“Ok for one night”

Base Auckland Central Backpackers
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed in a private double room with ensuite. Price is reasonable and you obviously get what you pay for. Location is good. Ok for one night. PS! Be aware of screaming and yelling throughout the night if your staying there in the weekend. The rooms are unfortunately not very soundproof. But what to expect at this price?

Room Tip: Go for a private room if you can afford it
There are newer reviews for Base Auckland Central Backpackers

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm writing this in Auckland after my first night at Base. If you're reading this you might be looking at staying here. Don't.

It's a miserable place with no atmosphere. I came here from a great hostel in Sydney and this doesn't compare. The only plus is its central. I agree with everything most reviewers have said. I arrived very tired after an expensive cab ride and had to queue for 30 mins just to check in. I've never queued to check in in my life so I was amazed by this. They had one girl serving a queue of people back to the lifts. Nobody seemed bothered we were all waiting.

The showers are disgusting and they turn off every 10 seconds to conserve water so it's hard to get clean. I've only been here one night so far and grateful my stay is a short one! Grotty place with no care for guests, expensive wifi and rickety beds. They should tear it down.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had read many reviews of this hostel before deciding on booking. I had read both good and bad. All i can say is that for my experience it was better than I have had in hotels in the city which I paid 2-4 times the amount for.

My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 nights in a private ensuite room (no window). When we arrived we were before the 1pm check-in time, so we dropped our bags off and had a look around the city for a bit. We came back at 1pm and there was a bit of a wait to check-in (10-15 mins); there was only two people on the counter.

Once we got to our room it was presented as I would expect for a hotel room and not a backpackers. I had to go back to reception to ask for more pillows (there was only two very thin pillows) and the fridge was not working (and it stunk quite a bit). I was surprised at how quickly the responded to providing more pillows and to fixing the fridge.

The bed was comfortable albeit a bit soft, but then again better compare to many a hotel bed I have slept on. The private ensuite was better than what I had expected. The shower pressure was good and the ensuite was very clean.

I have read that it can get very noisy because of the Globe bar below. We were not directly over the bar and did not have any issues with noise coming up from the bar. The only noice was from the slamming doors, but this was a minor issue. The only real issue with the room was that it could get very hot - the air con seemed to work for most of the time, however when it didn't the room got quite hot, to the point where we left the room door open to let in cooler air.

Most of the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help you out. we opted for the late check-out at 12pm; this wasn't noted properly on our reservation so we were woken up by the cleaner at 10:15 - this is a minor negative to the overall service. The front desk apologised and did not charge us the full fee for late check out.

Overall, I would recommend this backpakers to anyone really. For $80 a night for your own room, this was very good overall value for money.

Room Tip: ry and get a room that is not over the Globe bar to avoid (reported) exessive noise. Also try and ge...
1  Thank MattFromAus
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here in November 12 in one of the budget 4 bed no window rooms, this was due to Base upping the prices to ridiculous amounts as there was a concert on. Upon checking in at around 5pm there was one girl on reception with a queue of around 8 people waiting to be served, everyone was getting impatient. Once we got into a rather smelly room in what looked like a carnival set up of a corridor I had the delight of staying on the top bunk of the wobbliest bunk ive ever stayed in, genuinely could get motion sickness on there. After notifying 2 members of staff about this i later had to email them as i had no response, surprisingly also got no response from the email. To top it off the ac unit or whatever it was supposed to be didnt work so we all roasted through the night. Only stay here if the rest of Auckland is full!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Im quite a well travelled backpacker and have stayed in over 40 different hostels around the world and this is by far the worst by a long way.

The positives: Location.

Now for the negatives, where do i start.......

Reception: this is a very big hostel yet they only put one person on reception. There ius always a queue and you never get seen once in under 15 minutes. The staff are very slow and very miserable. Also they checked us into the wrong sized room twice. They also double booked us meaning we had to check out of one room and into another causing inconveinience.

Rooms: There are two blocks, one is ok and one is terrible. The terrible one is basically a converted open space office floor which has rooms constructed within it that are like a store cupboard. There is no out side window so no natural light or air.

The bathrooms: The showers are on timers to cut down on their water bill. They last for no joke a great 12 seconds at a time before turning them off. Also they alternate between hot and cold.

The kitchen: There are not enough appliances for the number of people using the kitchen. Onbe toaster and only 1 working microwave. Also the hobs dont work properly so cooking is a nightmare.

So just to sumarise sleeping is bad quality, washing urself is difficult and cooking is difficult.

This place has a cheap price tag but is not evben worthy of it. To top it off they charge you $2 per bag for storing luggage on the day u check out.

I would rather stope on the streets than stay here again. Another great delivery from the chain of base hostels!!!!!

1  Thank zed1985
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed at this hostel in October. First time to New Zealand and travelling alone so wanted to stay somewhere well known and somewhere that had a bar.
I stayed in the female only wing (the sanctuary) in a four bed dorm. The room was quite small but it was very clean and the beds were really comfortable.
The hostel itself seemed clean and tidy at all times and the kitchen was always clean with plenty of stuff to use.
The globe bar was a really good place to meet people and the staff always organised diifferent things every night and it was always a good laugh.
Only downside is that it is a very big hostel so can be hard to meet new people, but all in all a great place and would defo stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Cost 18 NZD for 4 bed dorm room, no windows. Found staff there to be quite blunt and not that helpful. Rooms clean and decent enough, but very very warm in the night. The bathroom facilities were poor- shower was awful. Had to keep pressing button for the shower to stay on and the toliets weren't in the same location, very inconvenient. Facilities were okay such as TV lounge, kitchen and a pool table that has seen much better days. Decent location. Over I would class this hostel as average to poor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends