“Okay for people on a budget, as long as you don't mind the smell”
Review of Jucy Snooze

Jucy Snooze
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Jucy hotel for 2 nights in December 2012.

The hotel is in a good location. It is about a 10min walk to the shops and 15min walk to the sky tower. It is not on a Main Street which limits the traffic noise.

If you have a car you can book a parking space which is underneath the hotel. I booked it online for $15 per night.

Unfortunately they are the only positives. The corridors look dirty - a re-paint would brighten the place up. Our bathroom had no ventilation so both the bathroom and our room stank of mould. The rooms are very basic which is fine because we spent most of the day sightseeing. But they actually seem bare. I couldn't even find a hair dryer. The corridor is beautifully air conditioned but our room was baking hot. There is a small window and an old fan to aid you from melting.

Sound proofing is also poor. I got little sleep from being able to hear everyone's conversations and televisions.

I wouldn't recommend this place and I definitely won't be staying here again. Perhaps only stay here if you are on a budget and don't want to stay in a hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Hi Jennifer

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to post a review.

I’m pleased to hear that you were happy with the location, found the street quiet and were able to take advantage of our off street car parking. It’s great to hear this and I do hope you enjoyed your time in Auckland.

I’ve taken onboard all your comments regarding the bathroom, ventilation and your recommendation for a paint touch-up in the corridors. This feedback has been passed onto our hotel manager so that it can be taken into consideration when looking at improvements to the property.

We really appreciate feedback like yours as it really helps us to continually improve the service and rooms we offer guests in the future.

Wishing you and your family all the best for 2013.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Nice cheap place .shorts walk to all the main places.but the hill getting up to the places is a mad walk.but rooms are clean tidy..wifi way to expensive.no restaurant .but your close to places.to get a good feed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Terry

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. It’s great to hear that you found our location close to all the main attractions and near good restaurants.

We appreciate that the hill is a bit of a walk, but we like to think it gives all our guests the opportunity to get a bit of exercise while they are staying with us!

I hope you enjoyed your time in Auckland and wish you all the best for 2013.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is the perfect budget hotel! The rooms are spotless, modern and very soundproof. The bed was very VERY comfortable with plenty of extra pillows. Towels were provided and soap. The bathroom was new and clean with a strong shower in a wet room type set up.

The location is pretty central, far enough away from Queen Street to be away from the noise, but close enough to 'pop back to the hotel' to get something.

The staff weren’t over friendly, nor were they rude. They were approachable.

All in all it was exactly what we were after, a central hotel that was quiet, clean, affordable and close to the Vector arena and the theatre. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Hi there

Thank you SO much for your feedback, we really appreciate. It’s fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Auckland and our hotel suited your needs perfectly!

Wishing you all the best for a fantastic Christmas and hopefully we will see you again in 2013!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Conveniently located in Auckland, short 5 minute walk to the Harbour.

Stayed as a walk in on a Friday night last week in November. Room was basic double bed with ensuite. For the price I paid it was nothing special - paid comparable prices around the North Island and got considerably better accomm.

Could hear every word in the conversation being held next door though.

All in all, neither a great place nor a bad place despite the building being old the rooms were clean enough. Reminiscent of a hostel as opposed to a hotel.

Very friendly staff, although the hotel charges for everything but received free parking as I had hired a Jucy vehicle from the airport for my tour of the North Island.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Hi there

Thank you so much for sending through your feedback – we really appreciate it.

I can appreciate all your comments, and am glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful. Feedback is a great way for us to continually improve the service we offer our customers, so thanks again.

I do hope you enjoyed travelling around the North Island in your JUCY Wheels, and wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

My partner and I stayed here twice on a brief trip to NZ. We stayed at a variety of hostels on this trip and Juicy was one of the cheapest. The place has a 'fresh' feel and the colour scheme is lovely!

The location is reasonable. You do have a fairly significant climb up a hill from main CBD/Queen street area, but this also means that there is far less street-noise.

However, the double rooms on the hostel side (as opposed to the hotel side) all appear to be bunks with the bottom bunk as a small sized double bed, so that the rooms can be used as twin/triple rooms as well. Both of the rooms we got smelt damp, and towels are not provided and need to be hired/bought. The beds were very comfortable though, and that's the most important thing!

The kitchen is very small - one sink, one fridge (which desperately needed cleaning) two microwaves and a couple of hotplates. There is only 2 bathrooms per floor, but these are kept reasonably clean. The TV has extremely dodgy reception, and the lounge area is similarly as small as the kitchen.

On our first visit we had a room next to the shared balcony and were kept awake by other guests, but the atmosphere in general was pretty quiet, even a bit awkward given the extremely small kitchen.

Like any hostel this place has it's defects, however, it is a good place to stay for the budget-concious. If you're looking to stay as a couple, I would suggest considering paying extra for a much nicer private ensuite room on the hotel side of the building. If you're looking for a more central location and more of a party atmosphere I'd recommend the Base. We stopped in there briefly to use the wifi and the location, atmosphere and facilities all seemed fantastic.

If you're looking for a good night's sleep I would thoroughly recommend double checking Vector Arena's website to see if there is anything scheduled during your planned stay; Juicy is very close to the arena and I get the impression it is often flooded with concert-goers which is bound to result in an expensive, noisy and crowded stay (although very convenient if you are a concert-goer yourself!)

Room Tip: The doors to the balcony can be shut to prevent noise from other guests.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lily_James7
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hi there

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay with us in Auckland.
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with and that overall had a pleasant stay.

I’m sorry to hear that you found your rooms smelt damp – I will definitely be passing this on along with the rest of your comments to our management team to look into. Feedback like this helps us to continually improve the service we offer our guests in the future, so thank you.

Wishing you safe travels for the rest of your adventures.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here on my first night in New Zealand. I had a twin room to myself as all doubles were taken. The room was nice and clean and warm with a tv and brew making facilities. The bathroom was spacious and tidy with a powerful shower. The hostel was quiet at night and the staff helpful. My only gripe was that it was at the top of a rather large hill as is most of Auckland and so wasn't much fun with a heavy backpack. Well recommended as a crash pad!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us feedback – we really appreciate it. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again next time you’re in Auckland and need a place to stay.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Last minute change of plans meant we stayed one night in Auckland.
Therefore not much time to research where to stay.

Positives
Very central location. 10 min walk to ferry terminal/Viaduct area/Queen st.
Underground parking on site but limited. Reasonably priced parking fee compared to other hotels/public car parks. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable about places to eat/drink etc.

Negatives.
Very basic room. Bed was not comfortable. Room had a damp/musty smell presumably from the ensuite which had no ventilation. Windows were old, drafty and rattled even when closed when there was a breeze. Could hear the conversation of people outside on the pavement (we were on the 1st floor).

Suppose you cannot argue with 90dollars a night for a ensuite room in the centre of Auckland but I think I would rather pay more so at least I can sleep at night!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
jucylucy_11, Customer Service Champion at Jucy Snooze, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback - we really appreciate it.

It is pleasing to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, our location great and the car parking facility affordable and convenient.

I’m sorry to hear that the room you stayed in didn’t meet your expectations and it had a musty smell. I have passed this feedback, along with your comments regarding the windows and noise onto our hotel manager to look into.

Thanks again for your feedback as this will help us to make improvements in the future. I do hope that overall you did enjoy your time in Auckland.