“Good value in a fun place to stay.”
Review of Jucy Snooze

Jucy Snooze
Ranked #11 of 58 Auckland B&B and Inns
“Good value in a fun place to stay.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I (no it is not the Queen doing this review!) really enjoyed our stay here. It is great for silver tops like us as our reasonably priced ensuite room was very comfortable.
The international kids staying here were very friendly as we're all the staff.
Will always recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013
jucylucy_11, Manager at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback! Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay at JUCY Hotel and everyone was friendly and welcoming. We also loved to hear back from everyone that stays here, even if you are not the Queen! (Im still waiting for her review !??)
Anyway… I really hope we get the pleasure of you staying again.

And thanks again for the awesome review!

Lucy xx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nuremberg
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I would not categorize Jucy as a hotel. The rooms are absolutely basic (bed, little table, coat rack, electric kettle and heater and that’s it, in the bathroom there was not even a hook to hang a towel).
It is not very clean not to say dirty, the windows didn’t close very well, so it’s getting very loud especially over the weekend’s nights.
The breakfast is a real joke - instant coffee, cereals and a little milk. For this money you can have a fantastic breakfast at the café around the corner.
For this basic standard Jucy is far too expensive. Barrycourt Quality Hotel in Parnell is a much better option for the same value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jucylucy_11, Manager at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback on your recent stay with us. It's disappointing to read that you were not happy with your room or our facilities.

The Hotel rooms are basic with a LCD TV, coffee making facilities and a large wet room bathroom. We haven’t had the request for towel “hooks” before, as we have a couple of towel rails in each bathroom. But we have noted this down.

The breakfast consists of cereal, milk and a barista made coffee weekdays for $7- which we though was pretty good as most coffees in Auckland are around $4 alone. We do realise in the weekend our coffee shop is closed, so the breakfast box comes without a coffee for $4. Im sorry that you found this not adequate, but great that you found a coffee shop that does breakfast for that price!!

We do appreciate feedback like yours as this helps us to continually improve the service we offer our guests, so thank you.

Have a great Day

Dunedin
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my partner. The plus side to this place was how close it was to Vector Arena, hence why we booked it. I understand that we stayed on the 'backpackers' side of the establishment, but things like not having soap in the bathrooms, having the loos filled with vomit, and also the noise... which goes on for most of the night are not acceptable. I would not recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DunedinLay_la
jucylucy_11, Manager at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback – its really appreciated,(even if its not so good).

I'm so sorry to hear that you found the shared bathrooms on our hostel side to be unpleasant during your stay. Our cleaners do a full clean on these bathrooms twice a day and also run spot checks. In addition to this if the cleanliness of the bathrooms is brought to our attention by a guest during the day we will arrange for these to be cleaned straight away.

Our staff do as much as possible to police the noise, as we can appreciate noise is not ideal when you're trying to get a good nights sleep but the noise level at the hotel does rely heavily on the respect of other guests staying at the time

Thanks again for your feedback. Comments like yours help us to continually improve the service we offer in the future.

Lucy xx

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Plus points - amazingly comfortable bed - new memory foam mattresses - clean bedding - helpful staff

Minus points - room fan noisy. I had to wear earplugs to sleep, and as I wear hearing aids during the day this must have been bad.
- no bedside light
- The fan and picture rails in the room were thick with dust and clearly hadnt been cleaned in many months
- you have to pay a further $15 a day for wifi which is a bit steep for business use, alternatively $3 an hour.
- you have to pay $4 for a towel. Add this and the wifi to the basic price and you' re better off at a more expensive hotel where such things are inclusive. Jucy doesnt put kettles in yr room, and little things like that would be inclusive elsewhere.

- The decor, and bedding all matches the company's horrendous colour scheme of lime green and purple - not particularly relaxing, added to which the walls are adorned with cheeky quips from Lucy, such as "If at first your dont succeed, then try flirting". How infantile! They add absolutely nothing to the experience except ammunition for complaint.

- The shared bathrooms bear absolutely no resemblance to those in the pcitures of the en suites.
- hand drying facilities by the sinks is inadequate. One small had towel for so many is unhygienic. Paper towels would be better.
- The shared bathroom facilities were filthy. Not the actual loos. The floors hadnt been cleaned in absolute ages. I wiped some water from the floor near the sink with some tissue and it come up black, not grey, black. The ledges on the door panels and the grab area of the doors were also black. I complained and was told they were cleaned daily, so I took the man with me armed with some wet wipes to demonstrate. This was the case in 3 different sets of facilities I used. (Basement ground and first floor). He agreed that something needed to be done. I advised that a deep clean was needed, not just a quick wipe., and he agreed. However, I was due to leave 48 hrs later and cant say if this had been done. It certainly hadnt been started when I left.

Some of the smaller points are the difference between being a hostel and a hotel. Had I wanted a hostel, I would have gone to one, but I wanted a budget hotel with a bit more than a hostel has to offer.
However, the cleaning issue is different. I often offer B&B in my own home and know just what has to be done. I did make it known that I used Trip Advisor, one would have thought that some urgent work on at least the bathrooms near my room would have been done as damage limitation, but sadly I cant report that to be the case.

On my arrival I was very tired having come in on a red eye flight from Aus. I winge a lot when tired, and wanted to get a room ASAP, although I knew it was hours before check in. They certainly tired very hard to get one for me. However the room I was shown to in the basement smelt badly of mold. 2 members of staff agreed with me on this. I refused the room. I looked round the room with the receptionist and agreed there was no obvious source. maybe it was to do with something outside or structural, like the lack of a damp course. However on reflection it could well be that the room is under the residents kitchen or some other plumbing and there' s a slow leak affecting the ceiling of the room in question.

I have tried to be fair and offer solutions to the problems in this review, but I tell it like it is. See what I have said about other places I have reviewed. I am not a born complainer

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SuzieQuartly
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hi there

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We do really appreciate feedback such as yours as it continually helps us to make improvements to the property.

Firstly let me apologise that the condition of our property did not meet your expectations and that you found a number of things not up to standard. I can assure you that all of this feedback has been discussed with hotel management and they are going to look into all your comments and look at ways to implement improvements.

I just wanted to make it clear that the JUCY Hotel does have two sides – one side offering basic backpacker rooms with shared bathrooms and the other offering hotel style rooms with private bathrooms. The ensuite rooms have their own bathrooms which you would have seen on the website. The shared side does have shared bathrooms and our hotel cleaners do clean these bathrooms twice a day – morning and afternoon, and if needed throughout the day if a particularly dirty bathroom is brought to their attention. I can appreciate your feedback about hand drying facilities in these shared bathrooms and I’ve definitely passed that on as paper towels or a hand dryer could be an easy improvement.

Our property runs off a “plus-plus” model. This means that we offer our guests affordable rates and those guests that would like the extra luxuries (such as housekeeping & WiFi) can receive these by paying extra for only the services they require.

The décor of our hotel, like our campervans are bright green and purple. We like the colour scheme (we’re biased) but can appreciate that it’s not for everyone. From our website and the photos on there I do believe that when booking all our customers are aware that they will be staying in green & purple surroundings. I’m sorry if you didn’t feel that that was clear.

I am glad to hear that overall you found our staff helpful, the mattresses comfortable and the bedding to be clean. I do hope that you were able to enjoy your time in Auckland and as mentioned above we do appreciate your feedback.

United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before catching a morning flight out of the country. Was originally going to stay in a hostel but decided I wanted a good nights sleep so booked myself into a single room at Jucy hotel. The hotel was easy to find, just down the road from the transport and ferry centre however the hill up to the hotel is a killer so be prepared. Upon arrival the guy at the desk was very helpful, he gave me my room key and told me they were 24 hrs should I need them. He didn't mention the availability of wifi/Internet or the lounge, which would have been nice but I found out about them when I popped down later, he was also very helpful with directions to the shops and to countdown for food. I didn't use the lounge or kitchen but I had a look and all seemed nice and clean although I couldn't spot an oven which I found a bit odd. Would also be nice to maybe have a vending machine as there aren't many food shops that close.

The room was good, if a little small. Furniture consisted of a single bed, bedside table, mirror, shelves and free standing fan but I didn't need any more. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in for a long time! The room was a little hot on arrival even with the open window so I had to keep the fan going all night which was a bit noisy but bearable. I would have liked to see an extra lock on the inside of the door in the room to make it feel safer.

The shared toilets and shower down the hall were clean and functional, the only improvements I would suggest would be the addition of hand sanitizer to the toilets ( the sinks are with the showers so if the showers are busy you can't wash your hands... Not nice!!) and maybe putting paper towels instead of an actual towel in by the sinks to make it more hygienic.

In the morning there was a different set of staff on the desk and they were just as helpful with directions to the bus stop for the airport. All in all a good stay for the money.

• Stayed February 2013
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. It’s fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay, you found our staff friendly and rooms clean.

I appreciate your suggestion about the addition of hand sanitizers in the toilets – I’ll definitely pass that onto our hotel management.

Wishing you safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again should you be back in Auckland and need a place to stay.

Wellington
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed there on September 2012. Rooms are quite standard as we stayed in two defferent ones and also for good price. Beds are comfortable and rooms are big enough. Everything was clean and perfect. Staff are really friendly and helpful.Definitely coming back in few weeks with my family.

Room Tip: Had room downstairs with a big window to garden. Really quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi Lucie

Thanks so much for taking the time to post feedback on your stay with us. It’s great to hear that you found the rooms clean, beds comfortable and our staff friendly.

We look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a conference recently, as I had a very limited budget and wanted somewhere inexpensive. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel and felt some previous reviews were perhaps a tad unfair. Naturally the room was very basic, as should be expected from a budget hotel, but they were clean and just fine for what I needed. The staff were friendly and helpful, my experience was also much quieter than others had indicated and internet access was very good value. Overall, this wad perfect for a struggling postgrad student who spent all their money on the air fare like myself!

• Stayed January 2013
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hi there

Thanks for staying with us in Auckland when you were here for a conference.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your experience. I’m glad to hear that overall you found that our hotel suited your needs, the room was clean and staff friendly.

We hope to see you again the next time you’re in Auckland and need a place to stay.