“GREAT SPA BUT THE HOTEL DIDN'T QUITE DELIVER..”
Review of Cordis, Auckland

Cordis, Auckland
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was treated to a night at the Langham and a beautiful Polynesian Spa. The hotel itself was a little disappointing. The staff were friendly and very efficient but my room was not ready until nearly 4.30 pm. Whilst waiting I enjoyed the heated pool which is great, as is the spa pool. The room was a little shabby and could do with a refurb. The movie I wished to watch "wasn't available" as I was eventually told after trying three times and then phoning reception. I had dinner at the Palm Court. The food was good but cold by the time it was served and after my main course, the table setting was whipped away. I was not offered dessert nor coffee, although I was offered another glass of wine. I had breakfast in my room which was good and delivered promptly. My experience at the Chuan Spa was faultless - the treatment, the atmosphere, the staff - well done.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on Saturday night and we had a fantastic time! From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed and the staff were highly efficient. We stayed in the Executive Room which was lovely. The bed was super comfortable, the room was clean and we had easy wifi access - dreamy! We also dined at Eight which was fantastic with an amazing selection of food and used the pool and steam room facilities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay again if I had the chance! :)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at the Langham Auckland a couple of weeks ago for business and although I had a comfortable stay it lacked the sophistication I expect from the Langham brand.

My room was clean and well decorated, as per a traditional style Langham hotel, and I appreciated the efficiency of my delicious in-room dinner, however the lighting in the room was dim and not acceptable. As I was staying at the hotel for business I needed to work and 5 lamps and a hall light doesn't really cut it.

Breakfast was good, lots of options, and service from the staff was acceptable for this type of establishment.

Location was great for where I needed to be. Unfortunately it was raining pretty hard when I was there so I didn't get to venture too far away from the hotel in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
tlakl, General Manager at Cordis, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for comments and we are pleased you enjoyed your in-room dining experience and breakfast. We are making plans to refurbish our Classic Rooms and will be addressing the lighting issues when this takes place. We do hope to welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here for 4nights. The hotel is located slightly away from queens street where the main shopping belt is. However, free hotel shuttle bus is provided to get to and return from queens street. Do take note that the bus runs on a schedule (ask for the time table from the checkin counter) and have only about 11-12 seating capacity. Staff are friendly here and they try to address your last name from the moment you step out of your airport transport. Overall, the stay was a pleasant one. If I have to find any fault, then it is the bed. Had a king size bed, which actually is made up of two smaller beds. That's fine but the mattress is too soft. You get those sinking feeling when you sleep on it. May not appeal to people with back problems.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms on the taller building. It has up to 10 level. Otherwise the highest floor is only 4le...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for 3 days, it was nothing short of exceptional! The whole Hotel has a very luxurious feel to it and the outdoor pool was amazing, our son particularly enjoyed it! The food was great, the staff were friendly and attentive.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is nice enough, but after extensive travels around the world, I would stay elsewhere if you have a debit card. - I have not used a credit card for over 7 years - and filled 3 passports in that time staying at many hotels, but The Langham Auckland is the only one that I have encountered that cannot refund money held as a security when I checked in against a debit card. It has been over a month, and after numerous emails (and wasted time) they still have not refunded my security deposit. I had to provide my bank street address, and full account details as they claim they were unable to refund a debit card, which I have never heard of at any other hotel in the world - including others in NZ. If you use a credit card, I'm sure you wont have this problem, but like so many other people, if you only use debit cards, do not stay here!!

Room Tip: Most rooms view a car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew C
tlakl, General Manager at Cordis, Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you Andrew for your comments. We can reassure you that we are making every effort to have the security refunded. We do have a policy in place that we do not place a pre-authorisation on a debit card as we are aware it holds funds against the client’s checking account. We sincerely apologise this policy was not followed in your case. We have addressed this directly with those involved to ensure it does not happen again. We have also been in contact with your bank, who are the ones holding the deposit, and have requested its release on several occasions. We will be emailing you shortly to discuss how we can best resolve the matter. Once again, our apologies for the delays you have experienced.
Kind regards
Darren Thurlow, Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel as part of a conference. The hotel is located outside the downtown area but the hotel provides a great shuttle bus service complementary for guests. The shuttle bus runs to the city centre on a half hourly to hourly frequency. I would have preferred to walk the 15 minutes to the citycentre but the weather wasn't very good for being outdoors.

The staff were helpful although I found some staff knew much more than others regarding logistics like where the closest supermarket is or how long it would take to walk somewhere.

The rooms are very clean and the food served throughout the conference was of a very high quality.

• Stayed: July 2014