“Nice”

YHA Auckland International
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Friendly, helpful staff. Nothing special about the hostel but it is clean and in a fantastic location.
We stayed for 3 nights in a twin room with ensuite with no problems except for a little trouble with the key cards which were fixed immediately by the receptionist.
Would recommend and stay again the next time we're in Auckland.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for YHA Auckland International

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I'm an American and it was my first time in a hostel. I stayed in a room with three other girls. The location is PERFECT! Right in the center of Auckland. It's an easy walk to the ferries, museums, art galleries and bus stops. The sheets and bathroom facilities were clean. The kitchen area was spacious and had plenty of utensils to use for eating and cooking. I only spent $33 a night there, so for the price it was worth it. Now ... here are the downsides I found: I slept on a raised bunk bed that was a bit creaky and wobbly (I was afraid it might break on me). The mattress was super thin and not all that supportive (but hey, it's not the Ritz-Carlton and it was certainly better than the floor). The biggest problem was the noise. The walls are paper-thin and a bus load of high school kids unloaded to stay the night. They were slamming doors, stomping around and shouting up and down the halls until about 11pm and then started up again about 6:15am. It reminded me a little of a noisy freshman college dorm. Boy, I definitely don't wish those days back. Despite these downsides, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Katherine P
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on the start of my trip to new Zealand! The hostel it's self is pretty standard, room was ok, the toilets & shower rooms were opposite my room great if they were In order! Two showers and two toilets out of order!!! Had to go round to main toilets top of stairwell not so good if u forgot something! Staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights back in June 2012. The hostel itself was in a decent location and only a short walk into town. The other YHA is located further up the hill, which is rather steep if you also have luggage to carry! Staff at the hostel were lovely and were always full of useful tips and advice. I booked a private room, which for what I got was rather expensive. There were 2 single beds and a small bedside table and that was all. The room was rather stuffy with only a small window for ventilation. In addition I was next to a toilet which on my second night was used constantly, which lead to very little sleep! However there was always a shower free and a constant supply of warm water. Possibly one of the best showers I’ve had in a hostel. The other facilities in the hostel were good, but with a little TLC this hostel could be great. Not as good as other YHA's I've stayed in. As it is, it’s somewhere safe and warm to sleep but I chose to stay elsewhere on my subsequent visit to Auckland.

Room Tip: Avoid ones next to the bathrooms and toilets. If you are put in one of these rooms, ask to move, oth...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I turned up at YHA without a prior booking and the staff were so helpful.
I stayed in a double ensuite room which was really tidy.
Being right in the city I was surprised at how quiet it was with no noticeable traffic noise or noisy bars nearby.
The shower was awesome.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, particularly given the bubbly friendly attitude of all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

This is a typical YHA: it has well equipped, spacious kitchens, good food storage, a large communal area, laundry (expensive) etc. The beds were really comfy and the duvets lovely. It does, however feel tired and in need of some renovation, and the building was freezing.

There are not enough showers and toilets for the number of rooms and those that there are are located by the main stairwell which is a fair distance from rooms located at the other end of the wing / coridoor.

We had an issue whilst there which was that we had a leak through the ceiling into our room. It was from the toilet above and looked like wee. This wouldn't have mattered had it not been for the fact that someone had been into our room and obviously noticed it be ause they'd placed our bin under it to catch the drops. However, they'd not informed anyone of this, so by the time we'd discovered it, it was night time and we'd just put the kids to bed. We then had to drag them out of bed to move rooms, and we ended up in less good rooms with much hassle. This was because the hostel were placing people who had asked for a dorm in dorms alone rather than filling up the dorms one by one. This when at night we needed a 4 bed dorm and a double it was a problem. The girl who sorted everything out for us was lovely and really helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is fine, well located near the centre, clean with helpful staff. We had a double room which was comfortable and clean. The general facilities are good and, considering it's central location, overall is good value.

There are also limited car park spaces, which in fact was the deciding factor for us to choose this venue. If you need one, make sure you book it!

We have been associated with YHA for many years and appreciate it's more conservative character with a standard you can pretty well depend on.

On this particular night we were unlucky in that there was a big overseas rugby group from Asia in. They weren't unpleasant, quite the contrary, but oh dear, the noise at night!

We had a room full of boys/young men next door who were exuberant and very noisy, the walls are thin and it was like being in the same room. In fact we did finally politely ask them to quieten down and to their great credit there was not a sound thereafter.

But outside the traffic was noisy, there were people shouting (presumably the smokos), and continual loud banter. The corridors were noisy and by 10.30pm it was like trying to sleep through Dante's inferno! It tailed off in the early hours but still throughout the night the street noises were intrusive. Sign of the times I guess.

It was a last minute booking as our flight had been postponed to the next day due to adverse weather so we thought we might have a meal in central Auckland. Sadly, Queen street is now a tatty and shabby affair. The recent facelift and Nikau palms have added nothing. It feels run down and other NZ cities put it in the shade. Admittedly, there are some nice places to visit around Auckland and around it's centre, but the centre itself is grotty.

Room Tip: Don't have one facing the roadway!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple