“Nice suites, great location”

The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Washington, D.C.
“Nice suites, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2007

Stayed here for two nights. This hotel has a great location right on the Viaduct Harbour. In fact, I didn't even realize that when I booked the room, so this was a pleasant surprise.
The one-bedroom suites are a pretty decent size, with a separate bedroom and living/dining area. There's also a kitchen, with frig, dishwasher, stove, etc. This is great if you are staying long-term. There is even a small washer and dryer right in the room, which can save you lots of money. (Hotel laundry services are usually ridiculously overpriced.)

There are a ton of restaurants right outside the hotel's back door, on Viaduct Harbour.

This hotel has no fitness center, but there is a fitness facility nearby that the guests may use. (I didn't use the facility, but I believe there is an additional cost for this.) Also, I don't think there is a concierge in this hotel. If that is important, you may want to look elsewhere.

I would definitely stay here again.

Happy travels.

• Liked — The size of the room and the separate bedroom
  • Disliked — Lack of a concierge and lack of an on-site fitness center
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mrwanderlust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Korean first
Emsworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed at the Sebel for 4 nights from the 27th December for the first part of our Honeymoon.
After almost 24 hours of flying we were not disappointed by the first impression of the Sebel, even though it was the middle of the night our luggage was taken from our cab and delivered promptly to our room.
We stayed in a studio suite overlooking Viaduct Harbour and what a fantastic view greeted us.
The location is brilliant, everything we could have asked for right on our doorstep, a good choice of bars, restuarants etc...the noise wasn't an issue for us and in any case with the balcony doors shut it was barely audible anyway. I really don't understand why anyone would complain about the noise of a city centre hotel, surely some noise is to be expected?

The suite itself was comfortable, furnished to a good standard and offers a superb base to explore Auckland from, especially if you don't fancy venturing into the city for dinner as many good restuarants are right there in the harbour.

All in all a pleasant stay and a fantastic beggining to our Honeymoon, if we ever visit New Zealand again then the Sebel will certainly be on our list of places to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RRBM
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

I got a fantastic rate from wotif and booked a marina view room for about $NZ 215. This was a proper suite ie with a seperate bedroom from the kitchen/ bar/ dining room / lounge. The suite was very large (bigger than my flat), was modern clean & very stylishly furnished. And the suite & balcony had a fantastic view over the marina & harbour. Perfect location. Nice and quiet in the room even with bars below open. Mini bar prices very reasonable too.

I have stayed in top end hotels around the world. If you need 5 star services like proper conciege, bell desk then don't stay here. There is no pool either. But the suites are super comfortable and if you get a good rate, unbeatable value.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Justin6
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

I stayed at the Sebel for 2 nights starting Oct 20-22. It was the perfect place for me. I had 1 bedroom Suite overlooking the city. From the moment I opened the door to my room, I knew it was a special place. The Suite was tastefully decorated. The living room couch was on the small side and the Queen bed was very comfortable. The views was just outstanding. The Auckland Tower was just hard to miss as it stared me from every angle of my living room.
Since it was the weekend, the evening is a party atmosphere downstairs along the water. If you open your windows and the sliding door, it can become distracting. As I kept it shut, there was no noise. If you can reserve a room higher up, I dont think the noise will be a problem.
Queen street was a 5 minute walk. All the souvenier shops sell the same things and I realize if you purchase gifts such as postcards, t shirts, mugs, etc., the shops along Custom Street and the first souvenier shops on Queen street is a preview of what youll find further up towards the tower.

• Liked — rhe room
  • Disliked — the front staff...snooty
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank kianaplace
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in August of 2006 as part of a round the world trip, and found the Sebel Suites to be very good.

The location is right on the waterfront and there are a few very good bars and restaurants on the door step.

The suites were clean and tidy, and had a moderately sized double bedroom, good bathroom with separate shower, kitchenette, laundry facilities and a small living area. They were perfect for us as a couple for our short stay. Each day the rooms were fully serviced and dishes done for us. From our small balcony we could see the Sky Tower (when it wasn’t completely obscured by cloud and fog).

The concierge was helpful in arranging a day trip to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua in advance of us arriving in NZ, and provided us with our booking receipts and information the evening we arrived.

The couple of small complaints which we had were that one of the roller blinds in the bedroom was broken and actually fell off when I went to shut it. I phoned reception and they assured us that we wouldn’t be charged as they already knew of the problem. I actually fixed this myself as I wasn’t keen on having a maintenance man working in our room late at night. It was however inspected the next day. The second thing which I noticed was that the hotel was being refurbished. During our time the corridor we were staying in was covered in newspaper and masking tape, and the walls and doors were extremely dusty from sanding. No doubt this is only temporary and will look good once it is finished, but it is something to be aware of at the present time.

Auckland itself wasn’t as good as we had hoped. Unfortunately it poured for the whole of the three days we were there which certainly had an impact, and meant that we did not get to enjoy the outdoors and waterfront. But beyond that, it is not very traditionally ‘Kiwi’ and there are a lot of cultures competing with each other. In my opinion it certainly does not compare to Christchurch or Wellington, and it is nothing like Sydney.

If we were ever to return to Auckland, which would only be for a short stopover, then it is likely that we would return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
27 Thank luckystrike
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

If you are looking for a great location right in the heart of the city and beside the bay look no further than the Sebel. The rooms are large and well fitted with cooking facilities, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers. Right on the Bay with great restaurants and bars just seconds away. Could'nt have been better.

13 Thank rugbypopsie
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2006

We recently had 2 nights at this hotel, and can't help but compare it to other experiences in similar rating hotels.
On arrival, check in was courteous and efficient, but there was no offer of help with baggage, even though there appeared to be baggage trolleys and staff available. We didn't feel very special and after parking the car in the basement somehow managed in one trip to get the bags to lift and then to the room. There weren't even any baggage trolleys in the carpark for self service.
Anyway, the room was well appointed, with views and facilities as promised. Be warned, this is a noisey spot, especially on friday and saturday nights, with many restaurants below,which turn into bars a nightclubs clubs later on.
Some other comments I have - the bedroom had no dressing table - no where to put those things down that you normally carry in your pockets or bag etc as you undress. There was only one mirror, which was in the bathroom. I am sure a mirror in the bedroom would be of value to any person trying to get organised for a big night out.
Also, the bathroom had tiles through out (as they normally do), which were very cold on the feet. Most hotels would have these heated, or supply complementary slippers for this environment.
The bath is only big enough for one person - depending on your plans this may be an important point to note!
There is no shelf or ledge in the shower to put shampoo or other necessary items on - they are not the only hotel guilty of this, and it means you have to put everything you need on the floor.
The bathrobes were excellent quality, and a real treat to lounge about in.
Toiletries in the bathroom were - well, what can I say, nothing special. I would expect more from a hotel like this.
The kitchen - equiped with plates, cups, glasses and cutlery, didn't have a chopping board, which would have been useful for fruit, which I always travel with, or even a cheese board, which we enjoyed while sitting on the deck with our wine and the wonderful view.
Check the price quoted - does it include GST or not - ours didn't, which is not quite right here in NZ.

Also note, there is an indoor heated pool and gym right across the road, which is not mentioned on their website anywhere, and this can be important to some people.

Would we go back ? - maybe. The location, view and quality of room was excellent. All staff we encountered were professional, courteous and polite. For the price, I would just have expected some more little treats! No welcome bowl of fruit, free drink in the bar or chocolates on the pillow at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006