I gave up cleaninhg their mess and putting their food back in the fridge im not their mum. I finished up and was done by 10.30 and sent my husband to get the key bond. Also having forgot some food in the fridge we returned in the evening to collect it and we found there were no houseguests in the room we were soooooo badly needed to get out of so i would love to know where the urgency to remidy the room came from when the guests were never there to begin with. To ad to my hell Furthermore prior to this incident on almost a daily basis. We had someone either knocking on the door or at the window and one morning I woke up to the short woman peering through the glass door I sat up and she looked stunned so she walked a little further then she seen the mouldy curtain out the window and pushed it back in and my daughter opened the curtain and looked at her and she was again stunned and walked away. The reason the curtai was out the window in the first place was because my daughter was very unwell with croup bordering onto pnuemonia and I had to be sure to keep her safe so I done the best I could with the avaliability and money we had. Now past all of that on air bnb. You have your rooms advertised for a mere 200 per week. And we were charged 350. I just wanted to query on why this is amd how it came about. Thats all thank you for your time in reading my message. And im sorry for any complaints I have really enjoyed staying at the brown kiwi but after the experience I had I dont thjnk I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
niels f, Owner at Brown Kiwi Backpacker Hostel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are very disappointed that Samiyah had such a bad experience at Brown Kiwi. We sincerely apologise. I have written to Samiyah directly and responded to her issues. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding and she had not confirmed her further booking. We are sorry that she was sick and there were problems with her child. Unfortunately in this industry, we cannot please everybody. We have a new vacuum cleaner for the annexe and check cleanliness regularly. This is important to us. Thank you for your feedback. Adriane
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the annexe which was fine and the long term residents downstairs were friendly, but cleanliness was lacking a bit and the placd had an "add on" feel, rather than a homely one.
Good location and friendly welcome.
We only stayed here cos verandas couldn't take us for a final night, adequate but forgettable.

• Stayed June 2013
There is very high demand for double hostel rooms in Auckland. We have taken over the lease on an apartment next to Brown Kiwi to provide additional accommodation. Unfortunately it does not have the same atmosphere as the hostel, but one couple who stayed there said it was the best room they had stayed at in a hostel in NZ. If you want a quiet room and more privacy, the annexe is ideal. If you don't, let us know and we will give you a hostel room if possible. Thank you for your feedback! Adriane