“Amazing Hotel”

The Langham, Auckland
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2010

This hotel has my highest recommendations. Upon arrival after traveling for 24 hours, the staff was friendly and the room was set-up with slippers and bottles of water. We stayed there twice and were upgraded for no charge the first time to an executive room. For the second visit, the hotel was full so we stayed in a standard room. I'd definitely recommend spending the few extra dollars to upgrade, although the website did not do a good job of spelling out the differences between a standard and executive room. The upgrade include more space, a flat screen TV instead of a standard one, a French coffee press, a better view and other small touches that made the room more comfortable.

The location couldn't have been better, set next to a beautiful park and within walking distance to the museam, downtown, Viaduct Basin and other attractions. We used the free shuttle often.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Auckland

Reviewed May 9, 2010

The Good Stuff:
Service and professionalism -- this is what old school hoteling is all about.
The Shuttle into and out of the CBD -- helped make up for its slightly out of the way location
Nice clean and very comfortable room with an AMAZING BED

So So
The decor is newly done and looks dated (I actually thought it was in really good nick for something that was 10 or 15 years old --then read it had recently be redecorated!!!) - it won't be to everyone's taste but in many ways it pulls off elegant pretty well.

BAD:
35bucks a day for internet access --COME ON!!! I hate when high end hotels charge exorbitant prices for wifi access or charge at all!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HavHun65
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I had a couple of days in Auckland before returning to Sydney in mid April and the Langham looked nice online. Nice is an understatement. The beds are sooooo comfortable. The bathrooom is well stocked with amenties; the stationey is great and their was virtually no noise. The service - almost faultless. I say almost as the only thing that got forgetten was my airport pick up. One of the staff forgot to book it - but that was easily solved. Ate in the Barolo restaurant and was thoroughly impressed - and I work in hospitality. Some of the best food I have had in a very long time.

I certainly intend to stay there again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This was the first place we stopped after picking up our rental car at Auckland Airport and we chose it based on TripAdvisor recommendations. In terms of cleanliness, comfort, and overall interior appointments the Langham is a fine place to stay. The lobby bar is gorgeous and the hotel looks like a tremendous place to have a business meeting.

But. (You knew it was coming, didn't you?) If you're not there on business and you plan on seeing the "holiday" side of Auckland, this isn't the ideal place to serve as your home base. Each night we stayed there I went for walks in the neighborhood and each night I found myself wondering if that was a smart idea, considering the "business transactions" occurring on the street and in the poorly-lit areas to either side. To be fair, this was ONLY a problem at night, because we alternately took the fantastic hotel shuttle down to the CBD or walked down there if it was daytime.

I noticed on other reviews that folks seemed to have problems with the staff. We didn't, and found them helpful whenever we asked any questions (ESPECIALLY the great guy who was our shuttle driver, who gave us a history lesson on one drive to the harbor!) They're not the obsequious "my pleasure to connect you, sir" goofballs we've unfortunately grown accustomed to in the States but we had no trouble with them.

And yes, the parking situation's not ideal, but it's not terrible either. I wouldn't leave anything you value in the car, but the signs everywhere tell you that too. The garage is easily reached from your hotel room, and we saw no indications of vehicle smash-and-grabs (mentioned in other reviews) while we were there.

So I guess the point is that for the same money we could've stayed where we kept shuttling or walking. There was virtually nothing to see around the hotel itself, but as long as it's daytime, it's not a bad area to walk through as you're coming to/going from the more tourist-friendly parts of town. You won't be disappointed by your room or the hotel decor, but if you're traveling with little kids or otherwise value proximity over reliability, maybe somewhere closer to the fun stuff would be a good thought.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank matthew_01
Reviewed April 18, 2010

On a whim I booked the Executive room with Clubroom access, complimentary valet parking and afternoon tea and all day ice cream and fruit and yoghurt, and supper with alcohol, and a bottle of bubbly to your room and use of the spa etc and desserts served after supper , service was second to none, beautiful hotel. Not well situated but there is a shuttle, has one of the cities top restaurants next to it, On a main bus route down to the water front .

Tea of our choice delivered to our door in lovely bone china at a time of our choosing in the morning.

Big soft bath robes and slippers.

Home made breads with the breakfast, the chocolate bread was particularly wonderful.

A beautiful beautiful hotel.

Booked direct with the hotel, $349 dollars for the 2 of us. Bargain.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The hotel is situated on a top of a hill, so it's a bit of a hike back from the city to the hotel. It's about a twenty minute walk into the city. It's a pleasant hotel with flouncy period decoration, not my style, but reasonably inoffensive. The service is very good. It's reasonably priced also, check with the hotel website as they had cheaper deals than many of the companies like Expedia. The beds are very comfortable and the a la carte breakfast is good.

Others have mentioned here the strange pre-charging on their credit cards that this hotel does on check-in and I had the same experience. I've travelled a lot and have never had this happen before, my card is regularly swiped on check-in, but I've never had the full amount plus $100 appear on my account before. if people are on a tight budget this could be very annoying having a certain amount of your available credit unavailable for a week or so afterwards.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2010

For the last 2 nights of our trip we chose the Langham for its location and amenity. We were not disappointed! Not at all expensive for the quality of amenities.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends