Base Auckland Central Backpackers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)
$134
Hilton Auckland(Auckland Central)
$274
$266
$144
  • Restaurant
Pullman Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
$110
Heritage Auckland(Auckland Central)
$139
  • Restaurant
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$122
$102
Agoda.com
  • Fitness center
  • Free Internet
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$151
$128
  • Pool
Kiwi International Hotel(Auckland Central)
$55
$53
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)
$195
Travelocity
  • Pool
Quality Hotel Parnell(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$120
$103
1,020 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night on the 28th March 2012. We were attending a gig at the Powerstation. We booked a twin room with ensuite.

Positives
Excellent location, right on Queen Street. Easy access to buses. Airport bus stops right outside the hostel.
Staff were friendly and helpful
The room was small but adequate and was clean. Pleasantly surprised to find clean towels, shower gels and tea and coffee facilities.
Slight niggle: the water in the bathroom tap was hot,couldn't get any cold water.

Major Negative
We stayed on the third floor, can't remember room number but I was told that all rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor were twin rooms with ensuite. We came back to the room around 12.30am. Discovered that the room was directly over the bar/club downstairs. Absolutely horrendous racket until way past 3am. It was totally impossible to sleep. We tried ear plugs, plugging into our ipods , all to no avail. Finally at 2am we realised the noise was not going to stop. We went to the front desk where an helpful and apologetic guy suggested we move to the tenth floor. At 2.30ish we had to pack our belongings and move to the tenth floor. The room was not a twin but by that stage we would have slept on the floor. Even at the tenth floor the noise from the nightclub was still discernible but not enough to stop sleep.

The hostel should warn guests on booking that their rooms on the lower levels are subject to a very high level of noise and that sleep is impossible.
I suggest that a member of the management team sleep in one of these rooms so that they can be aware of what it is like.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor to avoid sleep deprivation.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank veggie89
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was the very first hostel I have stayed at and now at the end of my trip i can safely say it was the worst!!! I arrived to rude receptionists and was put in a dorm with 3 men and had one sleeping in my bed!!! After telling reception about my issues of the dorm being trashed and all, they couldn't care less. Broken bottles in the shower, fights in the hallways, VERY dirty. Not good at all. If you want to stay at a hostel in Auckland, go to Freemans lodge, which is what i did. I'd never go back to Base Auckland even if you paid me!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank monbijou83
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Over a few years of travel, have seen lots of ads for different Base hostels and had never been in one. They were always more expensive than other hostels and the ads made it look quite nice. Definitely a case of false advertising.

We spent 2 nights at the Auckland city location. The stay was part of our visa package so it wasn't our choice. The staff we encountered were all helpful and friendly. Our flight was an overnighter so we got to the hostel around 7:30am. They didn't have a room for us so we stored our luggage in the storage room and tried to sleep in the TV lounge. (There are 2 TV rooms with decent couches but you can't control the TVs.)

They got our room ready by about noon. It was small but had a little fridge. We had a double without an ensuite. It was on the 10th floor so the drawback was having to use the lifts - they were very slow and sometimes I wasn't sure the doors would even open since they were kind of creaky. There were buttons missing with duct tape over the holes. The ground floor constantly smelled like smoke because the front doors are always open. This seemed to travel up the elevators too because they smelled. Also, for the size of the hostel, they were small and even 2 people with their bags left little room for others.

The bed was terribly uncomfortable - really worn, almost could feel the springs. The first morning my husband noticed a couple bites on his back but didn't think anything of it. The next morning we both woke with several bites on our sides/backs. We told reception and showed them our bites. They assured us it wasn't bedbugs but looked "more like flea bites" (!?!) and they made a note of it. Not sure what course of action they took as we checked out that day. She apologized and didn't offer any sort of anything - I was thinking they would be kind to offer to have all of our clothing washed. If we weren't checking out, I reckon we would have requested a refund for remaining nights and left.

We didn't use the kitchen because we've probably never seen a hostel kitchen that's even remotely clean. I went in to fill up our water bottles and grab a couple spoons. It was pretty typical with dishes and mess everywhere, and a packed full fridge.

At least the 2 nights were rather quiet - we could hear a busker down on Queen St the first night but didn't get woken up by other guests. The rooms got chilly because you can't open windows and the a/c ran all the time. The washrooms were clean enough, could have more shelves in the shower stalls though as there are only hooks and a tiny shelf for soap.

We got free breakfast with the stay, it was toast and museli but got something in our tummies. We got a free drink at The Globe Bar - when we went, she couldn't pour a beer as all the taps were just pouring foam or nothing. So we tried to stomach the wine and whiskey in plastic cups that we got instead of beer. This bar is tragic.

Overall, would not return to this Base and I would really not likely try out another Base-brand hostel. The main plus was the location was good and we could walk to many places.

If you are over 26 and can afford even a little more per night, you'd probably have better luck on Air B&B. We also had a decent stay at a hostel called the Yaping House in Mt Eden - not great at all, but at least we didn't wake up with bites there.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a quieter room? Ask for a bug-free room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teamBCtravellers
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The perfect location for Auckland, for the bus to the airport, for the buses that go around the 'loop' and for the ferries that go out to the islands and over to Coromandel. I stayed a few nights. It was a far cry from the blissful Shangri la in Thailand but I needed to claw back some of my budget. I shared a room with 3 other women who were very pleasant, two of us were from the same locality so we went out for an Italian meal and a natter. The room was tiny and stuffy but the bunk bed was surprisingly comfy and the linen clean and cosy. The people at the desk were very helpful and welcoming. All ages were welcomed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night, not a great sleep. Very big, loud backpackers - which is the standard for city backpackers. If you want to party, there is a large, loud bar in the basement. Wouldn't stay here for an extended amount of time - too small and cramped - but otherwise it was fine for one stopover night in Auckland.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends